• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Metal Chunks in 08 Diamond Drive

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I was taking apart the diamond drive, and upon draining the oil, noticed a lot of small flecks of metal in the oil. Upon splitting the case, I got out some pretty big pieces of metal. What do you think they are from? I did not bet the output gear / planetary apart. Do I need to pull some bearing to get this assmebly further apart? Any help is appraciated.

P1010276.jpg P1010278.jpg P1010279.jpg

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I am going to pull it apart. What tools do i need to get the gear cluster in the picture above apart to get a better look. I am guessing I need some sort of bearing puller?

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
Check out this thread and you will realize what those bearing retainer parts are from.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151644
Your output shaft bearing went out and you are not alone...Hopefully none of the balls got out because if they did you probably need a new box. If they didn't you can probably flush the case and change the bearing and be back in business for under $30.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I tried pulling on the gear, and it could slide out about 1/4" but would not go any further. Maybe there is some shrapnel binding it up?

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
yep looks like a bearing cage. i would pull it apart far enough to check the planetary gears and make sure you didn't chip any teeth. here is a parts diagram showing the three main assemblies you need to take apart. i bet you threw bearing #22

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I did throw #22. I just need to pull that bearing off, so I can have a look at the planetary now. It looks like there may be some missing teeth in there.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
been there done that, three times this year! i got tiered of rebuilding my 07' DD and found a cheap 09' case and ditched reveres. You can get a bearing kit and planetary from BDX but i did not have good luck getting mixed and matched gears to mesh and work together. make sure you check the transfer gear carefully it may not be missing teeth but i bet its weakened and would also replace it. tough call if you want reverse but an 09' case rebuilt with all bdx stuff is just like the litedrive without the dipstick and you don't need their track $haft.

Last edited:
J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
Got the bearing off. Missing 2-3 teeth chunks on every planetary gear.
Well that sucks...

Same thing happened to my friend's 08 M8, he didn't ride the last day of our trip because of the horrendous noises. It was the sound of his planetary consuming hardened bearing balls! It was a pain to find a good used one too, there is high demand for these because so many get wrecked. I just got a good used one in from Ski-Laxn who is parting out a couple sleds. He might have another one but I'm not sure. 2007 M8 Parting out

Premium Features