• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steerable Sled Dollies

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have those ones as well. They do work good. I've had to replace my wheels on them once. Probably from too high of speed running them. They don't do off road though like the carbide savers.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
A friend of mine has these and they work great, but I don't know if they work as good as the ones in the video you posted

I had a set of those and after rebuilding the wheel attachment a couple times I gave them away. If you were only on hard surfaces I bet they would work OK.

But I'll give another vote for Carbide Savers. I seen these in action the other week and was impressed. Very solid built. I figured I would order my own set of them.

http://www.carbidesavers.com/

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The problem i see with the Ski Saver is the small area that contacts the bottom edge of the ski. ALL of the front end weight of the sled is on the 2 points circled in red in the attached file. It looks like there are "teeth" on the tops of these areas as well, which only complicates the problem. I would think the underside of the ski would get torn up badly during use.

Just a thought . . .

Ski Saver.JPG

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The problem i see with the Ski Saver is the small area that contacts the bottom edge of the ski. ALL of the front end weight of the sled is on the 2 points circled in red in the attached file. It looks like there are "teeth" on the tops of these areas as well, which only complicates the problem. I would think the underside of the ski would get torn up badly during use.

Just a thought . . .

Thats the only way they can keep them from kicking out. Backing up, or going forward, if you catch any bump or ice chunk they are going to try and move forward or back. That hook on the ski tip is only holding them down, they need those teeth to bite in and hold them from moving front to back.

I agree, they are going to cause so wear and tear to the ski bottom, but my ski bottoms always look like they have 10,000 miles on them after one season. Too many creek crossings, sharp rocks from ridge lines and early/late season riding.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Thanks for posting this, I have a set coming. I've been trying to find something like this that didn't have an overly high price tag. The four wheeled flat ones that seem to be the most common do not get along with the seams in the driveway.

FYI, they have free shipping for the lower 48 till 22 Sept.

I had a set of those and after rebuilding the wheel attachment a couple times I gave them away. If you were only on hard surfaces I bet they would work OK.

But I'll give another vote for Carbide Savers. I seen these in action the other week and was impressed. Very solid built. I figured I would order my own set of them.

http://www.carbidesavers.com/

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
After trying 3 different brands of the drivable ones I gave up and went back to the kind of shop dolly dealers use. The strap on ones always seem to either kick forward or back when your not on smooth terrain. Did like being able to move the sled under it's own power.

rmkelvis

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
another option

has anyone tried these ?

Price is right.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Snowmob...F8&qid=1508007204&sr=8-4&keywords=ski+dollies

61FF2Tk3C0L._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have a set of the skisavers. They work good. When running the sled in my trails west they will pull back when they hit the ramp door. They don't come off but slide back far enough to drag the tips of the skis. They are better than any of the steerable dollies out there.

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
I ordered a set of the Carbide Savers because of this thread. Overall quality of the build is great. Tires are crap, can't keep air in two of them for more than overnite.

Going to have to see if I can find an alternative tire/wheel combo for them.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Premium Features