• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Remembering Animal......

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I can't believe it has been 9 years! Many of you don't remember this place when Animal was around. He was the best...always good for a lot of laughs!
Resolve to be a better friend...think about giving something more of yourself to others today!

Be an Animal!

RIP my friend!

David Wayne Johnson
"Animal"
8-23-1962 to 1-8-2005

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I was thinking about him today. I drove out past his old house the other day on the way to an appointment. Any update on what his gals are up to these days?

sled_guy

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
DBphoto has a great vid on Facebook right now.

We all miss you Dave.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I was thinking about him today. I drove out past his old house the other day on the way to an appointment. Any update on what his gals are up to these days?

sled_guy
Dan...
Staci is married to her boyfriend Ryan. You may have met him? Janene and Michelle both have pretty serious boyfriends I believe, but I have only seen pics and haven't met them. You likely know, Carolyn was remarried the Summer before last. He seems to be a great guy.

I hope you are doing well. We need a get together sometime soon!
Kim

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
I have an original memorial sticker still on the backing paper

Don't come on here very often anymore and didn't see the request for the art work.

I still have a couple of the original stickers I've been saving for a new sled. Would these help anyone to create new?

PM me.

Rich

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Don't come on here very often anymore and didn't see the request for the art work.

I still have a couple of the original stickers I've been saving for a new sled. Would these help anyone to create new?

PM me.

Rich

There are new stickers. I have one on my truck right now. Got it this fall.
I think it may have been Scott Marquardt that made them. I got a small stack of them.

B
Feb 4, 2011
I ride past the Choke Cherry Ridge a number of times each winter and always think about the guy named Animal. I rode by the Choke Cherry Ridge last week and it had avalanched during our big natural cycle over Christmas. I never had the pleasure of meeting Animal. It sounds like he was quite the character.

His accident was during my first year of avalanche forecasting at the Utah Avalanche Center. We have poor records of that accident. I am now the main forecaster for the Skyline region. I would really like to update that accident report. I have spoken with a local who was there that day but I would love to hear from anyone else. It seems like a disservice to have such a limited report on an accident that obviously touched so many people. Let me know what you folks think.

Brett Kobernik
Utah Avalanche Center
Spring City, UT

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I ride past the Choke Cherry Ridge a number of times each winter and always think about the guy named Animal. I rode by the Choke Cherry Ridge last week and it had avalanched during our big natural cycle over Christmas. I never had the pleasure of meeting Animal. It sounds like he was quite the character.

His accident was during my first year of avalanche forecasting at the Utah Avalanche Center. We have poor records of that accident. I am now the main forecaster for the Skyline region. I would really like to update that accident report. I have spoken with a local who was there that day but I would love to hear from anyone else. It seems like a disservice to have such a limited report on an accident that obviously touched so many people. Let me know what you folks think.

Brett Kobernik
Utah Avalanche Center
Spring City, UT

Hi Brett!
I was part of the group that day. I would be happy to talk with you anytime.
Kim Reid
801-554-1279
kreidpt@hotmail.com

4funxs

Lifetime Membership
May 1, 2010
UT
I Could have been there

It's been a long time (13 YEARS), I am a Snowest Lurker! I read through this thread at least annually. At the time of this trip, I was one of many that received an invitation. I don't remember the reason, but last minute I was unable to go. I remember hearing of an avalanche that day in the area, I followed closely the updates. My heart was sick then, I remember feeling for those that were there. After the return of a mutual friend that was there, I heard the story. I knew that even not being there that I would change the way I ride. At that time I rode with friends and then family rides, I stepped back to just family rides. My kids then were 13 and 14, they held me to smarter choices of terrain. They are now grown and we still ride together, now with in-laws. We take an avalanche awareness class every year, have all the correct gear, practice and discuss the what if scenarios. I have a great appreciation to Dave, this group and those that have helped me be smarter. So as a reminder, Ride Safe, return home to those you love!

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Dang it's been almost 20 years. I never met him, but I remember him well from these forums back when this place was 1000x better than it is now (before the paid memberships and all the ads). I used to have one of the stickers on my helmet, but that helmet aged out and was replaced years ago.

Premium Features