• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 Chevy crewcab 5.7 interior lighting issue

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
I have a problem with the interior lighthing on my work truck, a 1999 Chevy crewcab 4wd with the 5.7 vortec. The light stays on in the interior all the time. I checked the thingy on all 4 door to see if one of them was not being closed in due to a open hole of some short. All checks out okay. I ended up having to remove the fuse to get the lights off for now. What could be the problem? a bad relay/sensor somwhere? If that's the case, where do I look for it? TIA

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Check all the door pins and the dome light switch on the head light switch .

The pins would be the "thingy" I am talking about. That, dome switch all check out fine. Even with the dome button on in the override position, the lights are still on. Gotta be something with the main relay/sensor that gets all its information/singals from from the 4 door pins and dome switch.

O
Nov 27, 2007
Rimbey
I have a 2000 chev(still old body) crew cab with the 454 in it. I started to have the same issue then my trailer lights would act up as well. I found some bad grounds and corroded terminals is the trailer wiring under the rear bumper, so fixed all that, and the interior lights work fine now(been 3 weeks). If there is a bad ground electricity does some pretty wierd stuff, and I beleive the interior light circuit is the grounding circuit for alot of things is these trucks. Look through the wiring diagrams and you will see what I mean. Good luck.

S

Smoothlander

Dec 13, 2007
W.C. Minnesota
If the door switches go bad the lights will not go off when they are pressed. Try switching the switches around, one is a three wire and the other a two.

I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
W-d 40

Spray some W-D 40 on your door sensors.

The same thing happened on my 2001 Ford 350. The first time it happened I had the drivers door sensor replaced.

It happened again just recenlty and a local mechanic told me about the W-D 40 trick and it worked great.

You might give it a try.

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Heres the latest verdict. I unplugged all the wires for the door switches and the lights still remained on. Hmmm. I guess I will check the grounded wires next and clean them up.....if somebody got other ideas I'm all ears.

Z
Feb 5, 2008
Jamestown ND
I will ask the guys in the shop about it tomorrow if I think about it. You could give me a call if you get a chance. I work at Don Wilhelm in the Parts dept 1-800-450-2950 ask for Jeff

Premium Features