• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

adj steering post, why you all take yours off?

F
Apr 5, 2009
was wondering why all you guys were happy that you took off your adj steering post? is it because most of you are in the mountains and dont change the location of you bars much or at all? just put one on my 08 xfire and cant wait to ride with it. but im in MN and do a lot of trail but get off and play when and where i can.

was just wondering?

thanks

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Those posts are garbage thats why people take them off

I am interested in the answer on this too.

Braaap12 that may be true but that doesn't really answer anything:face-icon-small-con. Could you provide a little more info please?:face-icon-small-hap

What makes them garbage? Please elaborate.

Samiam

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I put an adjustable post on my 07 M1000.
I rarely adjust it and have had no problems with it.

Some people need a HEAVY DUTY steering post, and the adjustable one from Cat is for people that don't need a heavy duty one.

W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Ajustable posts

I watched a guy on a 09 turbo m8 rideing wheelies down at fairview and after about 8-10 of them he tore out his post, broke off right at the bulkhead . Now granted he was a big guy about 240-250 and about 6' 5" and putting alot of pressure on it doing wheelies but if you think that all these good mountain riders cant put that much pressure on that post in a full year and break it then you need to come and see them.
When you are going down a steep slope that puts you on a sideways cannter and you hit bottom and you need to change your angle and climb to go back up or you hit bottom and get stuck you are pulling and leaning and twisting all at the same time, and you 6' 4" and 235 lbs and wide open it putts a chit load of pressure on all of you steering components. Its not hard to breake things.

Wow im getting worked up just talking about it lets go ride anybody got snow yet? Oh yea its july:hurt:

F
Apr 5, 2009
I watched a guy on a 09 turbo m8 rideing wheelies down at fairview and after about 8-10 of them he tore out his post, broke off right at the bulkhead . Now granted he was a big guy about 240-250 and about 6' 5" and putting alot of pressure on it doing wheelies but if you think that all these good mountain riders cant put that much pressure on that post in a full year and break it then you need to come and see them.
When you are going down a steep slope that puts you on a sideways cannter and you hit bottom and you need to change your angle and climb to go back up or you hit bottom and get stuck you are pulling and leaning and twisting all at the same time, and you 6' 4" and 235 lbs and wide open it putts a chit load of pressure on all of you steering components. Its not hard to breake things.

Wow im getting worked up just talking about it lets go ride anybody got snow yet? Oh yea its july:hurt:

so would you advise me not to sell my stock 08 steering post right a way?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Mine bent on me about 1/2 way through the season and the dealer wouldn't warrant it.

Really pissed me off.

I'm gonna put a ChroMo stem on from Wild Child if he's still making them here this summer some time.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you ride hard, they will break. Not just bend like most posts... BREAK.

Now think about what it's like to try & ride out of your favorite valley without a connected set of bars...

That is why we don't like them.

Bars that bend, no biggie, fact of life.

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
if i can break one (5`11 165lb soaking wet) then i would say they are garbage. however mine did just bend....got a couple of giunger rides out of it after it bent, but it bent forward so there is a little more room for error there. im going back to the non adjustable and getting a riser. and you better belive that the stocker is gonna get a 12 pack of budweiser worth of strengthing before it goes in

K

Klimbing Kitty

Wow.... If a post rips out of the bulkhead it would not have made a difference on what kind of post it was solid or adjustable. All posts bend and all posts break exept for maybe the the chromo ones. besides that the adjustable posts are cheap and you can change it out in about 15 minutes. I weigh a good 250 with gear and pack on and I ride hard and if I have to change a post 2 times a year it is the last of my worries. Its nice to have bars that can go up and down. If your a tall guy and you have a solid post with risers it will bend just as easy. Just my experience

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I LOVE MY ADJUSTABLE BARS, 09 M1000SP, I'M 6'1' 240

WILL BE BUYING THE BDX ANTI-SLOP SUPPORT FOR $50 THOUGH FOR NEXT WINTER, MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE IN STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You guys who feel they're just fine... that's great, good on ya for not having problems.

