• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

telescopic steering slop fix???

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
anyone have a fix for the sloppy steering in the adjustable steering posts? i have the bdx steering support. but there still seems to be a large area of movement on the post or steering shafts/ends.

i am not talking about the front to rear movement from the post being anchored by the flexing fuel tank. i am talking about the movement in the bars side to side, like when you are turning left and right. mine probably has over an inch of play.

i would like to tighten this up and have a crisper turning more responsive steering.

any help appreciated. ski

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
some may not like the adjustable post. personally, i like the adjustability. the problem i am having is not with the bdx anti slop, (i have). i also dont have the lower mount issue that the akmodshop mod fixes. it appears to be in the adjustable post itself.

still looking for a way to tighten things up, and retain the factory adj post without buying a 300.00 bdx part. ski

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
There is no fix, the tolerances are just bigger than they should be (but if they were tighter, it would take VERY little for it to sieze).

The best "fix" I have come up with is a healthy dose of grease, this does three things: #1, it provides a "cushion" which makes the bars feel less clunky (what you're looking for, to an extent). #2, it allows the adjustment to slide smoother. #3, it takes up space that snow will try to work into if you roll the sled, and this will keep the snow from melting then freezing & keeping the post from sticking.

When I used to roll my sled I'd drop the bars to decrease the force on the bulkhead & the post, then later I'd pull them back up. If I didn't remember to do it right away they wouldn't move. Once I greased the pizz out of the adjuster it felt better & this problem stopped.

Still doesn't fix the "garbage-ness" of the post...:D but that's what I got for ya!

Edit,

btw, rox & fly both make adjustable risers that you can use to have a good post, AND still retain that adjust-ability that you like.

I tried a tall riser on my setup, and now I'm going to an adj riser, so I can be high for jumping, but drop it a bit for technical stuff.

koK83nxmASsKn8ENmoXIsU8kSITzddR1Mvk5SP6oI1iKIpxXifay-WTCtyg_lWPzZLj3ejTwtep_62rznTuLZVX2f2j5B5tJk4PUb5fV4GO-rbzyp3QOXfr9R6Gw_FKyJXSMjJVqK3bKGKdF8OYwvtuTc-047t-sxuoo0CZfwUwU=s90

$(KGrHqR,!kwE2JPG1ZmCBNnJjlu!qw~~0_12.JPG

After you sell that adj post to some sucker from SW who wants it (johnmaster... you readin this??? :D) you're really not spending much at all to upgrade to a MUCH tougher setup that's also lighter.

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
post slop

I have BDX anti slop also, it helped a bunch but mine also has about a inch of play. It's a pain, but i say if it isn't broke don't fix it,, i'm dealing with it and when it craps the bed i'll do it up right. don't let it take away from your fun. guzzy a cold one and say fk it

Premium Features