• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo M8 or M1000 mod?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Looking to pick up another sled this off season and am pondering between either a 2009 pump gas turbo M8, or a 2009 M1000 with pipe/can, fuel box, etc.

What I'm wondering is which one of these setups would be more reliable?

I would think by taking weight off the M1000 and adding weight to the M8 with a turbo and intercooler, that the sled weights would be similar? Am I correct on this assumption?

Kaleb, I know you own both. What's your take? Does one have more of a "fun factor" over the other?

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Just go with a race gas kit on the M8 and be done with it!

Then run at pump gas boost levels and those days you know you want more! Turn up the boost and octane and you can blow your mind with HP!

It just makes sense.....

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
why not a turbo m1000. The pg m8 will beat the mod m1000. but the pg m1000 will walk on the pg m8. You don't really add weight to the m8 because there are parts you remove and leave off, it equals out. I got a 09 m1000 for sell.

K

Klimbing Kitty

Once you start to MOD any sled. The question is not how reliable it is..... it is how good are you at tuning and maintenance. The only advantage to a pump gas turbo is the pump gas:face-icon-small-dis. the M1000 will have low end grunt but any boosted 8 will beat it. The M8 has a very strong engine and holds together better than a boosted M1000 day in and day out. Boosted Vs non boosted the weight is the same. and all mods eventually go :boom:

Like mentioned above if you get a turbo get a race gas that will allow you to turn down the boost so you can run Av gas or pump when you cant afford it. 6 pounds is a tease that will dissapoint

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Once you start to MOD any sled. The question is not how reliable it is..... it is how good are you at tuning and maintenance. The only advantage to a pump gas turbo is the pump gas:face-icon-small-dis. the M1000 will have low end grunt but any boosted 8 will beat it. The M8 has a very strong engine and holds together better than a boosted M1000 day in and day out. Boosted Vs non boosted the weight is the same. and all mods eventually go :boom:

Like mentioned above if you get a turbo get a race gas that will allow you to turn down the boost so you can run Av gas or pump when you cant afford it. 6 pounds is a tease that will dissapoint

The m1000 holds together just as well, the problem is its easier to get greedy with the m1000 as it requires more fuel quicker and less forgiving. But when setup right it is just as reliable.

The det thing is nice on the m8. But out of the hole a turbo m1000 has way more and it just keeps pulling. To me if you have the money to get the turbo then go all the way, rg m1000-1200, or get the same thing your buddy has so there will be a competition.

ACTM7

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2008
turbo

Had pg 8 and ported 1000 last year I running ported 1000 this year lower maint. and just as much fun And pump gas 8 where not that much better if any. Keep in mind this true pg no race mixed. fill up pull and go . For me good running m1000 most fun pull and go sled .

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
CO 2.0 You live in Colorado so you probably ride high elevation I would go with the turbo you will be able to run much more boost safely than low elevation guys. The higher you go the more advantage the Turbo M8 will have on the modified M10.

This is my experience/opinion as a Cat rider/dealer:

A M8 is more reliable and easier on parts than the M10

A Turbo M8 is more reliable and easier on parts than the Turbo M10

Turbo M10 is generally much faster than the Turbo M8 especially at low boost levels.

There are many on this forum who say they have reeds and belts figured out on Turbo M10s but the ones I am around are much harder on both than Turbo M8s

Turbo M8s are a fun sled at 6-8 lbs but at 10-12 they are so much better and with a proper install are very reliable.

Woody

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Kaleb, I know you own both. What's your take? Does one have more of a "fun factor" over the other?

Well, one thing that makes the 1000 more fun for me is the shorter track. The 8 is disgusting, and after 7-7.5 psi, my 1000 won't run with it (keep in mind, it's got no box, no pipe...) but I'm always happy to be back on my 1000.

If money wasn't an issue & you could do whatever you wanted... I'd do a Tm8. But get a real turbo, not some sally PG turbo!!!:face-icon-small-hap

We have never put more than 2.5-3 gal of 112 in that sled & we run up to 15psi, to have a turbo you can't turn up would be a shame.

The Cutler has been the most reliable sled I've ever owned, can't say enough good about that setup.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Awesome! Thanks for all the responses!

Looks like I'm leaning toward a Turbo M8 since it seems like it would give me more at 12K ft over a M1000 mod. A TM1000 would be nice but a little overkill for what I really need. I guess I NEED the race gas kit though to satisfy :face-icon-small-hap. If I only have to use 4 gal or so of race gas up here I'm not worried one bit since I run it in my high compression edge motor and have it on hand in 55gal drums. It's no 112 leaded but it is a very good 104 unleaded sunoco fuel with lots of oxygen. Best unleaded race fuel without MTBE you can get in Colorado.

Glad that Cutler kit is working out so well for you Kaleb. Might have to look into that kit over the Boondocker setup. What turbo are you running with the Cutler kit, Garrett or Aero? I take it you are running an intercooler as well?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Ours is running a Garrett turbo. You won't need anywhere near 4 gallons to run a decent boost, at our altitudes, we can run way less.

Not sure of the downside of MTBE, but I just go to Bandimere & fill up twice a year, I get about 20 gal per trip & it's about all I use. (last tank we ran 5 gallons to get rid of it) Bandimere's fuel is pretty cheap & it's fresh since it gets used more than it would from a normal station.

I'd say my favorite level on that sled is about 10-12 psi, it's extremely strong, but still smooth & predictable, 14+ seems to get away from you a bit, just a bit more jumpy.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Kaleb. MTBE is an additive in some race fuels, and it's illegal to sell "technically" in Colorado. I tried to get some VP MS109 (105oct unleaded) a couple years ago here and was told that it could not be sold in Colorado...ironically I've used it in California many times in my 400whp A4.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
We run 2 gal of race at 9-10,000 in m8's on 7-8lbs and never had a prob. I would think 2 gal on 10lbs at 12k would work.

A m8 on 7lbs will wip the piss out of a mod m1000 at elevation. The m1000 will keep up for the first 70% but after that its all about boost. If not the m8 isn't running right. (there may be a few all out mod m1000's that will, but not any of the ones I've been around, (at elevation)

get the rg kit for sure, it only takes a few seconds of the pg injectors to under fuel and your done.

Premium Features