• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Summit 850 Silencer

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
I'm looking to purchase a lightweight exhaust silencer for a friends Summit 850X. Any recommendations? Looking for a more quiet unit rather than the louder ones. :face-icon-small-hap

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Me and a buddy bought the HPS can last year based on the positive reviews. He made it one ride and took it off. I rode for most of the season but finally took it off and sold it. It makes a midrange drone around 6300-6500ish RPM when cruising down the trail that is just unbearable. Same with both sleds, so it wasn't just mine. Gets worse with more miles. Sound was ok but a little loud above or below the dreaded drone zone, but even ear plugs didn't help when your in it.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Me and a buddy bought the HPS can last year based on the positive reviews. He made it one ride and took it off. I rode for most of the season but finally took it off and sold it. It makes a midrange drone around 6300-6500ish RPM when cruising down the trail that is just unbearable. Same with both sleds, so it wasn't just mine. Gets worse with more miles. Sound was ok but a little loud above or below the dreaded drone zone, but even ear plugs didn't help when your in it.

Completely agree with the midrange drone issue. Occasionally I have some road time and sound is pretty annoying. Just need to keep that exhaust port covered with snow!

Gremon

Lifetime Membership
Apr 29, 2011
Colorado
I only have about 300 miles on my HPS can and haven't noticed the bad drone yet. If it gets that bad you'll find it in the swap meet. For now I like the tone, it is light weight and gives me a place to put my cooker. These were the things I was looking for in a performance can and it was under $400. Hope it lasts a while.

SLP

Premium Member
Hey guys,

I noticed some questions that relate to our silencers and that I might pop in to help answer them.

We are offering 2 options for lightweight silencers on the G4 850 Ski-Doo and both of them are available immediately:

Standard Lightweight Silencer - Saves 7.1 pounds and has the same quieter SLP exhaust note you have known for years.

Competition Series Ultra-Lite Silencer - Saves 9.1 pounds and has a more aggressive exhaust sound at full throttle.

The main reason for using one of these silencers with the stock pipe is for weight savings, but they also show a small power improvement and have a little better throttle response. We have tested them on the dyno and the snow. They and are a little faster in the field compared to the stock silencer. For the real power gains the single pipe is the way to go. Each silencer is available in black satin ceramic or silver polish ceramic coating.

Both of these silencers run 299.95 a piece and are compatible with the SLP Single Pipe if you decide to upgrade later.

I have attached some pictures to give you an idea of what they each look like.

Adam Wood
Sales Manager, SLP

09-321.jpg 09-326.jpg

D
Mar 13, 2014
I'm looking to purchase a lightweight exhaust silencer for a friends Summit 850X. Any recommendations? Looking for a more quiet unit rather than the louder ones. :face-icon-small-hap

We are right by each other...I have the MBRP very loud, my bro has the HPS and it is pretty mild. Can't speak for any others.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Here are some important important considerations:

How is the internal backpressure are created?

Some use fiberglass and wears away needing it to be repacked.

Others use a mechanical baffle just like the stock muffler. Should last the life of the sled.

What is the legal noise requirements and does the muffler comply?

The manufacturer will state if the muffler complies.

Typically descriptions of a "trail" muffler meeting the noise (decibel) rules which I think are passing the SAE J-2567 stationary sound test (stationary snowmobile noise emission may not exceed 88 decibels

Mountain mufflers typically do not meet decibel rules

Last edited:

SLP

Premium Member
Both of the SLP Silencers for the Ski-Doo 850 are tested below 88 dB on the SAE J-2567 sound test.

The Competition Series Ultra-Lite Silencer is louder on top-end, but it passes the test at the lower RPMs where the J-2567 is done.

The Standard Lightweight silencer is well below 88 dB on the SAE J-2567 and is a little louder than stock on top-end but not obnoxious.

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
SLP Standard Summit 850 Silencer

I bought the Standard Summit 850 silencer. Its appearance and fit are great! The instructions show heat insulation that needs to be installed in various areas. Is it supposed to be supplied with my silencer purchase? Or do I need to make an additional purchase? One bag of small parts was included with the silencer. Thanks for making a high quality replacement unit.:face-icon-small-hap

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I talked to a Doochanic today who said that some of the aftermarket cans are killing EGT sensors. Mainly the ones that locate the sensors in the first part of the pipe, not the can. Gonna stay stock.

Premium Features