• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Questions about SP vs X models

schaef_12

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2011
So I just pulled the trigger on a 2018 SP 154 3" holdover. This is my first Skidoo and am coming from the Axys chassis.

The dealer made me a heck of a deal on this SP model, about $1500 difference than the 2018 X model they also had.

My thought process was I can take the $1500 savings on the SP model and put that toward a set of aftermarket shocks like raptor or the like....Is this a solid train of thought or should I just get the X model?

Thanks

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
Good thought process! If my memory serves me correct added benefits to X upgrade are:

Shocks
Running Boards
Color
Extra year of warranty

Someone, or a forum search will reveal anything I missed. Welcome to SkiDoo.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
The steering riser and bars are also different. X shocks are “rebuildable” but basically same as the SP performance wise. I would get the SP and Put the $1500 into funding trips to where the snow is....

Last edited:
M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
Exactly what I did. I bought the SP over the X because I knew the X shocks were just as bad as the SP shocks. I am now running Fox air shocks and I spent maybe $300 over the difference. I also feel as if the SP running boards are a bit beefier which I like.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I'm getting some x shocks reworked by a local guy this year. I believe you can get great performance out of the x shocks just not out of the box. They need to be dialed in to your weight and riding.

schaef_12

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2011
Thanks guys, I think I'll stick with the SP model and maybe try to find some X shocks to send out to be revalved.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I just like the x boards. They kick up in the rear. The sp boards are sort of like the xm boards and drag a little more in deep snow. Every little bit helps. As far as shocks go, neither one are special and I don't know many that have ever rebuilt the x shocks.

F
Oct 13, 2013
This is what i have done for my last 3 sleds, and i was always happy with the result. I decided to go with the Freeride last year beacause it was only going to cost me an extra $2000, so i took a chance on the KYBs. So far so good. Spring changes were much cheaper with the aftermarket Fox Floats i must say :(

Premium Features