• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: AntiGravity 12 Cell YT12-B Ultra-Lightweight Lithium Battery

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Go to Walmart, they now carry the crazy tough "Velcro" that has hard plastic on each side (it is in the paint section). You will need a screw driver to pry it loose. I use it to hold my Standalone ECU against the bullhead and it never comes loose. If you dont have a Wally world Radio Shack carries it.

I would just line the back and bottom of the battery and frame with hook and loop tape (heavy duty velcro). That stuff holds like crazy. I dont think restraining a 3.5 battery would be a problem. It would isolate the battery from vibration as well.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Go to Walmart, they now carry the crazy tough "Velcro" that has hard plastic on each side (it is in the paint section). You will need a screw driver to pry it loose. I use it to hold my Standalone ECU against the bullhead and it never comes loose. If you dont have a Wally world Radio Shack carries it.
Excellent!
Thanks!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For the last few weeks I have been working on how to stabilize this battery and properly fill up the left over space in the battery tray.

Little did I realize that they offered a mounting kit that comes with a series of High Density battery blocks that allow you to cut them to fill up the voids.

Kit just arrived yesterday and completely solves my problem.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Has anyone tried a SHORAI brand battery? They claim to be the world's lightest,strongest powersports batteries.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Has anyone tried a SHORAI brand battery? They claim to be the world's lightest,strongest powersports batteries.

I've got a friend of mine testing the LFX27L3-BS12 Shorai in an XTX. -10c starts are no brainer, but we have yet to test at -20C, which to me is the real test for our conditions.

The Shorai P/N above is a 27 amp-hr eq and over 400 CCA, and it comes with foam padding to adjust the fit in the stock location. The battery is very close in size to the stock, but only 4lbs heavy.

I like their gear so long as it works in most conditions we encounter, but that is yet to be determined.

OTM

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
HEADS UP.

I am getting some SERIOUSLY NEGATIVE comments from other users of this battery for VERY COLD starting days.

As in its taking 10+ attempts to start the engine !

Waiting for a reply back from Anti-Gravity before we post those comments.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
have a read on TY there is a similar battery topic.

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
just fyi, we left my dads 08 venture lite at the cabin for 6 days in 0 to -20 temps because it wouldnt start the previous weekend. we got out there friday night thinking the battery would be dead, but the thing turned over and started up after three turns of the motor. not sure why it wouldnt start before, but i think im goin to put any battery i buy into the freezer at -8 for a week and see how she does. its just not worth the loss of 10 lbs in the machine if it cost me 560 lbs less on my trailer. (i.e. leaving my machine at the cabin for a week).
HOMEY DONT PLAY DAT!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, we are trying to track down what might be causing this after the manufacturer was SO STRONG in stating that it absolutely wouldn't happen.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Guys,

My riding buddy is running the Shorai LFX27L3-BS12 which is a 405cca, 27 amp-hr battery. Its 4 lbs and almost as big as the stocker Yuasa. We've tested it to -20 deg C, and that's about the limit of this battery to start. Took 3 trys 20 seconds apart to get it to fire.

If you check out Super B Battery's website, they have a graph of voltage to temperature performance for thier 5200 model. Basically when Li-ion batteries are cold, they drop off voltage quite quickly around -15 to -20C. With all DC motors, like starter motors, the lower the voltage, the slower the cranking speed, regardless of amps available, thus the slow starting problem.

I'm sure a 12 cell will cut it around from zero to -10 deg C but below that, I doubt it.

There is a big thread on TY on this subject, but I think the concensus is that bigger is better (on battery size) or a battery heater, which can be run off the battery itself or shore power. If a battery warmer is used, you might want a smaller battery to heat it more quickly.

There are enough of us working on the problem that a solution will eventually solve the issue. When you consider the weight loss, it is definitely worth the effort.

OTM

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.super-b.com/products/super-B-5200.html

temp-5200.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
We ride in some really cold weather(running a trapline) once the weather hits about -20 we pull belts and batteries and take them inside with us..then next morning reinstall(our sleds are pretty simple to access both though and we use wingnuts on the battery)...otherwise you need to bring the charger for that battery and plug it in or put a blanket on it..we dont run the generators all night though at the cabins...

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I have a 16 cell antigravity battery in mine. In The first part of January I was up in Island Park for a riding clinic. The day I left it was -17 below zero so i wanted to see if my sled would fire up with the new battery being exposed to that cold of a temperature. My sled was on an open trailer all night it took the battery a little under 15 minutes to fire up my sled. I was not moving very fast at that temp either so i did not see a problem. I am sure the 12 cell would work just fine but in this situation would have taken a little more time to fire off.
After that it was fine. At first it would not turn over the sled at all. within 5 minutes it was turning the motor over a few times and stopping. I just left the key in the on position and a little over 12 minutes from not even turning the motor over my sled was running. Each time i would not hold the key in the start position for very long. It was just a quick on off kind of thing
My truck did not want to start but it lite off on the second or third try. This was an isolated case but i was happy to see the battery come to life as promised once it started to warm up internally. Normally i dont ride in that kind of temperatures so i am not worried at all.

The secret is to either warm these batteries up before cranking over the motor. or being patient and bump the key a few times to warm the battery up internally before starting your sled. I am happy with mine. I guess i am just more patient then some riders

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Yes but I dont often ride 17 below zero weather to be honest. It took the sled almost another 8 minutes just to come up to operating temperature. So it was just plain cold that morning. It is also tough to say that the OEM battery would of worked at all. My truck was having a lot of trouble turning over and it has a large capacity battery in it because it has to sit out side all winter in northern nevada.
It took some guy in the parking lot a little more then 5 minutes to lite off his diesel pick-up. Since it was a motel i am not sure he had his block heater pluged in or not.
So things were not moving very fast that morning anywhere in the parking lot. I am sure if i had a way of warming up the battery externally it would have cut that time a lot. The point i was trying to make was that even in extreme temperatures this battery worked as promised. In this day and age of instant gradification we all sometimes get a little impatient. I for one dont care if it takes a little longer to get going because any day i get to ride my sled is a way better day then sitting in my office staring at a computer screen HeHe :face-icon-small-coo.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Point well taken.
-17F is a COLD day to be sure.

I think -17 was the single coldest morning I have ever ridden my Nytro, but I do NOT recall having had any problems with starting it on the OEM Battery two seasons ago.

Premium Features