• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King's Hill 2018/19

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
We went west yesterday and out to Williams Park with stops in between. The snow was tracked, windblown and hard. The signs of our fresh was down to a couple inches. Off trail is at your own risk.

There was a fairly large avalanche back towards Baldy on what they call Cabin Mountain. Wind loaded eastern slope, although it does slide almost every year.
There are pictures on the club's FB page.

The logging out at Higgans is finished but the berm is still there and the road is plowed. Nothing we can do till we get some snow at this point. We may try and knock the berm down some with the groomer but we need Forest Service approval and we know where we are there.

Talk to you later.....

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I think this last storm amounted to about 8" in spots. We were up Wednesday and there was nothing new to report. It was a bluebird day though with no wind. The meadows are still short and need more snow. The grooming association did get the OK to work on the berms across Spur Park and Higgans so Jeff is out now doing that. He was going to go up Deadman's road and try to pull snow onto the road. It's a mess up there so bear with us. Trail T down Lamb Creek will NOT be groomed and 3 cabins is still plowded for logging. Most other trails have been groomed but in most cases there isn't enough snow to do a good job.

Ride safe.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
We were out yesterday and found decent fresh snow almost everywhere.
Conditions changed from hard and tracked to a softer kind of snow with no bottom. There is more snow on the way which is good as we need it.
Go out have a good time but watch the obstacles as they are everywhere.

Make sure your beacon is transmitting, our beacon checker needs a near stop to work.

Have a great day.

Attachments

• 20190119_151411.jpg
    20190119_151411.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 65

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Got word from Jeff, he spent about 6 hours trying to clean up Deadman's road and across the top of Spur Park to Higgens. He said the road came out OK but across the top the snow was very hard and left allot of big chunks that he
couldn't break up. With that thought in mind, the road across the top will reclaim it's self but there will be some hazards in it. Just watch your step, that's all we are asking.

New snow cures allot of problems and we are getting some of that.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Talked to Jeff this morning and he said there was 8" to 10" most everywhere. He had groomed the Sheep Creek loop and has worked on the trail down to Adams Creek and over to the plowed road at 3 Cabins.

He has not groomed Lamb Creek trail and will not at this time. The road is scheduled to be plowed for logging operations and we have received requests from the logger and the Forest Service to not groom as it'll make it very difficult to plow. Just trying to get along...

The trail from Spur Park to Higgans is starting to reclaim it's self with a little help from the groomer. Watch the big piles of snow, they are HARD and now snow covered.

Things are looking great for this weekend's MSA riding convention.

Everyone ride safe.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Jeff groomed as much as he could last night till he ran short on fuel. He went across Higgins and down to Allen Gulch then back up and worked on the west side. He said by weeks end he will have groomed almost every trail on the mountain. Some places had up words of 18". The trail across Higgans is filling in and reclaiming it's self. There are still piles of very hard snow and now look inviting with the fresh, just remember they are hard.

With out a doubt, Jeff is the best. You will never see him out as he is exclusively at night but if you should see him, stop him and thank him for his efforts.

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
It was busy up there yesterday. All three parking lots were full . We didn't go into the cross country lot but could see rigs there too. It looked like Jefferson Bowl was locked in the clouds as was Weatherwax so we stayed up Divide way and found a little untouched powder.It was our first time out for the season so we took it pretty easy.

Ken.........

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Haven't been up in a week, rode Trans Montana, but I did hear that Fish and Game were checking trail passes, need I say more? It's $ 18.00 ( $ 6.00 per year) the money does great things for the state wide grooming programs.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I haven't been up for a week or so, pretty chilly in my book. Jeff groomed down through Miller Gulch last night. He is starting to get things back into shape. Meagher County fun run President's day weekend February 17. I don't know the times but there are flyers at the dealers and the Neihart store I would assume.

You can always use this link if you are interested in grooming. I find it hard to follow but easier if you view it in satellite view.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0AsKrDaxQg7imfrWTI4qA2LLuqE6OFmoc

Safe riding , there are a lot of avalanche signs with reports from fellow riders of areas sliding that have never slid before.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
We finally made it up for a ride yesterday, it snowed hard all day and the snow was fantastic. It was go most anywhere stuff with about 18" of fresh snow. Was below zero in town but at the top of Ritezville hill it went to 26 degrees. Temp on top was about the same with some colder areas. Jeff is grooming trails for Sunday's fun run. Keep it in mind, it starts from the former Myers cabin just down from Forest Green.

Remember, the snow pack is unstable so don't get too carried away on the slopes.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
We finally made it up again, Friday was a sunny day and pretty chilly. Everywhere we went there was a bunch of snow. Winter is upon us my friends.
The trails were groomed perfect and set up.

Saturday started cold and stayed that way most of the day. There actually was some untracked left but not any more. Talked to some guys that set off an avalanche in the drainage across from Ant Park, nobody trapped or hurt good thing.. We looked at it, and it was pretty big.

Fish and game was checking trail passes again Saturday, I guess they really do want everyone to buy one and attach it to their sled. I must say our grooming program does benefit and I think our trails show it. $ 18.00, $ 6.00 per year that's about a glass of wine with dinner.

Ride safe...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Group of us were up there Saturday and found some good stuff to ride in. It was certainly on the cool side! Was really glad the sun was at least shining all afternoon. Trails were in great shape.

We were headed down into that drainage to play off of Ant and got there right after those guys triggered it. Had only been a few minutes and they were still there talking about it. I've never seen a slide like that in the Belts in the 20+ years we've been riding there.

X
Mar 12, 2018
We were headed down into that drainage to play off of Ant and got there right after those guys triggered it. Had only been a few minutes and they were still there talking about it. I've never seen a slide like that in the Belts in the 20+ years we've been riding there.

our group was riding with those guys earlier in the morning, then we all split up cuz the group was too big.

we had woomphing literally everywhere later on in the afternoon, it was crazy. snow was collapsing everywhere. then later that night one of the guys called us and mentioned the set off a pretty good size slide. i honestly wasnt terribly surprised though, with what we had been seeing all afternoon. was good to hear everyone was ok

Premium Features