• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Go with the Assault or the Pro-RMK...Shocks and Tracks question.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What would be money ahead smarter?

Buy the Assault and put on a Camo Extreme 2.5"

OR Buy the Pro RMK and put on Assault shocks?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Good Questions Scott... So I thought I would dedicate a thread to them..
=============================================================

OR....

Buy the Pro RMK... boondock it much easier with the 3" narrower front end... Sell the excellent stock RMK shocks to a base model owner for $300 or so and put the money towards the TCP Needle RMK shocks with the good springs on them for $600 or so. Total out of your pocket... $300

I dont like that the Extreme weighs in at 10 lbs more than the stock track... but you could sell the stocker for $450 add another $200 for the ideal track.

Question is... can you live with the wider front end on the Assault.. that is a personal pref issue...

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I ma planning on getting the assault and the only mod i will do is swap the shocks out for fox shocks and call it good. Probably get a custom SCS rap.

I think that track is going to be perfect for my riding style.

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
Shocks

Good Questions Scott... So I thought I would dedicate a thread to them..
=============================================================

OR....

Buy the Pro RMK... boondock it much easier with the 3" narrower front end... Sell the excellent stock RMK shocks to a base model owner for $300 or so and put the money towards the TCP Needle RMK shocks with the good springs on them for $600 or so. Total out of your pocket... $300

I dont like that the Extreme weighs in at 10 lbs more than the stock track... but you could sell the stocker for $450 add another $200 for the ideal track.

Question is... can you live with the wider front end on the Assault.. that is a personal pref issue...
I am looking for the shocks from the PRO-RMK to replace the standard shocks that I am getting with the base model RMK.

W

WesG

Nov 26, 2007
Chetwynd, BC
Same dilema here...

Scott you rode the pro, how good are the shocks? You considering going with the assault tells me that they are not all that and a bag of chips.... I was really hoping they would be the cats azz so I could go with the narrow front end.... But I prefer iqr style bump/huck capability. Guess I will have to deal with the assault track.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I love my Camo Extreme and haven't ridden anything better.
After riding a demo on concrete snow I didn't think the RMK track was too bad. The extreme would have worked better but probably not $500 worth better.
I take it you'd go 155? Seems like the perfect length to me but I haven't spent a ton of time on a 163.

I guess I would do the Assult with an Extreme

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I dont like that the Extreme weighs in at 10 lbs more than the stock track...

Nope, weighs in at 5.8 lbs heavier. I weighed both when I switched from my stock 155 D8 track to the camo extreme. But I will tell you that the rotating mass makes a difference in track spin and lowers the top speed a bit.

I'm thinking of moving my camo extreme to the new RMK. It's a good track. All day, all season.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Nope, weighs in at 5.8 lbs heavier. I weighed both when I switched from my stock 155 D8 track to the camo extreme. But I will tell you that the rotating mass makes a difference in track spin and lowers the top speed a bit.

I'm thinking of moving my camo extreme to the new RMK. It's a good track. All day, all season.

I agree with you..mine will wear an extreme as well...been riding with the PC quite a bit last year and this year..only once have I seen the PC beat the extreme..rest of the time the extreme has beat the claw...on my dragon I pull almost the same consistent track speed as I did with the 5.1 down 1.5 mph in similar conditions.....but the difference in go ability far surpasses the 1.5 mph loss...

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I also just noticed that the 155 Assault is the most expensive sled. $100 more then the 163!!!!
I almost wonder if a guy is better off getting the RMK and swapping out the shocks and track. Sell the stock stuff and you'll probably be under the price of a 163.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
stiff
remember hearing about the 07 Camo Lite track on the doos. essentially same track and just doesn't work well for deep soft snow.
The 5.1 I guess can be made better with some screws.

The Doo track and the Competition Polaris track are NOT even close to the same track. The Doo track was a very stiff duro, thin profile track. The Competion track is a heavy lugged mid duro track designed for hill climbs and hucking/freestyle.

The competition track does OK in powder... but that is not its purpose... It is also able to accept ice screws (pre dimpled for this)

The series 5.1 tracks in the PRO-RMK's actually SHINE in the the powder... their weak suit is the setup, high moisture content snow... BUT overall it is a great track... there are better choices out there for the extremes of riding or to suit a specific need.... Polaris designed the series 5.1 to be a "Swiss Army Knife" of tracks... they did a pretty good job IMO.

Ski Doo Challenger Lite track.
Chllglite-1.jpg

Polaris Comp track
Competitiontrack.jpg

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The series 5.1 tracks in the PRO-RMK's actually SHINE in the the powder... their weak suit is the setup, high moisture content snow... BUT overall it is a great track... there are better choices out there for the extremes of riding or to suit a specific need.... Polaris designed the series 5.1 to be a "Swiss Army Knife" of tracks... they did a pretty good job IMO.

I agree with most of this. The 5.1 is great in powder. It doesn't trench like the CE can. It just doesn't "hook up" and spins on anything but powder. It also doesn't do well coming down steep hills. If you come down something that is hard pack you better have some slide control because it will take off like you are on a toboggan. I wouldn't call it a "Swiss Army Knife" but maybe more of a powder track. I truly believe that it was a smart move by Polaris because it is lighter and probably cheaper than most tracks they could have gone with. You can cut down and add screws but I opted to trade my 5.1 in for $350 credit toward the CE.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
MH and others, does the new chassis have enough clearance for an extreme? and not just enough to get it to fit but also have the proper bulkhead clearance? feel that this is still the one week point in polaris's designs, but i'm no engineer. there is always the option of a d&r but i doubt you would still have a warranty...

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
MH and others, does the new chassis have enough clearance for an extreme? and not just enough to get it to fit but also have the proper bulkhead clearance? feel that this is still the one week point in polaris's designs, but i'm no engineer. there is always the option of a d&r but i doubt you would still have a warranty...

I'd like to know for sure, but rumor has it that it is about the same clearance as the current IQ. That is...just enough. If I keep my IQ I will probably roll the chain case. Polaris doesn't leave much room for wider tracks or longer lugs.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i was hearing the same thing. if you an get it to fit, what about pulling every other clip on the extreme to match the 5.1? what would the weight difference be then?

L

LSB

What would be money ahead smarter?

Buy the Assault and put on a Camo Extreme 2.5"

OR Buy the Pro RMK and put on Assault shocks?

Scott will the Assault shocks fit on the regular RMK arms? They could be the same length and just the Assault have wider arms putting more leverage on the shocks but I assumed the shocks were a little longer on the Assault??

Premium Features