• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

“Best” Used Sleds To Buy

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Not sure where your from but you should look up In Canada at some used sleds, with the US dollar you could get a killer deal. Seen a 2016 M8 ltd with like 1500 kms and buddy was asking 6800, sure you could get it for 6k. That would be like 4K US and you would have a solid sled.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Not sure where your from but you should look up In Canada at some used sleds, with the US dollar you could get a killer deal. Seen a 2016 M8 ltd with like 1500 kms and buddy was asking 6800, sure you could get it for 6k. That would be like 4K US and you would have a solid sled.

Wow that would be a good deal. Sounds like I could find a 2014 or so for around $3500. I’m located in Northern UT so that’s a pretty far drive for me

B
Dec 14, 2010
What’s everyone’s thoughts on sleds for that sale recently had a new top end done? Seem to find a lot that say less than 50-200 miles on a new top end

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
*I’ve HEARD the diamond drive was causing fits to some riders on the M series. I don’t know if they still have the diamond drive on the current cats. I’ve ridden several M8’s and my father has a M6. I can’t get comfortable on these sleds (personal preference)

yeah on the 09-11 (cant speak for other years) you have to change a bearing from a single-row to a 5203 double-row or it'll fall apart and could shred the gears, inexpensive fix and lots of snowest threads for it. On that note, the m series did have some shortcomings, but, there's thousands of them out there, and you'll never come across an issue that hasn't been documented.

I started on an 09 m8 and had great experience

my .02

for the record they ditched diamond drive for a chain case in 2012

B
Dec 14, 2010
What’s your guys thoughts on sleds that have recently had a new top end? I wonder why an owner would have the top end rebuilt just to turn around and sell it in less than 100 miles

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Nothing wrong with a new top end. What might be wrong was whether or not it solved the problem they were having and are they selling that problem to you? This is where some mechanical knowledge and sled experience is helpful. Who did the work? was it done in somebody's garage, at a dealer shop? Were the people doing the work capable, competent? Why did they do the top end? Did they test it or were they just guessing it needed one? Was there a failure? Did the bottom end get cleaned up, resealed? I think people miss some aspects sometimes when they do this type of work themselves.

I agree that substantial mechanical repairs do raise lots of questions. I would want leak down numbers. Pretty risky just taking the sellers word for it all.

Why would they put a new top end on it and sell it right away? Because it seized up on them, they did a quick and dirty repair to get it running for now, and they are selling their problems. Much easier to sell running than with a bad motor...

I think you need to fess up on which specific brand and model you are talking about too. They all have different issues so depending on which sled has a new top end, it can make a big difference if that is a good idea or not.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Nothing wrong with a new top end. What might be wrong was whether or not it solved the problem they were having and are they selling that problem to you? This is where some mechanical knowledge and sled experience is helpful. Who did the work? was it done in somebody's garage, at a dealer shop? Were the people doing the work capable, competent? Why did they do the top end? Did they test it or were they just guessing it needed one? Was there a failure? Did the bottom end get cleaned up, resealed? I think people miss some aspects sometimes when they do this type of work themselves.

I agree that substantial mechanical repairs do raise lots of questions. I would want leak down numbers. Pretty risky just taking the sellers word for it all.

Why would they put a new top end on it and sell it right away? Because it seized up on them, they did a quick and dirty repair to get it running for now, and they are selling their problems. Much easier to sell running than with a bad motor...

I think you need to fess up on which specific brand and model you are talking about too. They all have different issues so depending on which sled has a new top end, it can make a big difference if that is a good idea or not.

Don’t have a particular sled in mind, I’ve been seeing all types of sled that are said to only have 20-100 miles on a new top end. Don’t see so many cats saying that, mainly doo and Poo.

On a side note I did find a new 2018 left over stock summit sport 600cc with a 146 track. I believe it’s carb but it’s under $7k new (put $3500 down and finance the other 4K or so) but I’d prefer to find a sled I can pay cash for and don’t have to pay monthly.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Another consideration is how much do you really intend on riding? Do you live where you can easily ride? Are you just making a few trips a year west? Newer, better condition, lower miles is better, new is best. I buy new ones every couple of years. I ride 1000-1500 miles a season, all mtn riding, Cat sleds last me 2 years, polaris' last me one year. I have seen guys go 3000+miles reliably on Doo's and Cat's. By that time though you are overdue for lots of maintenance. Clutches need rebuilding, bearings need replacing, hyfax, shock rebuilds, various suspension bushings, motor mounts and time for that motor refresh. You can sink a LOT of money into an old sled just to keep it running reliably. If you do not keep up and you ride a lot and ride pretty hard, plan on a fix it budget to go with the bargain priced sled, just like a used car or truck.

