• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PA Head Questions for those more experienced than I...

06IQRMK

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
Stupid Question?

Im not necessarily worried about the strain that the head would put on the motor AT ALTITUDE. IMO it is not really a power adder, rather a power reclaimer. I know that all manufacturers test their sleds in the mountains and at altitude, test and tune them to run at 10000+ ft. HOWEVER, i beleive that this motor runs great, is strong and reliable at and around sea level stock. with more oxygen, and more compression than the same STOCK motor at altitude. So (and correct me if im wrong) moving up 8 to 10000 ft. the motor still pulls in the same volume of air on every stroke, just without the same oxygen content, causing the combustion to be less... volatile? By returning some of the compression to the motor we may not be regaining 100% of the power, (talking actual numbers) but like their saying making the sled more responsive and crisper.

Anyway... I would probably never run a high comp. head at home. But Now to ask a stupid question. there look to be 3 different options for altitudes on these head kits. what if i were to run a 13.1 instead of the 13.6 that brad recommends at that altitude. Still reclaiming some compression, but doing so in a reserved manner? Im sure brad has tested these kits to the 10th power and they will be great just like he says but for the more conservative... Is that an option? everything else equal im just not putting AS much compression back into the motor, should still wake it up some right? Also wouldnt have to worry about octane as much? Still running 91 but without worrying about Deto. as much?

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
yes you are correct. it would be an improvement, just not as much as the higher compression head. i think brad would still tell you to get the 13.6, assuming that is the recommended head for you altitude, and that would would be plenty safe with 91 octane.

pv

S
Jun 3, 2009
Revelstoke
Ok, to make it simple... Those who have the 13.6 head, how low in elevation have you guys run on premium (91-94) without seeing any signs of deto??

I have no problem mixing with av-gas, just am curious as to how low it will go, also how much lower it will go with the ethanol resistor

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I am bummed now I was hoping my new head was going to make up for my lack of skill lol .
With most oem equipment their is always something left on the table and it usually does not require alot green backs to extract that extra couple of ponys.I opted for the head and left the sled wraps for someone else.After looking at the machine work on the head I am pretty sure it is going to be pull the rope and go sled.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I am bummed now I was hoping my new head was going to make up for my lack of skill lol .
With most oem equipment their is always something left on the table and it usually does not require alot green backs to extract that extra couple of ponys.I opted for the head and left the sled wraps for someone else.After looking at the machine work on the head I am pretty sure it is going to be pull the rope and go sled.

:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features