I'm sorry but my 09 was not my first M & actually has been the lowest riser I've owned on a sled so far. They all may bend or break, but NONE will bend or break as easily as the adjustable ones. Also, if you put a riser with some type of ability to articulate, you're hugely less likely to snap or bend them.

As for the anti slop bushing, that will HELP a bit, but being as how it's able to move in any direction, it's not going to stop posts from breaking. I think it's worth the $60 or whatever, but it's not going to fix the problem.

Oh, and if you're a hillclimber, or you just ride around in the meadows, or you never leave the ground (how one could do that I don't get)... big surprise that they don't break. The reality is that some people ride harder than others, this doesn't mean they're BETTER, they're just harder on their stuff. (you sally longtrack riders probably don't have any problems!!! :p)

I ride hard, I got sick of fixing posts, I changed to a different type of post, I've had no problems since. (and my sled went flipping down a 2800 foot chute at the end of the year, it's taken a beating since then!!:face-icon-small-sho)

Oh, and since we're comparing vital stats... I'm 5'7-9/16" & 180. It's not what you weigh, it's how you ride.

Last edited:
C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
You guys who feel they're just fine... that's great, good on ya for not having problems.

I'm sorry but my 09 was not my first M & actually has been the lowest riser I've owned on a sled so far. They all may bend or break, but NONE will bend or break as easily as the adjustable ones. Also, if you put a riser with some type of ability to articulate, you're hugely less likely to snap or bend them.

As for the anti slop bushing, that will HELP a bit, but being as how it's able to move in any direction, it's not going to stop posts from breaking. I think it's worth the $60 or whatever, but it's not going to fix the problem.

Oh, and if you're a hillclimber, or you just ride around in the meadows, or you never leave the ground (how one could do that I don't get)... big surprise that they don't break. The reality is that some people ride harder than others, this doesn't mean they're BETTER, they're just harder on their stuff. (you sally longtrack riders probably don't have any problems!!! :p)

I ride hard, I got sick of fixing posts, I changed to a different type of post, I've had no problems since. (and my sled went flipping down a 2800 foot chute at the end of the year, it's taken a beating since then!!:face-icon-small-sho)

Oh, and since we're comparing vital stats... I'm 5'7-9/16" & 180. It's not what you weigh, it's how you ride.

could not have said it better myself, if those good damn cliffs would quit popping out in front of me my handlebars would probably be mint too!!!!

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
i guess i dont ride hard.... :face-icon-small-con

I have bent one in 1000 miles and that was from me flying over the handle bars and taking it out with my knees. my theory is that the people who have trouble with them are probably using them in the tallest/taller positions. i am 6 3 and actually ride with them at the bottom when i am boondockin/ sidehillin/ hillclimbin etc. i only put them up when i am really tired and the trail out is really bumping which required me to stand the whole time. I will pop them all the way up which helps the fatigue on the trail out. All of my "harder" riding is done with the bars down low which i think helps the post stay straight. but again, as stated above, people who dont break them dont ride hard apparently?

edit: hard riding requires throwing your sled off cliffs

Last edited:
W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Hard rideing

I rode mine 8' up a tree, no chit 8'. Is that rideing hard enough.he he. Havent broke mine yet but have straiten them twice. I ride pretty hard but dont drop it off cliffs, But mine is also a 06 M7 back when they built them tougher ,( not trying to lose weight everywhere) Oh and by the way im 6' 4" and 230lb in my socks,(and I look good to):face-icon-small-win LOL. Oh wrong post for that sorry:face-icon-small-hap

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
in my opinion the whole steering on the new m8's is weak, the whole thing feel strechy kind of like rubber, I think its the weak point of the sled, in heavy snow conditions if I ride on any slope at all I end up riding with the bars crossed up but its not from slack it feels to me like Im stretching the whole system

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
i just didnt like the extra slop in the adjustable bar, caused by the splines inside. Also didnt like the change in rider position as you raised the bars up. it would push you back farther on the machine. I prefer the rider forward position and that is the main reason i changed the bars.

Premium Features