I would pass on a 600 machine for anything above 5000ft elevation. I watched my 140 lb buddy cuss and struggle on his sons Doo 600 146 trying to keep up with 800s ridden by guys packing another 80 lbs of body mass. This was on a hard pack spring day, just find an 800...

I think if you are serious about getting back in you should budget $6000 and find a '16 machine in good shape. Any brand will likely do, the 16 800 Axys is a super fun machine, the T3 Doo's were a big improvement that year and the the '16 Cats have a new front end and 3" track on some. Any of those sleds will get you excited about being back in the sport. I think it is VERY much worth the upgrade.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Another consideration is how much do you really intend on riding? Do you live where you can easily ride? Are you just making a few trips a year west? Newer, better condition, lower miles is better, new is best. I buy new ones every couple of years. I ride 1000-1500 miles a season, all mtn riding, Cat sleds last me 2 years, polaris' last me one year. I have seen guys go 3000+miles reliably on Doo's and Cat's. By that time though you are overdue for lots of maintenance. Clutches need rebuilding, bearings need replacing, hyfax, shock rebuilds, various suspension bushings, motor mounts and time for that motor refresh. You can sink a LOT of money into an old sled just to keep it running reliably. If you do not keep up and you ride a lot and ride pretty hard, plan on a fix it budget to go with the bargain priced sled, just like a used car or truck.

I would pass on a 600 machine for anything above 5000ft elevation. I watched my 140 lb buddy cuss and struggle on his sons Doo 600 146 trying to keep up with 800s ridden by guys packing another 80 lbs of body mass. This was on a hard pack spring day, just find an 800...

I think if you are serious about getting back in you should budget $6000 and find a '16 machine in good shape. Any brand will likely do, the 16 800 Axys is a super fun machine, the T3 Doo's were a big improvement that year and the the '16 Cats have a new front end and 3" track on some. Any of those sleds will get you excited about being back in the sport. I think it is VERY much worth the upgrade.

I live where there is decent riding about 20 min from me, and great riding about 1.5 hours away. Plan to ride maybe 2 weekends a month at the great spot and probably 3-4 times a month at the decent spot.

What about the 600 was so bad? About 4 years ago I have a 1997 skidoo mxz 670 with a 136 track and did pretty good. I would imagine a new 600 cc would have a lot more power and the longer 146 track should help in the powder.

Also this last weekend I road a late 90s Polaris 550cc. fan cooled, 136 tracker with 1.5” lugs and the sled had 3600 miles on it. It was definitely a little lacking a few times but it is very old with a lot of miles and short track.

But I’d hate to buy a 600 and have to be on it full throttle when in the preset climbing step but short hills (I don’t climb the longer steep hills due to fear of avalanche). I will be riding 6000ft-10,000

Last edited:
B
Dec 14, 2010
To follow up I did some some basic math...

2010 M8 = 800cc / 560lbs (weight of sled) = 1.74 CC per lb
2017 skidoo summit 600 carb = 600cc / 431 lbs = 1.39 cc per lb

Nosy as close as I was thinking.... maybe I’ll have to go see if I can rent a 600 before the season is over

Last edited:

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
I live where there is decent riding about 20 min from me, and great riding about 1.5 hours away. Plan to ride maybe 2 weekends a month at the great spot and probably 3-4 times a month at the decent spot.

What about the 600 was so bad? About 4 years ago I have a 1997 skidoo mxz 670 with a 136 track and did pretty good. I would imagine a new 600 cc would have a lot more power and the longer 146 track should help in the powder.

Also this last weekend I road a late 90s Polaris 550cc. fan cooled, 136 tracker with 1.5” lugs and the sled had 3600 miles on it. It was definitely a little lacking a few times but it is very old with a lot of miles and short track.

But I’d hate to buy a 600 and have to be on it full throttle when in the preset climbing step but short hills (I don’t climb the longer steep hills due to fear of avalanche). I will be riding 6000ft-10,000

You will definitely be kicking yourself for not buying a 800 riding at that elevation. This time of year anything can go anywhere. Been there done that and will never go back to a smaller engine. Get as new of a sled as you can afford and learn how to do the maintenance yourself.

