• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Neeed some Boondocker help

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I put the TPS on an analog voltmeter and it reads fine, no dead spots. Now WTF? Aside from selling this POS, which is in short order.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I have never been able to make sense of my a/f at anything but WOT. Its all over the place in any kind of trail riding. Do you have egt's as well. If so you might compare each side just to see if there is a difference when it happens.

Sorry... dont want to vandalize this thread, demons really suck!

Eric... ours all idle in the higher 14's then when you start to stab the throttle they settle into the 13's... then as it goes through the mid it will spike to 15-15.5 and then drop back down, to a comftorable range on the top end. Mine runs best at 12.5-12.9 on the top. PG... we wont push it that far.

As always its just a guide, but all the sleds we have dealt with acted this way or real close on the AF.

You might be a little rich, that will throw things all over.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Ski, This may be stupid, just thinking out loud. What year sled? What flash is in it after your update? I wonder if the ECU's you are swapping with have different flashes or if you have an intermittent injector problem. You will see the injector color designation on each, I wonder if they are the same. Do you have anyone will to do injector swaps just to ge that off the list.

I dont know much about the advanced injector/voltage recording/setting on your box, but maybe that could help diagnose with the help of one of the BD Guru's. The intermittent Ghremlins seem to give the most brain damage. Hang in there man. EW

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Sled is an 08, and it has scuffed pistons with multiple reflashes. The Ecu's are programmed for red injectors. It also had 2 injectors replaced during the update, suposedly because one was leaking and the other a dented tip, suposedly. All of the garage testing has been done with and without the box hooked. Doesn't seem to make a difference that I can see.

M

mngoat

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
have a 2008 that i have been chasing gremlins very similar to yours(ovs turbo) very erratic in the way it would run. Just when you though it was running better would lean itself out. Not pulling rpms then it would. Just goofy stuff. Switch out VR, fuel filters, change ECU with friends would work fine for a bit then bad. Put mine back in run fine the bad after a day or two. Finally replaced the stator and it has run perfect ever since. Not that this is your problem but i feel your pain when it comes to chasing your tail around with these things. Good luck.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I spent some time troubleshooting today, I can't find anything wrong. I can get it to stumble badly sometimes, the mfd would reset a few times intermittently when wicking the throttle. Nothing that was predictably repeatable, then worked fine while still getting it to stumble.

BTW, are you supposed to have 9 VAC coming off of the yellow stator wires?

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Here's the piston wash.

updatepistons005.jpg

This is the squeaked side.
updatepistons004.jpg

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I am not sure if you checked this or not just an idea. I have an 08 and it was doing weird things. Turned out my voltage regulator was going out. I guess they have had some bad ones. Your volts should be constant maybe something to check?

S
Oct 29, 2008
I have an 08 D8 with BDPG set up and I was having the exact same issue's. Every now and then I would start to really run lean through mostly my mids. I had to do the blurp-blurp riding someone above mentioned. Eventual burndown happened. Upon rebuild we found one of my injectors was bent just the tinyest bit. This was the cause of the leaning out. Even the slightest abnormality in an injector, 10% less flow, can and will cause leaning. This is no exact science but upon injector replacement I have 300 problem free miles holding 7.5lbs all day. Egts are nearly identical again with no real leans spots. I am using 09 flash. Hope this might help someone

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Both of my cylinder injectors have been replaced and still scored another piston, so no difference there. Which injectors control the midrange? I forget.

I rode for 5 days after the update and rode Saturday. All of a sudden, as I'm ripping it across a lake it cuts out and dies. WTF! I pop the hood and the whole motor is covered in gas! I look it over and find that the fuel line disconnect has pulled apart. I'm pretty sure it got jacked up at the dealer, but I did get some rides on it before it came apart. A few zip strips later and I rode for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Did you figure it out?

Did you figure what was wrong with your sled? I am curious because I am plan on putting a BD turbo on but this thread makes me think twice.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Nope! I just got it put back together this morning. I sent a set of pistons to Swain tech and had them coated. I have talked to different people at BD and they don't have an answer for me. The last suggestion they gave me was to drill the hole in the T stat larger. Brad Story seems to think that it is the 2" intake that is the problem, causing too high of intake temps. He has a water cooled intercooler that gives him 60 degree temps. Who freakin knows.

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
I had this problem on my 08 figgured it out on the hill sat one of my hand warmers was not working well and my fueling was all over the place with no rpm or power un pluged the hand warmers 3 pulls later it was at 8500 and ripped the rest of the day hand warmer was shorting out . lost 1 regulator 1 ecu and 1 pistion and cyc due to this stupid hand warmer.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Montana
erratic operation

Skibreeze, have you ohmed out the stator? This is the same issues I was having on my 07 with a silber turbo w/attitude controller. I had a bad stator. It would bog after the sled warmed up and it was all over the place on the A/F. There is a tech bulletin on this. I replaced the stator and it hasn't had an issue since. What is your voltage indicator showing on your display? Mine was down to half way.... silverfox

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Sounds all the word of an electrical grimlin. Stator, Voltage reg, ECU, Ground, wire grounding out?

Def not a intake charge temp issue the ADA adjust for the temps (almost all kits are ADA from 2008 and up) and wile yes a cooler charge temps are better like a mini cooler ect it is not the issue.

Premium Features