• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse BOOST-IT Install

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Just about done the first Impulse install. Just sharing some pics. It all went together really well. Pure logic box is gone and now the sled starts and runs like a stocker. We will take it for a few laps of the yard tomorrow and make sure all is good.
We mounted the fuel regulator so if adustments are needed it only takes a few minutes. The auxiliary injectors fit good and direct fuel right towards the intake. The fuel rail is held in place with the fuel lines and does not move from where it sits. It is tight to the steering post, but a miss is a miss. There is some flex on the intercooler boots if it ever had to move a bit.

Really looking forward to seeing how it rips, but I have no doubt it will work like the test sled last spring.

The rest of the kit looked good. We just removed the Prologger and will replace with Boost and A/F guage, as well as a Turbosmart Boost controller. We really want to keep it simple.

This was not a Standalone system, but had stock injectors, a BEGI fuel regulator, and a Pure Logic fuel controller.

For extra Injectors, we used the 450cc Injectors that Impulse and Alpine used as primary injectors as a stage 3 kit. Impulse now uses a 750 cc primary injector with their Standalone system. We now have a total of 740 cc of injector capacity per cylinder, and enough fuel to 350 hp, but still have the driveability and fuel economy of the stock system.
It's nice to have options.:face-icon-small-coo

impulse nytro 001.jpg impulse nytro 006.jpg impulse nytro 005.jpg impulse nytro 007.jpg

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Looks Awesome ! really excited to hear how it rips as well.
Thanks Mike!
The install went really smooth once we figured out a good fuel flow path. There is now ample fuel flow for high boost, and the stock injectors and stock fuel mapping take care of all fueling pre boost.:face-icon-small-hap

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
great job Neil. Just installed 270 mc kit on my nytro. Looking into your setup down the road.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
I like how you go a totaly different route than most others. Keeping It Stupid Simple!!!!

Anyone ditch the standalone and going this route?

Thinking if I do alot of mods to mine theres not a map that supports this. Maybe I need one of those.....

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I like how you go a totaly different route than most others. Keeping It Stupid Simple!!!!

Anyone ditch the standalone and going this route?

Thinking if I do alot of mods to mine theres not a map that supports this. Maybe I need one of those.....
I am shipping a kit out Monday to a guy with the standalone. There are many more who are waiting to see how this one runs.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Don't want to sound like a nay sayer, but can this kit really be better than the stand alone? I thought everyone had been having good luck with it. I am watching this kit closely, and can't wait to see how it works in lots of peoples hands, but better than a standalone??? Interesting....

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Does this system have a fuel map? or is it just a linear system like a water/meth controller where you set the start and max points? Does it have altitude compensation like MC (addon perhaps) ? Would like to try one but just can't bring myself to disconnect what I have when it works so well. Really glad to see other options though, as I have ran into lot's of systems out there that really seem to be lacking in their fuel management. This system will be great for someone that wants to do a diy system or perhaps down the road there will be "kits" available with no fuel system and then this can be added to make it work.

Last edited:
N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Don't want to sound like a nay sayer, but can this kit really be better than the stand alone? I thought everyone had been having good luck with it. I am watching this kit closely, and can't wait to see how it works in lots of peoples hands, but better than a standalone??? Interesting....
Better is a matter of perception. What is better? I personally have tried every option of fueling my turbo sleds except a standalone system. If a standalone system was closed loop like a vehicle so it could make fuel adjustment based on air fuel ratio, then realistically, what could be better?
Well this may, or may not happen in the near future, so we go to what we perceive as the next best option.
The issues I had running bigger than stock injectors, were overfueling on the bottom end driveability, causing poor throttle response and poor fuel economy. The other problem was that the only way I could get enough fuel supply for sustained levels of high horespower, was to run huge fuel pressure from a fuel regulator that was never designed to be in wet conditions.
This cause erratic fuel supply issues that resulted in lean or rich fueling most every day.
I thought the next best option was MCX fueling. I watched how they ran every day, and the only issues that I ever seen were a periodic stumble when rolling on the throttle, and no adjustability for fueling when changes were made to the engine, turbo sizing, compression, exhaust, etc. This is one of the reasons that MCX released their Megatune program, so people could download custom mappping in the MCX software and compensate for the modifications.
The MCX sleds always got the best fuel economy of the group, and always seem to make reliable consistent wide open runs.
My system has a digital map sensor that adds fuel for boost, and senses rpm and adds fuel every engine rotation at the amount the customer wants to add per rotation.
My system knows the difference between 7 lbs of boost at 7000 rpm, and 2 lbs of boost at 7000 rpm, and will fuel accordingly.(this is just an example).

I have studied fuel injection for literally hundreds of hours, and have learned why it is hard for a 750 cc injector to fuel properly in a vacuum situation for a 1000 cc engine. I have also resigned to the fact that these snowmobile engines will not always run spot on, no matter what technology we throw at them.
I figured that the most simplistic way, was to let the stock system do what it was designed to do, and I just had to take care of the fueling under boost. If I could find a way to make the transition as seemless as possible, then it was successful. Better yet, if I could find a way to adjust it all on the hill, then what could be better. I am confident that I can make my sled run the same every day in every condition, and never pull out a laptop. I will get great fuel economy, and still have enough fuel for huge boost if I decide to crank it up.
It may not be "better", but time will tell.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
great explanation, I hope once you get a bunch running this year we hear some great things. If that happens I might very well be another of your customers. Time will tell.

If you get a chance send me your info on the boost-it kit, my outgoing e-mail is not working so send it to weltonkb at verocitywireless.net this would be on a powderlites kit as signature tells you if that makes a difference.

thanks

kirk

Premium Features