• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Difference between Assault and Pro RMK

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I feel the original thread got a little off topic. A lot about different tracks.

I'm pulling a brand switch (trusting the new engine developement team) and trying to decide which one. Very little info up here on my specific questions. I don't mind building what I want but I need to know where to start.

Why is the Assault 15 lbs more. Suspention should be 5 or 6 of those. Is the track 9 or 10 lbs more??? It doesn't look like any extra bracing or wheels are there. I know the front end is wider.
Speaking of track, is it all new or the same as last year. Any experience with it??

Anyone riden the Assault and Pro RMK back to back? Was the track difference noticable? Big question for me, was the suspention noticably different? Too stiff, felt the same?? Did the wider front end effect how much you needed to work it?

I plan on a 155. The reason for thinking about the Assault is for a couple of hundred bucks I get adjustable needle shocks and I've learned I need more than one type of suspention during the year, depending on time of year, who I'm with and LOL, how many days in a row I've been riding.
I can narrow the front end (stock or aftermarket). Shorten the shocks with an internal spacer ( does any one know the difference in length between the two or the difference in spring rates on all four corners) I can change or cut the track to one with brakes LOL. Clutch to make the harder compound tracks work in the deep. But darn if I've been able to be happy with one suspention setting for the whole year LOL.
Adjustables have been a dream of mine for years and I've tried other stuff for my Cats but never completely satisfied. Part of it was the flexy chassis that I think the 2011 Polaris will fix. A lot of it was their front end.

I'm looking for the ultimate in handling. Anyone out there with facts or experience on the two??

Geo

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
Info. I have: Assault track is 9 lbs. heavier, shocks are 4 lbs., A arms 2 lbs.= 15 lbs.Saleman at West Yellowstone gave me these numbers.

Our dealer said the competition track will break down if ran over 70 mph for too many miles, but mine is still holding up fine!

I rode the 800 Pro-RMK at Yellowstone and on trail it steers so easy it moved on the trail quite a bit, but handled the bumps on & off trail very well with those shocks.

I am looking at either a Pro-rmk or a 155 Assault also??? My 09/146 Aslt. has been awesome so I don't know what to do! Good problem to have!

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
to add to the above response, the assault track is the exact same design and material as last year, just longer. (although you could get a 155 competition track last year if you wanted too) as is the 5.1.

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Info. I have: Assault track is 9 lbs. heavier, shocks are 4 lbs., A arms 2 lbs.= 15 lbs.Saleman at West Yellowstone gave me these numbers.

Our dealer said the competition track will break down if ran over 70 mph for too many miles, but mine is still holding up fine!

I rode the 800 Pro-RMK at Yellowstone and on trail it steers so easy it moved on the trail quite a bit, but handled the bumps on & off trail very well with those shocks.

I am looking at either a Pro-rmk or a 155 Assault also??? My 09/146 Aslt. has been awesome so I don't know what to do! Good problem to have!

How do you like the comp track on your assault? I'm looking at checking a 2011 155 myself, my only concern was the track? I didn't want to buy a $11,000 sled and have to swap the track too.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
the assault also has a wider stance and suspension is alot firmer...... that being said it may not side hill as well as the pro and its track is for hard snow not powdery snow. the width factor may be solved with removal of the swaybar in the hills being the 09/10 had no sway bar.

I would probably buy the assault and put a hcr 153 on it and call it a day.... because alot of guys had the pro track and are putting the camo extreme on.

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
If you get to ride a lot of sugary powder it is not the track to have and high mark with, but for boondocking it works fine. I only got out west to ride once this year:face-icon-small-fro and it was a spring ride. The rest of my riding was in midwest area. We had 2-3 feet of snow most of the time!

I still think the Assault made me look like a better rider than I am. When jumping mogels or off cornices it can take a bad landing and bring you through it wondering what just happened! :face-icon-small-hap Suspension and shocks made that much difference for me! My 2 cents worth!:face-icon-small-hap

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Sounds like the Assault comes stock sans sway bar.

NDRMK, what did you mean "moved on the trail quite abit"? Was it skittery? Did you have a hard time controlling it?
Had a similar comment from a dealer that rode it. Said it was a bit unsettling to ride up to the snow (Revelstoke ride). Am I reading between the lines that it's front heavy (too rider forward) for sit down riding.

Anybody tell me the length of the Assault front shocks. Just read the narrow front end is 17".
Anybody (mountian horse??) know the spring rates on the RMK and the Assault

As for tracks, I've had 3 Power Claws in both duros and they are a good track going up. It grabs traction in bunches and makes clutching tough in changing conditions. The harder duro was actually better for consistant load. Less trenching too, cause I was able to soften the secondary spring with it and not have secondary slip in the deep stuff. Track speed is everything to me LOL.
The big problem is going down hill. What goes up must come down LOL. At this time of year, as I crest a top and head down a southern facing chute in the AM, I better know where its going (lucky I`ve been riding with common sense in areas I know well). There is no stopping. I put it side ways from the top down till I see the run out. It really puts a limitation to where I want to go and makes me plan my loop different than what I would like sometimes. That`s not right in my book.
It`s not that good in powder, downhill either. You can always stop cutting in sideways but some places I only have a straight line down. Then, you need to get your arse over the bumper and force the front end up to dig the track into the snow with your legs. If you have your suspention set soft it can be fairly taxing if its a long downhill. Thats not right in my book either.
So this may be my year to go back the the old reliable, the original camo pattern, in a 80 or 90 duro. Wish I could get it in a 2.25, 2.86 pitch single ply though (for the clearance and weight).
Im also into trying something new, like the Assault track lightened and cut to flex some. I want a good balance of braking and traction.
Anyone with the old comp track, does it feel like rubber when you grab a lug and flex it, or does it feel like plastic.

Were there any Assaults (maybe they werent finished yet) at the demo rides. Still havent heard from or read about someone riding them back to back.

It would be very interesting to hear from someone who rode the Doo or Cat on the same day as the Pro RMK demo ride to get a seat of the pants power comparison.

Geo

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
the assault also has a wider stance and suspension is alot firmer...... that being said it may not side hill as well as the pro and its track is for hard snow not powdery snow. the width factor may be solved with removal of the swaybar in the hills being the 09/10 had no sway bar.

I would probably buy the assault and put a hcr 153 on it and call it a day.... because alot of guys had the pro track and are putting the camo extreme on.

2011 Assault does not have a sway bar, Poo clams they match the shocks.

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
The comp.track is very stiff lug top to bottom. A photo on one of the forums shows this quite well.
As far as the movement on trail: it was probably more about the set up on the Pro-rmk than an issue. I was very comfortable with it in some rough moguls and the darting was probably because I am used to a stiffer steering sled like my 900 & Asslt. ie. over compensating. I am pretty sure I will get used to that!:face-icon-small-hap
They all say the comp. track trenches in powder & it does, but it still climbs fairly well and I like its' braking coming down. Works for me. 155 should go little higher.

Premium Features