• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 SP 'Check Key' problem code

Hello.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search and could not find anything.

My buddy's 2017 SP has a strange problem. Sometimes (but not always) when he starts the sled (pull start only sled), the sled throws a 'Check Key' code. He took it to the Dealer and re-programed his key AND he purchased a backup key just in case. It worked at the Dealer, but the next time he went to start it, it threw the same code again, even with the new key.

He took it back to the Dealer and they replaced the key post on the sled. Again, it worked at the Dealer, but he got home and it threw the code AGAIN.

Then he accidently figured out that if he squeezes the brake lever, the code stops. The trigger seemed to be putting the Parking Brake on in the trailer for the ride home from the Dealer. If you start it and get the code, just squeeze the brake lever again and the 'Check Key' code goes away.

Anyone else have this (very strange) problem? If so, were you able to fix it? Any suggestions?

We're worried the issue may get worse, and squeezing the brake lever trick no longer works, leaving him stranded on the mountain somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
Mine does the same thing but is the blow hole fan messing with the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke with a friend at the Dealer. He said to install a 'feret' around the wires near the key post to cut out interference. Not sure what a 'feret' is or where to get one though.

EDIT: Ok. It's not a 'feret', it's a 'Ferrite Magnet'. Granger has them. Install on wiring that interferes with the key connection. Supposedly fixes the problem.

Link: https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produ...ice^c-plaid^82128348717-sku^10E797-adType^PLA

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Spoke with a friend at the Dealer. He said to install a 'feret' around the wires near the key post to cut out interference. Not sure what a 'feret' is or where to get one though.

EDIT: Ok. It's not a 'feret', it's a 'Ferrite Magnet'. Granger has them. Install on wiring that interferes with the key connection. Supposedly fixes the problem.

It is commonly used in the video industry to minimize eddy currents or "unwanted" electrical "currents signals" traveling thru the wires.

In simple form a circular band of a magnet around the wire. It could be ferrite.

People throw them away in swarms in the video audio industry.

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Get the ferrite. Doo has them, think its an update. You move some wires around too.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Link: https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produ...ice^c-plaid^82128348717-sku^10E797-adType^PLA

6 bucks for a 10 cent magnet !

6 bucks and 10 cents for a magnet seems pretty cheap when you're sitting on the side of a mountain covered in deep snow and your sled won't run right (Check Key) to get back to the truck!

It turns-out there is a Skidoo update/kit to install a magnet and re-route some wires.

Premium Features