• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camera/Phone?

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
I have an Olympus Stylus tough that I bought probably 7-8 years ago. It's fun to play with since it's shockproof/waterproof/crushproof but it doesn't take that good of pictures and last week riding I thought it was very convenient that I could just pull my phone out (inside breast pocket) and do both pics and video in...ok quality. Is there a phone out there with a really good camera and video capabilities? Or what is the best camera with video capabilities or vice versa? My phone is an older Moto X and I am in need of a new one anyways. I know this thread doesn't get much traffic so thanks in advance for the replies/info.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think all of the high end phones now have pretty solid cameras built into them.

BUT...

There isn't a phone camera out there that can seriously compete with a DSLR and a good lens.

So it really comes down to Convenience vs. Quality.

How good of a photo do you want.??

There is this though...
https://light.co/camera

camera-front.png

My bet is that over time we will see THIS technology move into Cell Phones.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I am ready to trade in my 7+ and go to the "X"phone.

I'd go with the iP-X .... but I really want a dual sim card setup for travel and the iPhones don't offer this feature... (Samsung does now, also, in the S8).

The Cameras on both seem to be in the same ballpark with each other... as are the processors (super fast 6 core compared to fast 8 core).... but my data processing in not what I use the phone for... so I'm sure all are pretty good.

I HAVE become fond of the iOS system though... which makes the departure difficult for me.

But in terms of good camera's.... I think these new dual-sensor phones in the last couple of years have come leaps and bounds ahead of what they used to be.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
And this is where the camera vs cell phone battle always comes out.

On one hand I have a iPhone X that I love and takes incredible pictures.

BUT

That same cell phone will mess with a avalanche transponder so it stays shut off while riding and since it takes forever to start up (as most phones do) I really only use it to take panoramic shots anymore.

So I carry a sled camera with me at all times that has been a Panasonic. I just ordered the newer Olympus TG-5 to replace it as the old one was getting a bit dated and the pictures where just not as great as they should be. The nice part about the camera is it starts up fast and has all the features you want for a sled camera. Waterproof, freeze proof, shock proof, 4k video.

So while those cameras to work extremely well. Keep in mind that most will interfere with a transponder. My iPhone X even in full airplane mode with everything turned off would cut my transponder range down about 25-30% when I was testing it. With the phone full on it cut the range down nearly 75%.

Something to keep in mind.

U
Feb 13, 2019
Hi, I'm new here and I'm very interested in gadgets and applications to them, there are applications that I want to install on my gadgets, and now I can’t make my choice, if I can help, I’m grateful. But I could find a photo camera very interesting, I think I should buy one myself, I don’t know if you are interested or not, I’m just writing. Suddenly interesting, I found a review on this camera hasselblad x1d review which I really liked. Taking beautiful photos from different places is my hobby, so now I’m looking for him, I travel a lot and gadgets also need to travel.

Premium Features