B
Dec 14, 2010
You will definitely be kicking yourself for not buying a 800 riding at that elevation. This time of year anything can go anywhere. Been there done that and will never go back to a smaller engine. Get as new of a sled as you can afford and learn how to do the maintenance yourself.

Thanks for the info and opinion! We’re suppose to get 6” inches of snow this week and Saturday will be the first sunny day of the week after today so hopefully I can find some decent powder to test out the 600. At worst, it will still be a fun day of riding!

Only reason I’m thinking of the 600 is because of all the reviews I’ve read and the rental companies I’ve talked to that said how bullet proof these 600 summit sports carb are. I value reliability over overall performance if I had to pick. I do ride at high elevation but don’t usually ride more than 1-2’ of powder

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I would never go back to a carbed sled. Probably better than they used to be but new FI sleds are soooooo much better. Get and 800 etec. My maintenance adverse budddy has a 2015 he has rode the doo doo out of. Sat at my house three weeks, outside, starts on the first pull.

The 800s in the Doos and Cats are good for 4000 miles. By then the whole sled is worn out, time for a new one again. Find a used 800. Expand you budget if you can to get onto the newer chassis.

B
Dec 14, 2010
UPDATE:

rented 3 skidoo sport 600 carb 146” and one Polaris RMK pro 600 154”. Was able to find about 6-8” of powder but there was a solid base under the powder from thaw freeze happening over the last week.

My thoughts:

Skidoo Sport 600s carb:
Had a more manageable power delivery
Had plenty of down low power but possibly too short of track
Side hilling was ok, didn’t respond well to my 160lbs (felt like I was too light for the sled)

Polaris thoughts
A lot of power, but I struggled the manage the power
Good track length, didn’t want to trench
Was more willing to let my 160lbs throw it around (more flickable)

Overall the new riding forward styles seemed very squirrelly. Did not get that planted feel of the older style sleds. However, by just throwing both my feet on one side, the machine responded much better than the old style where you’d have to tug on the mountain bar hard to get it to go where you want. As a result I didn’t use the mountian bar on the Polaris or skidoo nearly as much as on the older style sleds

Closing thoughts: I read that other light weight guys can struggle with be able to flick a new skidoo (suspension geometry?) and that the 09-11 Cats were more flickable and responded better to throwing weight around.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
My daughter who weighs 110 could carve and side hill a 1999 Polaris 700 151. However when she went to a 2015 Skidoo 800 154 she became a very aggressive and competent rider. It was unbelievable what she could do on that sled. I do not understand how you think that you were to light for that sled. Definitely the longer track is a must for deep powder. Rental sleds are not going to be set up correctly for you. Suspension set up is critical. Get the newest sled you can and avoid carbs if you can. That 800 went 6100 miles before a ring rotated in it. Peter

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I agree with LP, it isn't your smaller stature holding you back. I ride with a couple guys that are ~160, both ride 174/175" Ski Doo's like the wind. I taught them well and now their youth is wearing my old butt out! My buddy Levi was 60 years old and140 lbs with rods and screws in his back and hip from a car accident years past. The guy walked with a bad limp but he too could make that Doo do things you didn't think were possible.

You will get used to the power of the new 800's. You will get too used to the 600 power after a very short time. Go for an 800.

The Polaris is a GREAT sled. I had '13 and '14 800 Pro RMKs and a '16 Axys 800 RMK, all 155's. I still think they are the most fun on the snow, just too fragile for my budget.

Find a '13-14 Pro 800 with a blown motor and have Indy Dan build you one. That would keep the budget down some and produce a pretty reliable fun machine.

I pass on the '09 Cat, lots of good updates but not the razor sharp 800 HO motor. Look at '10-11 models. They are nowhere near as sharp as the Polaris in the handling dept. I like the handling better than the Doo however, I can't ride those... Good sleds clearly, many small things about them turn me off and I hate the rider position/handle bar angle.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
the 600 pro is basically the same weight as the 800 and way underpowered.

I think you've overthinking this way too much. According to your profile you're 24 years old, whatever you get won't be the last snowmobile you ever own so it doesn't have to be the picture perfect choice. There's plenty of sound advice on here - pick a sled and pull the trigger, if you find out you don't like it you can always let it go and try something else

Premium Features