• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

In memoriam

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Checketts
:doh: Once again, I miss the obvious answer, staring me straight in the face! :lol:

Bummer either way! :( I've ridden that area. Definitely some steep chit up there!

R.I.P. fellow sledder! :face-icon-small-sad

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
A good number of snowmobilers here in the Missoula MT area have gone to the great hillclimb in the sky. FORUM members...........are you kidding! They owned every snomobile magazine and waited for some kid to invent the internet, meanwhile they humped out there every day making sledding better for everyone.

In my back yard the BLACKFOOT RIVER VALLEY, the all time rock solid guy was CLIFF RUBLE and his wife JOYCE.
In the 80's and 90's they snowmobiled THE GOLD CREEK DRAINAGE 3 nites a week and every Sat and Sunday. OH, they didn't just snowmobile, they cleared trails, they built trails, they marked trails, they shoveled safe passages across hillsides when nobody had sidehill cutting clippers, CLIFF had a big aluminum scoop shovel saw and all emergency gear at all times.......and a big friendly smile, in the summer Cliff patrolled the area and picked up campsites and keger litter, fixed signs the guns & amo guys used as a whipping post while littering the area with beer cans, knew the size of Rack on the biggest bulls, reported fires, grinned as the floaters flashed him while they glided by his riverside home, towed out the pilgrims and set them straight, all with a big grin. He personally lobbied the LOGGING COMPANIES AND loggers to plow out parking areas for sledders, take down stupid dangerous gates, took phone calls about snow conditions from all over the country if he wasn't out there himself.

Big shoes that can't be filled. We promised to try, brings a tear to my eye. Lets say it was. CLIFFnJOYCEPOLARIS on the big forum in the sky.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott, thank you posting that.
I TOTALLY forgot that we talked about Dave at the Veterans Ride, on March 14.

Dave put in a lot of time on this forum.
Rest in peace, Dave.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
And Don Phillips died THIS month also.
HUGE loss for the Missoula sledding community.

A good number of snowmobilers here in the Missoula MT area have gone to the great hillclimb in the sky. FORUM members...........are you kidding! They owned every snomobile magazine and waited for some kid to invent the internet, meanwhile they humped out there every day making sledding better for everyone.

In my back yard the BLACKFOOT RIVER VALLEY, the all time rock solid guy was CLIFF RUBLE and his wife JOYCE.
In the 80's and 90's they snowmobiled THE GOLD CREEK DRAINAGE 3 nites a week and every Sat and Sunday. OH, they didn't just snowmobile, they cleared trails, they built trails, they marked trails, they shoveled safe passages across hillsides when nobody had sidehill cutting clippers, CLIFF had a big aluminum scoop shovel saw and all emergency gear at all times.......and a big friendly smile, in the summer Cliff patrolled the area and picked up campsites and keger litter, fixed signs the guns & amo guys used as a whipping post while littering the area with beer cans, knew the size of Rack on the biggest bulls, reported fires, grinned as the floaters flashed him while they glided by his riverside home, towed out the pilgrims and set them straight, all with a big grin. He personally lobbied the LOGGING COMPANIES AND loggers to plow out parking areas for sledders, take down stupid dangerous gates, took phone calls about snow conditions from all over the country if he wasn't out there himself.

Big shoes that can't be filled. We promised to try, brings a tear to my eye. Lets say it was. CLIFFnJOYCEPOLARIS on the big forum in the sky.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Doesn't look like Marty Glodowski, long time forum moderator, was added to this thread.
He passed in June of 2022, of a sudden cardiac medical event.

Rest in peace "Marty UT".

wyobob44

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2005
Sundance, WY
For those that have ridden at Togwotte Mountain Lodge and have ridden with Carter Gerdes, he has been battling Cancer and lost the fight on Sunday night, i worked with him for many many years on the Mountain and in the summers he has laid a lot of flooring for me over the years, he always wanted everyone to believe he was a tough old man, but he had a heart of gold and would move heaven and earth to help a friend, and he was the same to help a snowmobilier that was in need of help..I will miss him, heaven has received an helluva guide to help there
Rest in Peace old friend
Bob

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
For those that have ridden at Togwotte Mountain Lodge and have ridden with Carter Gerdes, he has been battling Cancer and lost the fight on Sunday night, i worked with him for many many years on the Mountain and in the summers he has laid a lot of flooring for me over the years, he always wanted everyone to believe he was a tough old man, but he had a heart of gold and would move heaven and earth to help a friend, and he was the same to help a snowmobilier that was in need of help..I will miss him, heaven has received an helluva guide to help there
Rest in Peace old friend
Bob

Miss you Carter!
1701620095991.png
Carter Lee Gerdes died Oct. 30. He was 76. The following was provided by his family.
Carter was born May 10, 1947, to Jim and Delores Gerdes. Carter grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota, graduating from Washburn High School. He then joined the United States Army, 32nd Air Defense Command and served two years starting in 1966 and two more years in 1972.
He moved out West to Jackson Hole in 1996. He worked summers at DS Installation, Edwards Custom Flooring and worked 26 winters sharing his love of snowmobiles guiding tours for Togwotee Mountain Lodge. If you couldn’t find him at the lodge, you could find him riding his Harley across the country with his wild hair and contagious smile.

Carter’s nephew, Mike Gerdes, has a favorite memory of Carter during a family Christmas. Carter opened a window, popped the screen and threw him and his brothers into the snow. The Gerdes family loved his crazy sense of humor and the excitement he brought to their lives.
Carter is proceeded in death by his father and mother Jim and Delores. He is survived by his brother Darrell (wife Donna), sister Starr Cepeda and many nieces and nephews.
He was loved by many across a vast area and will be dearly missed by his family and friends. A celebration of life and a memorial ride will be announced at a later date.

S

sledaddiction

Jul 23, 2012
Wyo
Brad Kinzer passed in early 2016. Part of Team 57. Had a few good conversations with him on here. If I remember correctly, his forum name was Bkinz

Premium Features