• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bogging and no power.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
I was wondering if any body has had problems with their spark plug boots? I went out this weekend. I got about 2 km down the trail and it was bogging with no power and would not clear itself. It was like I had a fouled plug. I changed the plugs and no improvement. The week before I replaced a blown throttle body boot and reeds. So when this happened I was sure I leaned it out and cooked the pistons. I got home. Did a compression test with w.o.t. with the starter I had 115 to 120 psi compression. I was expecting higher, maybe around 150 psi. So I disassembled the top end. Expecting to have to have a problem. The dealer said the compression I had is normal. It all looked good. A few minor scuffs on the piston but other then that it looked good. I honed the cylinders, installed new pistons while I was there and put all back together. As a last effort I replace the spark plug boots and ends with ones from SLP. The dealer said they have some problems in the past with them. After I got it all back together and was warming it up I lowered the 3000 rpm low setting on the BD box to -3. The idle soothed out and it seems to be running good. Still have to take it out now to break it in and test it. If it wasn't the spark plug boots I don't know what else it could of been. Or has anybody have had problems with the BD pg turbo kit box acting up when it is really warm out? Just looking for some answers. Thanks.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
Just to let you know I found and have fixed the problem. I finally went out for a test ride, probably the last ride of the year. When we unloaded it seemed to be running OK. But as soon as I got down the trail I knew it wasn't right. Still running poorly and would not clear itself. I started to lower my psi # on the BD box. It was running better but still not right. After awhile we stopped to see if there was any thing else that we could see wrong. I remove the plastic cover that hold the spare belt. I just started unplugging all of the connectors to make sure they were all secure, clean and dry. I then found the problem. There was a wire that comes from the air box intake temp sensor that came unplugged from the connector body. As soon as I plugged it in and went for alittle ride I knew I had it. I guess I could of polled it out when I was in there change the throttle body boot and reeds. So just a reminder to zip tab and secure all of the wiring harnesses. It cost me a couple of good days riding and a top end rebuild that I probably did not need.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
No there was no engine light blinking. The air box temp sensor was the BD air density temp sensor. I am guessing it was thinking it was excessively hot and was enriching it up from the open circuit.

Premium Features