• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills Conditions #1

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The groomer training will be next week Thursday and Friday. I was up last Saturday to cut a Christmas Tree. Went as far as Junction 1 and 8. I tried going up Boles Canyon road (FS117) to have lunch at Trailshead but had to turn around. There were no tracks and it snowing hard enough that I could not see the road. As of Saturday noon there was 6 inches new snow over 6 inches old crusty snow. The pictures were taken on the road to the Blind Park SNOTEL site. Trail 8 will be rerouted through there due to logging activity.

20181124_123855.jpg 20181124_123844.jpg

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
The groomer training will be next week Thursday and Friday. I was up last Saturday to cut a Christmas Tree. Went as far as Junction 1 and 8. I tried going up Boles Canyon road (FS117) to have lunch at Trailshead but had to turn around. There were no tracks and it snowing hard enough that I could not see the road. As of Saturday noon there was 6 inches new snow over 6 inches old crusty snow. The pictures were taken on the road to the Blind Park SNOTEL site. Trail 8 will be rerouted through there due to logging activity.

that's the second time in 4 years they ran the trail through one of the best play areas!!! :devil:

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
Trails don't open until the 15th dont they? Grooming wouldn't start much before then or do they groom the forest service sections just not private property access? Anxious for them to get some snow trip planned between Christmas and new years

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Trails will not open until Dec. 15th. Gates accessing private property and on closed FS road sections will not be opened until around the 15th. They will be grooming some areas around Trailshead tomorrow to train new groomer operators. The crew signed most of the trail routes by snocat (no drag) so some snow has been packed. I will start trail inspections tomorrow. I have to cover all 350 miles before the 15th.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Trails will not open until Dec. 15th. Gates accessing private property and on closed FS road sections will not be opened until around the 15th. They will be grooming some areas around Trailshead tomorrow to train new groomer operators. The crew signed most of the trail routes by snocat (no drag) so some snow has been packed. I will start trail inspections tomorrow. I have to cover all 350 miles before the 15th.

it does not suck yo be you

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Thanks sno cop

Thanks Duane I may come out on the 15thth if your reports are good. This is the only time my son can get away so hoping for some trail riding.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Rode yesterday South through Mallo Camp and all the way South on 12 and 12B. Good snow all the way. They groomed South on 1 to the Junction of 12 (used to be trail 11). Trail groomed up great. Most of the area had 12-15 inches. Today I rode all the way North. It is thinner to the North but still good enough to keep you off the gravel and most of the rocks on the trail. They groomed North on 1 a few miles, North on 4 half way to Spearfish Canyon and half way across 3B. All groomed up really good. Thinnest snow was up at Big Hill Lot but still ridable. Rode 70 miles yesterday and 135 miles today. Off trail is very risky. Saw some sleds come in today with busted ski's and A-arms.

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
Our cabin is in by the Kinship Ministries camp just up the trail from Custer crossing, hows that spur that runs down there, forget the trail number, 7c sticks in my head

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Our cabin is in by the Kinship Ministries camp just up the trail from Custer crossing, hows that spur that runs down there, forget the trail number, 7c sticks in my head

Have not been that far yet. I was at Dumont today and the snow gets much thinner as you get close to Dumont. I will probably hit 7C Wednesday. I also was through Black Fox and Recreational Springs today.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD

I was down 7C to Custer Crossing by snowmobile today. There was snow cover but very thin as you get closer to Custer Crossing. Lots of rocks not covered well enough. I would not recommend 7C until they get more snow.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Anyone been down trail 7 into deadwood? Can you get to mountain meadow by trail?

I rode into Deadwood today. There is snow cover but it is thin. 5 between Rec Springs and Lead also has snow cover but is thin. Rec Springs and South is much better. Most of trail 7 from 5C to Mystic Hills is quite miserable to ride. 7 between Mystic Hills and Dumont gets better. Trail 7 along Hwy 385 has maybe 2-4 inches. Conditions going into Mountain Meadows is much better. The snow is a little thinner close to Mountain Meadows but much better than Deadwood or Lead. The snow gets good as you go West from Mountain Meadows.

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I finished trail inspections today. I rode all 350 miles of trail by snowmobile. I cannot remember the last time I was able to conduct the pre season inspections solely by snowmobile. There were a few areas I wish I had not used the snowmobile like 7 and 7C but most of the areas were in really good shape for this early in the season, especially to the South. It started snowing this afternoon. There was 4 inches of new snow on the ground at Hardy Camp when I left at 5pm and it was still dumping hard. The wind was also starting to blow. Crews will start grooming Saturday afternoon.

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
Thank you for sharing! No one I trust more then you for Blackhills snow reports.
Looking forward to seeing everyone this season. Please be safe and respect our trails!

Nooby

Premium Features