• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018-2019 Island Park / West Yellowstone Snow Reports

iplocal

Always looking for new mountain riding partners!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2015
Island Park, ID & Mt St Helens, WA
Bubkis...Just checked my cameras at my cabin on Henrys lake (disclaimer, always lighter out there but still close to 6700ft). Only about 3" on the ground, black bear snowtel shows 24" at 8200ft in IP. The good news is that so far unlike last year we have a good base setting up without a freeze/thaw cycle which of course means the avi danger might be less once the snow actually does start to stack up. Given that it is going to snow a bit every day this week I bet the flatlanders might be able to hit the trails this weekend but I imagine its going to take 2-3 weeks for the off trail landmine danger to subside. We need some big dumps.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Bubkis...Just checked my cameras at my cabin on Henrys lake (disclaimer, always lighter out there but still close to 6700ft). Only about 3" on the ground, black bear snowtel shows 24" at 8200ft in IP. The good news is that so far unlike last year we have a good base setting up without a freeze/thaw cycle which of course means the avi danger might be less once the snow actually does start to stack up. Given that it is going to snow a bit every day this week I bet the flatlanders might be able to hit the trails this weekend but I imagine its going to take 2-3 weeks for the off trail landmine danger to subside. We need some big dumps.

Ya, sure would be nice if it just STAYS COLD and that base it allowed to build up nice and solid for a change!

And its still early in our season. so we tend to always NEED MORE SNOW before December.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Need a pattern change or I am thinking its going to be a light snow year
That is kinda the current forecast for us.
All we can do is sit back and see what the Snow Gods send our way.

Meanwhile the other side of the range seems to be doing quite well in Togwotee.

T
Feb 28, 2016
Anyone go up this weekend and find good snow? Hopefully picking up my alpha before the weekend and I'd like to get out and ride!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
00532b1eed6ddf68ea56774efe8387f4.jpg

9fe629eab7fee9f03d36dad2c9c97bd1.jpg

263eb2e093e17c2cbb7d217237223873.jpg

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Took the GF on her first ever sled ride on the Black Canyon loop. Don't think the groomer has been out, but the trail is decent with loose snow. I would not consider going off trail yet, the Ranger's stop in the Big Springs parking lot and while checking for permits, they told me a guy was off trail a day or 2 before and hit something hard which tore off one side of his front suspension. They stated everything on that side of the IFS was gone. He nailed the handlebars with his chest or stomach which also tore his coat.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Took the GF on her first ever sled ride on the Black Canyon loop. Don't think the groomer has been out, but the trail is decent with loose snow. I would not consider going off trail yet, the Ranger's stop in the Big Springs parking lot and while checking for permits, they told me a guy was off trail a day or 2 before and hit something hard which tore off one side of his front suspension. They stated everything on that side of the IFS was gone. He nailed the handlebars with his chest or stomach which also tore his coat.

Have heard similar stories already

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, the only ride able snow here was in Black Canyon, you could get around pretty well if you stayed out of the burn areas, however, believe it or not the areas pretty well rode out. Black Canyon loop is pretty hammered as of two days ago, with no grooming. . keg springs is nada. We had some decent snow till Sunday, warmed up and it settled down hard... It's snowing here now, hopefully we'll load up this week, though I've already bagged a few good early rides

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 90

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yeah, the only ride able snow here was in Black Canyon, you could get around pretty well if you stayed out of the burn areas, however, believe it or not the areas pretty well rode out. Black Canyon loop is pretty hammered as of two days ago, with no grooming. . keg springs is nada. We had some decent snow till Sunday, warmed up and it settled down hard... It's snowing here now, hopefully we'll load up this week, though I've already bagged a few good early rides

We picked up a couple inches down here in the valley.
Hopefully you got a bit more up there?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Ditto's about the same here, though it's been snowing lightly all day. NWS says less than a half inch tonight and a 1/2" tomorrow, then issues an advisory calling for 5-8, then again maybe 12" plus... much buffoonery at taxpayer expense :face-icon-small-dis. I'll get up in the morning and what's on the ground will be what it is... sure fire forecast

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ditto's about the same here, though it's been snowing lightly all day. NWS says less than a half inch tonight and a 1/2" tomorrow, then issues an advisory calling for 5-8, then again maybe 12" plus... much buffoonery at taxpayer expense :face-icon-small-dis. I'll get up in the morning and what's on the ground will be what it is... sure fire forecast

Thats always the best route.
But
If we get 12 over night.
I might come up for a rip tomorrow!
By now there should be a base setting up nicely.
We just need MOAR on top of it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Severe Weather Alerts - Island Park, ID

• Winter Weather Advisory

Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 11:00 PM MST until Wednesday, 5:00 PM MST. Source: U.S. National Weather Service

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS
EVENING TO 5 PM MST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow and blowing snow expected. Plan on difficult travel
conditions. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 8 inches are
expected, with localized amounts up to 12 inches at higher
elevations.

* WHERE...Island Park, Targhee Pass, Victor, and Pine Creek Pass.

* WHEN...From 11 PM this evening to 5 PM MST Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 35 mph will cause
areas of blowing and drifting snow. Reduced visibilities and
drifting of snow may cause rapidly changing road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow and blowing snow means periods
of snow and blowing snow will cause primarily travel
difficulties. Be prepared for snow covered roads and limited
visibilities, and use caution while driving. The latest road
conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Late season trip

Thinking about a late season trip to IP area, possibly 2nd week of March. Will the groomers still be running between West and IP?
Thanks,

Premium Features