• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which pipe for G4 850 summit???

P
Jan 10, 2008
PA mostly
Hey gang,
So had a little tree bang up and my pipe now has 3-4 dents and a crease in it, originally I thought it was just the heat shield but on the 10 mile ride out I noticed a few times where engine didnt quite sound right coming off throttle, not quite a back fire, but a burp that I knew the expansion chamber was no longer perfect, after removing the shields I confirmed my suspicion.

Anyways, I am looking for in sight, reviews, experience, etc on a new pipe or pipe/silencer combo. I do NOT want a loud can, those are for race tracks, my only reason for even wanting a different "cans" is weight but mostly to add my muff pot, looked at the "thing" but seems most think it is to loud, I ride mostly Vail pass and Rabbit ears so I don't want to pick anyone off.

So anyone have experience with SLP, Dynoport, Bikeman, etc FULL exhaust systems
I have looked at SLP, not sure how I feel about covering everything in foil tape??

I have been looking at sites, forums, etc for 3 days, but websites could be selling snake oil, and most forum posts tend to go sideways after page 1 with side chatter, and I'm kind of on a time crunch. So asking all you fine folks to see what' results your having?

Thanks in advance gang!!!!!

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I read good gains with the Jaws Pipe and you can run the stock muffler if so inclined .

I
Jul 5, 2001
Jaws

I run the 3000+ on my 19 850 175..... very happy with it !! and the stock muffler too....

it is wise to put aluminum tape where the pipe and heat shield comes close to belly pan and hood.....its cheap and you cant see it so save your plastic :)
:face-icon-small-hap

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Been running the Jaws pipe all season and it has served me well. I ride 8-9K elevation, and after adding the pipe I had to clutch it with the same amount of weight as I would for 5.5K elevation and still pulls almost 100 rpm more than stock. Also running 19/53 gearing on my 175. The combo of the two is impressive.

I also have an Axys 800 174 with the full Bikeman setup. With the stock pipe and gearing my 850 would pull 1-2 MPH more track speed than the 800. This year with the Jaws pipe, ibackshift clutch kit, and lower gearing it pulls a solid 6-7 MPH more track speed in the deep powder. Power doesn't fade on long pulls either, in fact seems to get stronger when your working it hard.

P
Jan 10, 2008
PA mostly
He has personal run three manufacturers on a 850, he will steer you right. He has all the info!

So I took your advice, and the feed back from everyone else and pulled the trigger with John on a complete jaws system w mountain quiet can and John's clutch kit, I found a lot in common w john, and if this set up works like I've been hearing it should RIP.

John was so cool to work with, I explained my time crunch, and at first he wasn't sure anyone would have a pipe ready to ship, but he agreed to make some calls and if no one could have it then he was willing to sell me his factory take of personal OEM pipe for a great price just to make sure I didnt miss out.

I'll try and report back in a few weeks, but thanks for referring him, and thanks everyone on the input, love when we can help each other out!!!

R
Nov 17, 2012
Rexburg Idaho
I have Been Really Happy With My SLP Pipe on my 18 850 175 I have put about 1000 Miles on the sled with the pipe on it. It works really well ads alot more midrange and top end performance. Clutching is required to load the motor to keep the pipe Hot.

U
Feb 1, 2013
I had an SLP stage 2 on my 18 sp. Ran great for 1000km last season. Sounds good, added some snap. This season had some really deep days, Started melting stuff under hood. Melted the pins that held the insulation over the airbox. Went out on new years eve. Super deep heavy snow. Full pin in the meadows just to keep moving. Melted wiring harness. Towed out.
I installed everything as per SLP's instructions. Even added some extra heat tape where i thought it got hot. Seems like the ceramic coating isn't thick enough. It got so hot under the hood that I couldn't pull it off. I had to use brute force and ignorance. Once removed the amount of plastic pooled into molten puddles was something to see. Promptly removed the pipe and y pipe.
The salesman at the local dealership said his buddy melted his hood with the SLP pipe.
Not worth the performance gain for the money and problems.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I had an SLP stage 2 on my 18 sp. Ran great for 1000km last season. Sounds good, added some snap. This season had some really deep days, Started melting stuff under hood. Melted the pins that held the insulation over the airbox. Went out on new years eve. Super deep heavy snow. Full pin in the meadows just to keep moving. Melted wiring harness. Towed out.
I installed everything as per SLP's instructions. Even added some extra heat tape where i thought it got hot. Seems like the ceramic coating isn't thick enough. It got so hot under the hood that I couldn't pull it off. I had to use brute force and ignorance. Once removed the amount of plastic pooled into molten puddles was something to see. Promptly removed the pipe and y pipe.
The salesman at the local dealership said his buddy melted his hood with the SLP pipe.
Not worth the performance gain for the money and problems.

I have a blowhole and lots of added venting. Should be able to keep temps down...I hope. Sorry you had issues. That sucks.

P
Jan 10, 2008
PA mostly
Just wanted to say I am so happy w the jaws/ BJ clutch kit john hooked me up with last year,today my buddy rode my sled to get her out and running since I had arm surgery and I am two weeks from riding this season and he just texted me " dude what did you do to this thing it's amazing and I want it"

Looks like I'll be calling BJ for a couple of clutch kits for him and my wife's sled hahaha

Looks like wrecking my sled and needing a pipe had a silver lining...

Premium Features