• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Salmon La Sac

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Anyone have info on the avalanche today 3/4/17. Snow park is closed tell further notice and recovery tomorrow. Rumor has it multiple caught one fatality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
Gally closed

Saw on Facebook there was a avy that took some people. Not sure how many but it's shut down from what I have been told. Please don't be stupid the snow will be around for awhile no reason to go out and be stupid. Prayers for all involved hoping for the best for a horrible situation. Let's all be safe and enjoy the rest of this epic season we have had.

B
Nov 16, 2013
Maple Valley
Everyone, snow is deep, epic at that. Seeing 40+ riders sitting when we came out of the trees was eary. Not a single sled making noise. We all think it will never be me or my group or its just a small slide.... well it happened and it was real. Watch ur friends and fellow riders close, get the gear, all of it. My thoughts n prayers go out to the families.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Lake Stevens
I was there with my wife. Just made a mark all the way to the top of the ridge. It happened at the far back bowl on the biggest climb back there. Afeter making a mark on the hill, I came down to have lunch with my wife. Just took off my avy pack and all gear. At 12:20 2 guys came up to the same bowl Mike and Brett, They the same hill I just made a mark on. As 1 of them turned out the whole hill broke loose. 1 of them was above the other. The higher rider was riding in the avalanche at first then gassed it and pulled out in front of the av. The other rider was below him. The av swallowed them up. I noticed that we were having lunch in the path of it. there was no time to move sleds or anything. I told my wife to run up hill as the cloud of snow came over us. I heard our sleds get hit as we were running and just waiting to be swept away. Luckily the av just missed us and when the snow cleared there was a wall of 4 foot of snow behind us where the sleds were us. I could see 1 guys(Brett) hand just above the snow. With all my gear gone with the snowmobiles, we ran over and dug him out by hand. I grabbed his beacon a began searching for the other rider(Mike). We could see his sled but I could not get a signal. After a couple of minutes some other guys came up from below and began to help. My wife was using a probe and had a hit by a tree just up from his sled. The beacon confirmed burial by a tree. All efforts were then changed to digging by the tree. I found a boot and we knew we had finally located Mike. We pulled him about about 40 minutes after the av and started cpr. This was was at 12:40. We worked on Mike for 6.5 hours. The helo finally located us and came in from 3 directions, but could not get a drop. We relocated Mike to the bottom of the bowl as instructed by the pilot. Then the call was made to stop and leave him there. Search and rescue were going up today to retrieve the body. Sherrifis office was at the trailhead as we made our way out about 9pm. Not a good way the end the day. Many thanks to those who stayed and did the right thing. Many lessons have been learned to be more safe. A few would be to test the gear your using, know how to use it and park in a place out of the way. So glad we were there to be able save 1 rider(Brett).

L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
Our condolences

So sorry to hear that this was the outcome. I was really hoping when they said he stayed the night with ground support that everyone survived.

Glad you were there doogals to help. Big thanks. That must have been hard. By any chance did they have avy packs on? Also great reminder about practicing. Tons of us have it all but how often do we practice.

S
Aug 1, 2008
western WA
Was there as well, there was no bags deployed. I may be wrong but I think they were wearing the klim backcountry pack.
Did not know the rider mike, but did not make the experience any easier. Prayers to family and everyone there with us that experienced it.

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
After reading all of these posts decided to check it out on FB and realized a group of my buddies and I had ridden with him earlier this year at Baker. Was such a humble guy that was fun to ride with. Words cannot describe how I feel right now and makes me really question how prepared I am along with my riding group. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Such a sad day.

Premium Features