• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 800 h.o. summit highmark...?`s

J
Dec 10, 2010
my first post...and i`m sure my questions have been asked many times before...but..
in a few days going to get my first sled, ski doo 2003 800 h.o. summit, 1000 miles, all stock, excellant shape.
what are some of the easy first mods that are common to do...for improving performance/reliability ?
the rmks in the same years show 17 inches of rear travel, the summit shows 12.5....can the ski doo be improved upon ?
other than the piston/ring issues, what else to watch out for ?
just looking for good general info to help getting started in this sport.

thanks for any info and suggestions....

Despite what the specs read, I don't think the difference in travel between those two suspensions was that big, actually, the factory skid worked pretty well! If you're above average size like I am then some improvement can be had though....if you get wild and crazy with it Fabcraft builds a good skid for pretty descent, and they have a bit of experience setting them up for zx's.

how much you lookin to spend!?:D

Big mods....
Bar risers
Boss seat
Bigger track! especially more lug height, those will fit a 2.25 pretty easy on stock drivers, but 7 tooth, 3" pitch's you can get a 2.5 under it.
ski's weren't the best, try finding a set of Pilot 6.9 Rev ski's, they can usually be had for around a $100 a set.
The factory hood was heavy, but pretty durable! BRTech makes a Thrasher hood that's pretty cheap and light.
A can will help in weight loss, but not hp. usually end up loosing horsepower.
If you want Hp look into Kelsey's "drop in kit" from RKT, very reasonably priced, and honest hp with good knowledge to help you out.
Also talk to Dynamo Joe about a clutch kit, really help you get the most out of what you already have!

Some of these are more expensive than others obviously, but bar risers, ski's, and a bit of clutch work can go a LONG ways on these sleds!

BTW- is it an X/HO? 144/151/159?

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I loved my 03' Summit Highmark X. The best thing I ever did to it was throw a 16" wide track underneath it...it's a little bit bigger of a job than some other mods but well worth it. If you do this make sure you get your gearing corrected. The sled really woke up after I got everything dialed in. Also for performance upgrades, the stock single pipe coupled with a can will give you the best performance if you want to leave the motor alone. If you want more power after that RKT makes some great performance upgrades.
So for me:
Clutching
Gearing
Track
Can

J
Dec 10, 2010
thanks much guys....
its a H.O. 151 track.

i`ve been in the high performance atv stuff for sometime (among other things)...do my own porting, machining, welding, fabricating, etc.
friends always wondered why i never got into the sled stuff...so i thought it was time to give it a shot.
have my own "chassis" dyno for atv/carts/etc...but a sled does`nt work to well on one...might have to contact dynojet to see if i can get a load cell for it. (that is if i get carried away with this...and i probably will lol).

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
A little off topic !

I loved my 03' Summit 800H.O. Highmark-X.
The best thing I ever did to it was throw a 16" wide track underneath it.
It's a little bit bigger of a job than some other mods but well worth it.
If you do this make sure you get your gearing corrected.
The sled really woke up after I got everything dialed in.

Could you tell some more about your gearing ???

I went way low with my gearing, but we don't see much trail, and what we do see is way to crappy to go fast on!:D 19-47 for me with 7 tooth, 3" pitch drivers. But I do see a lot more guys running 19-45's and really liking them too! Remember driver's make a huge difference.....

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
By all means get a Boss high rise seat. Best mod you can do. Next is a lexan hood because those hoods are HEAVY and it's an easy way to take a lot of weight off the front end. Probably already has a can on it but if not get one....more weight loss. DJ clutching. Have fun!

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
The first thing I would take apart is the secondary clutch.
There were many 2003's that come stock with the black 160/300 secondary spring installed. Why?....who the heck knows.
2002, purple 225/300
2003, black 160/300 (dealer may have installed the purple)
2004~today 225/300

Secondary Illustration

Premium Features