• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gopro Hero or Hero 2?

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
I am thinking about getting a gopro and was wondering if the hero 2 is worth the extra money over the hero? What are the diferences? What are good places to mount it? I am not a big fan of the helmet. Anyone use the chest mount and does it work good? I was also thinking about mounting it to the hood but I think it might not work so good if the skis are off the ground a lot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
go pro

I bought the hero 2 this summer to get ready for snow season. the battery has a very short life at high megapixals. i ended up setting the camera at a lot lower setting to get some batery life. don't buy any extras that use battery. the battery life is the downfall of this machine. takes great close pics.very poor distance pics. best on your helmet. looks stupid buts you get the best pics. buy the lower priced camera and no extras. if you dont agree buy mine and extra batterys and extras and i will buy a lower priced hero. it is good at certain things but high megapixal and anything you that uses batteries is bad.

B

bboll

Mar 28, 2012
prairiebound,

I looking at picking up one of these cameras and don't want to spend a ton of cash for something that could potentially fall off and get lost. Debating between the hero & hero 2. Used primarily as a home movie camera replacement - we are getting tired of hauling a video camera along.

So if I understand your logic correctly something like the Hero naked would work just fine? see link...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GoPro-HD-NAKED-HERO-Camera-with-Bonus-16GB-SD-Card-Value-Bundle/21011621

Also, is true that they only record in short bursts? How can you tell if it is running when it is mounted on your helmet?

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
prairiebound,

I looking at picking up one of these cameras and don't want to spend a ton of cash for something that could potentially fall off and get lost. Debating between the hero & hero 2. Used primarily as a home movie camera replacement - we are getting tired of hauling a video camera along.

So if I understand your logic correctly something like the Hero naked would work just fine? see link...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GoPro-HD-NAKED-HERO-Camera-with-Bonus-16GB-SD-Card-Value-Bundle/21011621

Also, is true that they only record in short bursts? How can you tell if it is running when it is mounted on your helmet?

A GoPro will not work as a home video camera. They have no zoom feature and because they have a fish eye wide view lens, everything will look further away than it is.
These cameras will record as long as your memory card and battery last.
The only way to tell if your camera is running is to see if the red light is flashing on the unit. Other than that, you can hear audible beeps when the camera is first turned on or off.
I love my GoPro 960. Had it for a few years now and it's been great. One battery pack usually lasts me all day. But I do carry a spare. I've heard the LCD display on the new ones eats a lot of battery if used a lot.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I have both a Hero and Hero 2. The Hero 2 is worth the extra money for several reasons. Go to their web site and compare. As has been said, they are not a good replacement for a home video camera.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I dislke my Hero, going to buy a 2 or another brand. Hard to hear the beeps to tell if it is on or not, unless I look at the light I have no idea if it is on, I have missed a lot of stuff when I thought it was. I have it mounted to the facepart on my helmet, that works well, but to tell if it is on I have to take the helmet off or have it very quiet to listen. It is also horrible on snow, everything gets overexposed. I tried the filters they sell, it helps, but still going to sell it and buy a better one. Oh, and battery life eats hot ballz.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I use the 960 as well. I've shot quite a bit of footage with it over the last few years. Obviously its a pretty basic camera but for the money its pretty hard to beat. That Gopro Naked looks like a decent deal if you just want to have a bit of fun filming. I'm to the point with videos now where nobody wants to watch only helmet cam footage, I need more angles so I'd like to get a decent handheld camera. As for mounting the hood sucks, it vibrates and is always under the snow, a friend of mine uses the chest for dirt biking but I've never tried it. I've had the best luck with on top of my helmet although I have broken a few mounts. All the vids on our Youtube channel are shot with the 960. I guess it really depends on how serious you are going to get making videos. The big time eater is the editing. I've looked at the 2 and I'm not sure I need it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WRnytro?feature=CAQQwRs=

M5

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I bought the Hero 2. It still does all the stuff as the hero but has additional capabilities when you want them.

B

bboll

Mar 28, 2012
Thanks for the relpies to my question guys, wasn't trying to hyjack the thread...

Maybe my group needs to pony up and get a smaller handheld (older sony handy cam right now) and a go pro. We are far from professionals and will not be spending a lot of time editing footage. I think that the biggest problem with a traditional video camera is having someone stop, take it out of their jacket and film everyone else riding. We all just want to ride!

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
I have a Hero 2 and the control it has of exposure ALONE is enough to make it worth the extra money in my opinion. It works awesome at night, as well as when theres bright sunlight beating down on the snow. It just plain works. I could always hear the beeps over my '05 M7 with a full D&D Big Barker exhaust on it (read: loud). I love my Hero 2. I couldn't recommend it more. I'm thinking about getting a chest mount this year.

This is an awesome video with a chest-mounted Hero 2. See link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5UZh8MHKvE&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LL1TB8HqoulS8-TZK2xwxxPA

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
Awesome! Keep all the opinions coming, I like seeing all the different options out there. I never realized how many different companies make a camera like that. Do the cameras other than the gopros have a lot of different mounting options like the chesty?

E
Jul 24, 2009
Holland, Mich.
The JVC Adixxion has 1/4" x 20 threads on the bottom and side. If you have to mount it upside down, the camera has a feature that will make the camera record so the video will look correct.....if that makes sense.....

I have a Ram Mounts suction cup mount and a grab bar mount that work kind of like a zip tie, just wrap it around a round surface, pull it tight and, mount the camera and go. It also came with 2, 3M backed adhesive mounts to attach to a curved or flat surfaces.

S

Slimbo

Aug 3, 2012
Drayton Valley, AB
The JVC Adixxion has 1/4" x 20 threads on the bottom and side. If you have to mount it upside down, the camera has a feature that will make the camera record so the video will look correct.....if that makes sense.....

I have a Ram Mounts suction cup mount and a grab bar mount that work kind of like a zip tie, just wrap it around a round surface, pull it tight and, mount the camera and go. It also came with 2, 3M backed adhesive mounts to attach to a curved or flat surfaces.

The drift hd also has a turnable lense housing that spins something like 260 degrees so that if the camera is on any angle when mounted, you can turn the lens either way for a perfectly level shot. IMO the ease of use, lcd, spin-able/ replaceable lens, helmet, goggle, and flat mounting options all INCLUDED is wicked.

E
Jul 24, 2009
Holland, Mich.
The drift hd also has a turnable lense housing that spins something like 260 degrees so that if the camera is on any angle when mounted, you can turn the lens either way for a perfectly level shot. IMO the ease of use, lcd, spin-able/ replaceable lens, helmet, goggle, and flat mounting options all INCLUDED is wicked.

The Adixxion lens is not "rotatable" like the Contour and the Drift......it's fixed, but the camera has a setting in the menu that, if you have to mount it upside down, can be set to invert the picture to right side up.
I looked at the places I was planning to mount the Adixxion to, and decided I didn't need a rotatable lens.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
A guy was skydiving with it and on his way out of the plane the camera hit the top of the door, knocking it off the helmet... I'll find the vid a little later today and post it up for you guys.

It just landed on grass if I remember correctly, it was last christmas I saw the video.

Premium Features