• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blew my motor

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
600 miles. No engine mods. Havent broke it down yet but felt like some kind of crank failure. Possibly bearing. Happened WOT down a climb. Didnt act like a piston failure as Ive had enough of those on other sleds. Really disappointed as Ive never had a suzuki fail this quick. Hopefully just an isolated incident, and the new 800 isnt a POS

Last edited:

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
i'm hearing a few of these 800 DSI's have gone down recently, as recent as the long distance endurance race in Labrador Canada in March, Cain's Quest Endurance Race ....3 to be exact.
I have not heard any crank issues only upper end piston,cylinder,mapping,injector issues ...more to come that's for sure.
These were sponsored riders and Cat is investigating the circumstances.
please keep us posted on your findings
As for the old Zuk 800 H.O. I have popped 4 of them.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
After WOT it started running real rough still on both cylinders, then locked up completely right away. Usually when I squeak a piston I can let it cool and get it running again to be able to ride it out for a couple miles before it completely fails.

Ive popped zuki motors too but not until 2000mi. This one is on par with my poo motor track record for mileage.

Prob have it opened up this week to see the cause. Was really heavy spring pow and lots of load on the motor that day. 2 other suzukis there and they were struggling pulling rpms up climbs going down to 7500rpm

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Interesting.
I was concerned the with my Ctec cause the oil ratio is 50:1. I Felt confident that ratio is sufficient for this motor after 950 miles.
Now im not so sure?
I hope this is a fluke, sorry it happened to u.
U running the Ctec 2 oil?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Damn - keep us posted. When I ordered an Alpha wasn’t even a question needing answered, 4 year warranty all the way. Another reason I’m keeping the 16.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
There is something wrong with ur 18 if it runs hotter than the Zuke.
My 18 runs 20-30°f cooler than my 14.
Yesterday, temp was in the 50's my 18 ran 98-105° most of the day, just like the whole winter.
Think the higher temps could contribute to this? Seems like the 18s have a higher running temp all around let alone the spring snow?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Ambient Temps were 35-40deg

Man, that's like a normal afternoon in tahoe after february. That shouldn't cause a failure.

After watching a few friends with 800 ctec sleds and how easily they overheat, I won't be buying one until they do a model with a longer cooler. Buying a high country and swapping out the track and entire front end shouldn't be the only option.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Slight derail,
In almost 1,000 miles, never came close to over heating, seen temps in the 150's a couple times. Rode solid ice for miles up hill.
While my friends with Pro's and Xm's would have to stop and put snow on their tunnel i would sit and wait for them without problem.
Man, that's like a normal afternoon in tahoe after february. That shouldn't cause a failure.

After watching a few friends with 800 ctec sleds and how easily they overheat, I won't be buying one until they do a model with a longer cooler. Buying a high country and swapping out the track and entire front end shouldn't be the only option.

M
Nov 26, 2001
laramie wy
The very few I was around this winter seemed to run good but once they got hot they were difficult to get back down. Seemed like they were consistent above 130° and in good snow. I was just wondering if they all run hotter, think I will get a small custom cooler made and put it in the back of the tunnel on the alpha.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Engine temps

My 2018 800 ctec engine runs hotter than 2016 Suzuki engine. The ctec engine can't idle on the trail for more than a few minutes with out the temp light flashing.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I ride with 3 Mtn cats two have over 600 and the other is around 350 and they have had zero issues, well other than a kinked throttle cable (tree) busted driver and broken chains case

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I just got my first ride on my used 18. Sled has 3300 miles now. was a rental so I have no idea how it was maitained... but ran good this weekend. Could tell power was an issue with wet spring "pow" Never overheated in 55 degree sunny weather either. Just switched from an axys and now you got me worried haha

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I just got my first ride on my used 18. Sled has 3300 miles now. was a rental so I have no idea how it was maitained... but ran good this weekend. Could tell power was an issue with wet spring "pow" Never overheated in 55 degree sunny weather either. Just switched from an axys and now you got me worried haha

Brothers Axys with 600 miles just blew the crank. Two stroke roulette.

Premium Features