• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chain Tension and Bottom Gear

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Was hearing some noises that I wanted to investigate so pulled the chain case on my Alpha. The chain seems loose to me, can push it in about 1/2" to 5/8" on the long side. Anyone know the correct spec for this? The plunger (the spring loaded piece that locks into the serrated groves to hold tension) on the auto-tensioner pushes in far enough to where the solid part of the tensioner (where the plunger slides into) will hit the serrated groves that tension the auto-tensioner. That's the "click" I was hearing...

Also notice lots of galling on the bottom aluminum gear after right at 100 miles. More than I remember seeing on my '16 after 1,000+ miles. Any dealer on here know if the tensioner is supposed to push in that far and or be tighter? Or if the bottom gear wear will be called "normal" or should I bring it in and have it looked at?

I'd just bring it in, but it's fairly well tore down right now and I'm not ready to put it back together until I get a couple parts in...

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
1/2 is perfect and the bottom gear is aluminum so the chain will have "seat in marks". if you have other noises beside the gear drive sound then look at an over tight track.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Thanks. The noise I hear is the tensioner collapsing, don’t think there was anything else but will listen next time I ride. I can turn the secondary and see it contacting and making the noise. I put it back together and won’t worry about it.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I pull the auto tensioner and put in the manual one. not many problems with the auto after the chain was updated in 16 but I just like knowing I have something that can't fawk up.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I didn't like the slack I could feel in the chain rotating the secondary back and forth. The way engine braking locks the secondary on the reverse side of the helix you have to give it a moderate amount of gas to accelerate again. This really whips the chain and secondary. I fiddled with the adjuster and got a few clicks more to where it felt like a normal tension. We'll see if some of the harshness after going down hill is gone.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
When adjusted properly the secondary shaft (jack shaft) should not have a bunch of backlash when adjusted properly! Just a tiny bit otherwise you will shock load the chain and gears upon acceleration and braking. That may be why you see all the wear on the lower aluminum sprocket faces? AC should hard anodize the lower sprocket at the least. Like mentioned above get rid of the self adjusting assy. and just go with an adjustable roller tensioner? Or just dump and go belt drive. Mike

Premium Features