• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KOSO temp gauge on M8's?

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
In a forest, somewhere in Alberta
I have noticed that a lot of people have been putting a KOSO EGT on their sleds. I am asking why because the only time I have ever seen a EGT go onto a sled is after a sled had a grind and shine job done. I have just switched to Cat from DOO and I am looking for some info. Thanks!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
alot of people with the m8 have an aftermarket pipe and can...which calls for a fuel controller...and these people use an egt to help tune in the new fuel map...which is bogus because the egt is the last thing needed and really not required at all to set the new fuel map...but thats why you see the m8 with egts...oh by the way...they had a real lean spot just before the rpm the power valves opened,,,real lean..if you cruised there you were in a real dangerous zone...it was not possible to richen stock and many of the brands of the fuel controllers still didn;t deal with this zone safely so that was another reason for alot of egts

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
alot of people with the m8 have an aftermarket pipe and can...which calls for a fuel controller...and these people use an egt to help tune in the new fuel map...which is bogus because the egt is the last thing needed and really not required at all to set the new fuel map...but thats why you see the m8 with egts...oh by the way...they had a real lean spot just before the rpm the power valves opened,,,real lean..if you cruised there you were in a real dangerous zone...it was not possible to richen stock and many of the brands of the fuel controllers still didn;t deal with this zone safely so that was another reason for alot of egts

Okay.... with that being said, I am planning to install the SLP performance kit on my M8. Do I now need a fuel controller along with the kit to change the fuel map? I was told that I would not be needing a controller from the local A/C dealer if I was to run the kit. Yes or No?? And at what RPM would this "danger zone" occur at?

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
I run a A/F with my SLP system. It is better for tuning and is more accurate IMO.

I had a Koso but switched to AEM - quicker response time reading.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
if you run the FULL slp performance kit it comes with the controller. and yes you will need it.

per slp... you dont need the controller if you only use their pipe, their intake, and vforce reeds. ANYTHING ELSE, will require a fuel controller. dont mix and match performance shops unless you are comfortable with making your own fuel curves and maps. hard for any performance shop to help if you have problems with X pipe, Y air intake, Z y pipe, and anything else you might find or use. the k.i.s.s. (keep it simple, stupid) principle works well here. ski

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
I will be running the Exhaust portion of the kit. And you guys figure V-force reeds as well? I had a set on a Skidoo once. The boots that came with the V-force cracked after 3 months of use:face-icon-small-fro so I'm a little reluctant to use the V-force reeds again, unless someone has had a better experience with them.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
If you are looking at a 2010 or a 2011 and buy the SLP single pipe kit, they require a fuel controller. It's considered part of the kit. You will get a preprogramed Power Commander 5 (PC-V) and all you have to do is plug it in and ride. You will not need an EGT gauge or a air fuel gauge since SLP has already done all the research work on fuel requirements and preprogramed those perimeters into the fuel controller.

Now, if you deviate from their setup, that's when you will want some sort of tunning aide to help you stay out of trouble.

Then again, the PCV has an "auto tune" function that supposedly will adjust the fuel flow to keep your EGT under a preset level.

The 09 and older M8s did NOT require a fuel controller with just the SLP single pipe kit. However, if you went to the "Performance Edition Kit" (porting and head work) then you need a fuel cotroller.

To make matters even more complicated, SLP is rumorred to be coming out with a "Performance Edition Kit" for the 2010 and new M8s. This should make the 2010 and 2011 M8s really wake up. Since with only the single pipe the 2010 and 2011 models make 170 hp. My guess is they will be in the 180+ hp range from a naturally aspirated 800cc engine. Now that would be fun and without the complications associated with harnessing boost.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
And at what RPM would this "danger zone" occur at?

around 5900 to 6700 rpm..at least in my sled,but i have the bigbore etc...and i think if you are going to get aftermarket reeds..(there is much discussion about them having any positive effect on the cat laydown motor)...i would go boyensen rage cage before vforce..

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I use my egt's as a tuning aid. But mostly I use them as a safety or warning indicater!

Without a doudt my motor would blow up without egt's! Being able to know when my exhaust temp is reaching the point of engine failure saves me multiple times per day!

Egt's are allot more then just a tuning tool.

I also use my coolant temp readings multiple times per day in the same way.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
One thing you might be concerned about is that KOSO gages have to be reset after you shut them off, 2 stroke,4 stroke how many cylinders etc. unless you have a battery, maybe they've fixed that. My 2 cents

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have KOSO EGT gauges as well. The winter of 2008-2009 I had just the SLP single pipe kit with no fuel controller. I had my EGTs going to red flashing at 1250 and I saw 1365 degrees in the mid range several times and figured I'd be going home on the end of a rope but, there was no damage at all when I tore down the motor to send it to SLP for their Performance Editon Upgrades.

So honestly, I don't even look at my EGTs anymore. I guess you just should not hover at a given speed in the midrange for very long.

Premium Features