• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 RMK 800 Electrical Problem

J
Dec 6, 2018
I have a 2009 RMK 800 and last winter while riding, the voltage meter started going down as I was in some trails then the lights and dash went out while idling, but as soon as I'd rev the sled up over 2500rpms, the lights and everything would pop back on and the meter would climb a bit. Then finally the lights went very dim and the dash wouldn't turn on anymore. Rode the sled the rest of the way out of the trail and right when I got to the main road, it bogged out and died. Let it sit for a bit, and it fired back up. Had a high idle but still none of the lights worked. Got the sled home, left it sit over night, it fired up the next day in 3 pulls but still no lights and dash not working. Ran for about 15 minutes and then when I went to move it, it bogged out and died again. Took about 30 pulls to get it running again. So the sled still runs but high idles and no lights work. What could be the issue? I already replaced the VR but its doing the same thing still.

J
Dec 6, 2018
Drove the sled into the garage tonight and all of a sudden everything started working again for a bit then cut back out. Checked the capacitor and noticed it had a crack and was bubbled out a bit. Switched it with a good one but still having the same issue.

Solved the same problem

Had almost the exact same issue with my 2009 Dragon RMK 800. Changed the VR and stator, but no difference. Hade both the new and old ones measured up by an electric repair shop, and all was good. :frusty:

Ended up disconnecting EVERYTHING in the electrical system, cleaned the ground points, then reconnected only the necessary things to start the engine; stator to VR, capacitor, ignition coils, fuel pump and ECU (may have forgotten something). After it fired up I let it run for a couple of minutes to see if it would bog down, and when nothing happened I reconnected the other connectors one by one, starting with the hood.

To my surprise it worked like a charm afterwards, I believe the problem was a bad connection to the fuel pump which caused a high current draw which then killed the engine, but I can't know for sure. I've had zero electrical issues since then, which is about 3 years and 3000 km ago (close to 2000 miles). :)

Last edited:
Premium Features