• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rookie questions for you guys

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
New question for you guys. I found a set of CPI twins for a decent deal. What do I need to do to run these? Do I need to replace the head? Run a mix of avgas and Premium?

Thanks for the input!

run 10 to 15% race gas 110 or better with these pipes with stock head.
best bang for your buck is to put on the anti ratchet drivers, cut and clip the track. it will free up HP.

Last edited:

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
no need for running any high octane fuel unless you ride below about 3000', like mentioned above rejet, reclutch, gut the airbox and ride. I had a riding partner that ran those pipes on an 02 800 edge and they rocked.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
no need for running any high octane fuel unless you ride below about 3000', like mentioned above rejet, reclutch, gut the airbox and ride. I had a riding partner that ran those pipes on an 02 800 edge and they rocked.

I know CPI does no say you have too but i have had to repair more than one 800 with the CPI twin pipes with stock head Running above 6000 ft for detonation. The Polaris 800 stock is close to detonation even at 6000 ft so with any twin pipe i recommend running some race fuel. It will make the motor last longer.

Last edited:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Buddy of mine ran CPI twins on an '01 800xcsp I sold him, he had also added the VES topend kit, SLP head I had put on there and was fine with pump gas at sea level down to -30*F. IF you are running the ragged edge on jetting you will detonate with any pipe setup including stock.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
Buddy of mine ran CPI twins on an '01 800xcsp I sold him, he had also added the VES topend kit, SLP head I had put on there and was fine with pump gas at sea level down to -30*F. IF you are running the ragged edge on jetting you will detonate with any pipe setup including stock.

Like i said with the stock head run race gas.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Skip the reeds for now as the others said. SLP single, highflow intake, boss high rise seat. I would also go for the porting and head if you can afford it. Ran with an edge with the SLP performance edition and it ran great. Was pull the rope and go. Jesse.

The best bang for your buck! IMO with these few little mods sled stays very reliable never any issues, and it will wake it up with a big RIPPPP!! Along with the porting and heads you can bore out the carbs with no problems out in the snow!

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
A couple easy questions for a "new" polaris rider...

1. Is this a Gen II or edge? How can you tell the diffrerence? Its an '02.
mynewRMK.jpg

2. Are the trailing arms off a Gen I (Indy) interchangeable with above sled?

Never owned a Polaris before and just cut a deal on this one. I ca,e across an old Gen I way back and kept to try an sell the chassis parts. I still have the complete front end and might just keep the stuuf for spares if they'll fit?

NO help on the trailing arms?... Anyone?

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
RMK's have different trailing arms than the regular Edge chassis even on the same year sleds. RMK's have a way to reconfigure the ski stance to be wide or narrow. I'm not sure the Gen I had that feature. The Edge style RMK also has longer shocks with more travel so I think you would be giving up performance to go backwards.

Premium Features