• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*POLL* Do you wear protective vest ?

Do you wear a vest?

• Total voters
C

cmillertime

Nov 27, 2007
my dad who is by far the eldest in our group and always the guy who is at the very end of the group likes riding and the whole experience watching us and whatnot wiped out on a mogulled out bridge id say 3fters. I turned around after not seeing him come around the big swooping turn after the bridge found him laying the middle of the trail. come to find out he fractured a rib which just missed his heart, fractured his tailbone, compressed disks in his lower back, bruises all over. The day after every person in our group ordered a tekvest. I rode 20 yrs without one and can say ill never ride without one again. btw if my dad would have had one the bars wouldn't have broke his rib which was cm's away from puncturing his heart and dying right there. if you don't have one yet get one!!!!!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Interesting the passion in this thread vs the one about if you wear Avy gear or not.

Just an observation. Continue to discuss

Haha no kidding! But to be fair the number of times I've unintentionally dismounted from my sled is a whole lot more than the one avy I've broken loose.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Anyone wear their vest in the summer and winter? I bought a mountain bike vest and some other downhill gear and thinking of trying to throw the vest on under my coat. Anyone else do this?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
always wear a vest

i got a tekvest after going out west a few times, idk if ive ever NEEDED it but i would rather be prepared for when or if i do. Snowmobiling can be a dangerous sport even if your carefull. i just got the avy vest but this summer, my buddy raves about it says its much more comfortable than having the backpack. i would wear my vest under my jacket but over my base or mid layers. i love snowmobiling and want to make sure i stay alive so i can keep doing it.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
i got a tekvest after going out west a few times, idk if ive ever NEEDED it but i would rather be prepared for when or if i do. Snowmobiling can be a dangerous sport even if your carefull. i just got the avy vest but this summer, my buddy raves about it says its much more comfortable than having the backpack. i would wear my vest under my jacket but over my base or mid layers. i love snowmobiling and want to make sure i stay alive so i can keep doing it.

How does an Any vest work if it is under your coat ? :face-icon-small-con

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I do now bought one first of last season to may hits to the bars, thought it would be to hot under my jacket but the kinda rigidness of it doesnt justclay on you chest and hold jacket a bit away from the body so feels like my upper body breathes or vents better and dont feel as hot. Also I dont have to take my backpack off as much from the soar ache of my shoulders. Make my feel more ballsy and safer on sled... Its an EVS

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

OldMtn58

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2015
tekvest

Had a couple close calls, buddy bruised his sternum on a jump, wear Under Armour #2, tekvest and uninsulated Motorfist jacket.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Tekvest for the last 10 years. So important, saved me from SOOO many injuries from eating the bars to getting run over.

Ive been peeled off my sled by sharp branches so hard it knocked the wind out of me. Without the vest Im sure I'd have a hole or two in my body from it by now.

L
Oct 28, 2018
I have always used a tek vest, but got out of riding for the last 5 years or so. What do you guys think about removing the plates from my plate carrier and wearing that until i get a real vest? Seems like it would be better than nothing until then?

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Bruised ribs!

Currently Sporting bruised ribs, cause I forgot my Tek Vest on 1 ride last weekend. 1 week of breathing issues, wow lesson learned.
Just caught a branch and threw me up into the bars.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I do wear a Tekvest ... probably just more out of habit than anything. I haven't "needed" a Tekvest due to a riding mishap for years as simply put I really don't ride near as hard as I used to, but the added thing thats nice about the Tekvests - They add warmth. For instance, I can wear a thermal under layer, a light long sleeve shirt, and my Klim windbreaker then put the Tekvest on outside the wind breaker and I am not overheating when tree riding, getting people unstuck, whatever .... then I have a good windbreak due to the vest and stay warm enough on the trail ride home and haven't been sweating my nads off all day :)

I would really like to see Klim come up with a vest/bag combo similar to the BCA Mountain Pro.

In 2008 I broke 4 ribs cause I was too cheap to invest
Ain't hapnin again tell ya that much brother

i saw that same movie too...broke open the wallet next season

I learned a lot from spending sometime with Steve Brand the Tekvest CEO. Here is an impromptu video of us riding in Quebec last year and he delivered my personalized vest to me. He is a very down to earth guy....
https://youtu.be/ygEhLzLC5Qk

Last edited:

free2fawl

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
McCall ID
Only took me once, broke 4 ribs bending my steering column enough to put a crease in it. Hell yes to the vest.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Running an Icon field armor stryker vest , more so for the spine protection .

Attachments

• high country.jpg
    high country.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 13
Premium Features