• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VES GOLD Vs. AMSOIL INTERCEPTOR... Same oil?

06IQRMK

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
Getting ready for a trip out west and stopped into my local dealer last night. Looking for a gallon of VES Gold for the 12' 800 Pro. Dealer tells me that they are out of GOLD for the year. They apparently make one order a year and hope it lasts all season. Anyway... He (the manager of the shop!) goes on to tell me that AMSOIL Interceptor is the exact same oil, and WILL NOT void my warranty. I found this funny because this same dealership (different person though...) told me at the beginning of the season that AMSOIL would in fact void my warranty.
Anyone heard anything on this... ? Be a huge cost savings if it was. 15$ cheaper a gallon!!!

M

MN_SUMMIT

Nov 11, 2011
Duluth, MN/Jordan, MN
Using AMSOIL will not void your warranty in any way. This is covered under the Mag/Moss Act. If your engine did fail, the burden of proof would be on the dealership to prove that the oil was the only cause of the failure. As far as oil testing goes, they would only be able to test the oil that you have in the jug and from the oil bottle on the sled. They wont be able to test the oil in the engine at all due to dilution from fuel.

As far as the oil being the same, I say no. Just my opinion, a well educated opinion...

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Run whatever you want. They can't void your warranty over oil. No doubt all of the oils, regardless if in an Amsoil package or Polaris package, were refined and blended by one of the majors anyway.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
AMS builds up on your valves and can cause them to stick...not for a period of time, but worse than most oils.

Klotz or VES is what I run.

S
Dec 26, 2011
MN
poo oil is made by lubetech in golden valley, mn

amsoil is made in superior, wi

2 different companies although niether would void a warrenty and both would be fine to run.

B
You'd have to look up the spec's but when i bought my 12 i asked the dealer if i had to run Gold. He said yea because these sleds need a oil with a flash point of ***** and you risk burning it up if you don't. So i refrased my question and said so if i run my royal purple 2C it will void the warrenty? He was real quiet for a minute and then admitted it will not void the warrenty. They are sales men and want you to buy there product. I would recommend running 10w-30 and trying to get it warrentied haha but yea you can use other brands it ok. Hope this helps

S

Super Sled

Jul 10, 2009
Duluth, MN
Everyone on here is right -- they are different oils, but both are very good 100% synthetic oils. Either one will do your sled right. But your dealer was 100% dead wrong to say they are the same oil, as they are not. Now will they mix together just fine? Yes, this has been done many times, so switching to Amsoil mid tank will not hurt.

I've run Interceptor oil in my 2 strokes for years and not had issues. I like the oil. But I purchased a gallon of VES when i bought my sled so after that is gone I'll decide what oil I want to run in my Pro Assault.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
AMS builds up on your valves and can cause them to stick...not for a period of time, but worse than most oils.

Klotz or VES is what I run.

That is a huge generalization and I'll dare say you didn't do any research before posting that. This is straight from the AMS oil website...

Interceptor: High-performance 2-cycle oil with an emphasis on exhaust power valves. Contains high levels of detergent additives to prevent valve sticking. Replaces manufacturer-branded oils. Injector use or 50:1 premix. Excellent in snowmobiles, motorcycles, PWC, ATVs and jet boats.

AMS Interceptor is more than adequate in oil tests. It is true that the oil will eventually gum up your exhaust valves but that same oil holds it's own. I put it in my D7 (2800 miles), D8 (1800 miles) and Pro (1400 miles) and none of those sleds every burned down.

AMS claims the Dominator is a race oil intended for applications where the motor is tore down and rebuilt.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
When I bought my sled over the phone I said have 2 jugs of oil ready to go with it,. The dealer has shelves of gold and race oil, hoping they were gonna give me the good stuff, i dont care about the cost and they actually gave me the cheaper ipone strawberry oil.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
That is a huge generalization and I'll dare say you didn't do any research before posting that. This is straight from the AMS oil website...

Interceptor: High-performance 2-cycle oil with an emphasis on exhaust power valves. Contains high levels of detergent additives to prevent valve sticking. Replaces manufacturer-branded oils. Injector use or 50:1 premix. Excellent in snowmobiles, motorcycles, PWC, ATVs and jet boats.

AMS Interceptor is more than adequate in oil tests. It is true that the oil will eventually gum up your exhaust valves but that same oil holds it's own. I put it in my D7 (2800 miles), D8 (1800 miles) and Pro (1400 miles) and none of those sleds every burned down.

AMS claims the Dominator is a race oil intended for applications where the motor is tore down and rebuilt.
Didn’t say it would burn down, I said it would stick...causing the valves to open and the wrong RPM…losing HP.

I also said this was over a period of time, someone people don’t maintenance their sleds like they should and let oil sit during the off season, then not cleaning their valves before they go ride…

Yea, AMS Dominator is for race application. Meaning those people will tear down the sled after each race…most riders don’t do this…do you?

I didn’t say it was a bad oil, I suggested it can stick over time…

There was independent study done with all the brand oils and then AMS for 1000 miles, AMS came in 3rd is all I’m saying…

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
i actually used the dominator oil for a period of time in one my other sleds and not once did i tear the motor down to check it out. pour and go. sled still runs awesome today.

as for voiding warranty. salesman pitch. everyone does it.

Premium Features