• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fabcraft trailing arm maintenance

P
Nov 27, 2007
Getting my '02 RMK ready for a trip and found a carbon fiber trailing arm that was cracked. Needless to say I will be doing some preventative maintenance on them every spring from here on out.

The bold was litterally fused in place from rust, etc. Once I had that drilled out the arm was fused into the weld-mate. Had to take a torch to it and beat it into submision with a rubber hammer. I always take a spare arm with on the trips but would not have wanted to attempt this repair without my full array of shop tools...

Honed out the weld-mate and used a liberal amount of anti-sieze to the arm and new bolt.

Hope I can save someone else a frustrating repair.

PCar

S
Nov 27, 2007
Prince George
I BROKE MINE AND COULD NOT FIND A REPLACEMENT SHAFT ANYWHERE. I HAD A B*TCH OF A TIME GETTING THE OLD ONE OUT ALSO. LOTS AND LOTS OF HEAT, AND A PIPE WRENCH. JUST STARTED TURNING IT AND EVENTUALLY IT THREADED OUT LIKE A BOLT. FOUND SOME CHROMOLLY THAT WAS ROUGHLY THE SAME SIDE AND LATHED IT DOWN TO FINT NICE INSIDE THE HEAD. JUST WELDED IT UP AND GOT IT POWDERCOATED.
stevemear

stevemear

Premium Features