• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 700 RMK Fuel Issue

K
I recently purchased an 06 rmk 700 w/ 151" track. I don't know any prior history of the sled but it wouldn't start when I picked it up. Dumped a little gas down the plugs and it fired up ran for a few seconds and died. I pushed the little needle on the rail and a couple small drips came out but then nothing else. I popped the fuel filter bottom off and tried to blow through it but I couldn't. On these sleds should I be able to blow back through the tank or no? I'm going to try the fuel pump prime tonight and see if that fixes anything. The sled does have a battery though so I'm not sure if that means trying the fuel prime is pointless. When I had the fuel filter disconnected I turned the electric start a couple times and no gas came out.

If thing had a carb on it I would have it running the first day but I'm not a master of all the electronic components yet.

Is there a fuel relay on these things somewhere that would cause the pump not to kick on? Or a ground that only controls the fuel pump? I don't hear the pump running at all and I'm assuming these pumps are high enough volume that you can hear them running when they kick on.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Moved to the 900 Forum... the 20016 700's were just a smaller version of the 2006 900's.

Lots of reading to do on here for that sled... Hang out a while and take the time to take it all in.... Almost everything for the 900's applies to the 700's.

Disconnect the outlet end of the filter push a tight fitting piece of hose onto it and put the end of the hose into a container...

Hook up to the fuel pump prime connection to a 12volt supply and check for fuel flow...

No fuel pump relay separate... it's built into the ECU.

You would not be able to blow back through either of the fuel ports.

K
Thanks for moving it. I know the 900's and these are basically identical. I've got an 07 600 ho so I'm familiar with the chassis.

Is the fuel primer a straight wire to the pump or is it ran through the ecu? Trying to pinpoint the problem with the sled and have a few ideas for tonight. If pump circulates with primer being hot wired in but not when disconnected is that a symptom of a bad ecu? I tested volts on the red hot wire at fuel pump connector and it was getting power but never heard it kick on.

Oh and do you know of a wiring diagram link that works? I tried all the ones I could find in the how to and had no luck.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Power comes straight from the Regulator.... Pin 4, red wire... If you ground the chassis to your battery.. and apply power to the red wire with it unplugged from the regulator... then the fuel pump should run...

If it runs with the prime wire...and not with the regulator wire... You have a bad harness.

To get to these parts, you need to pull the seat and fuel tank....not too bad...

DO NOT tug or pull on any of the wires... they don't hold up to that.

If the fuel pump runs from the regulator wire (red)...Then you could have a bad regulator or bad stator.

The fuel pump will run constantly (as it should) if you apply power to the prime wire.
You will hear it.

Does the Fuel pump run constanlty with the prime 12V?

If it runs... Does it deliver fuel with the fuel filter disconnected?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
If it does not run from the prime connector or the regulator connector... Try directly at the fuel pump.

Red Power to the pump
Brown, ground
violet/white fuel gauge signal
Brown fuel gauge ground.

If it runs at the fuel pump connector... check your grounds.

The ground is at the footwell area near the clutch... big ring terminal with brown wires... make sure it is connected and clean and tight.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
If it runs and you don't get fuel out of the hose... good chance the lines inside the tank are rotten or broken.

if the short hard plastic tube in front of the fuel pressure regulator is cracked... it will not build pressure to run the injectors...

The 2006 is unique in that it runs 116 PSI fuel rail pressure, where others run 58.

If the pump runs... and delivers fuel with the prime connected... then you will need to check the fuel pressure... rent a tester or buy one.

K
If it runs and you don't get fuel out of the hose... good chance the lines inside the tank are rotten or broken.

if the short hard plastic tube in front of the fuel pressure regulator is cracked... it will not build pressure to run the injectors...

The 2006 is unique in that it runs 116 PSI fuel rail pressure, where others run 58.

If the pump runs... and delivers fuel with the prime connected... then you will need to check the fuel pressure... rent a tester or buy one.

How much gas should come out? I let the prime run for about 30 seconds and only a few drops came out. Pump makes a faint hum but I'm assuming that's normal at this point?

Can I pull the other end of the fuel filter at the tank and attach a hose to rule out plugged filter?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Thats the thing to do...Disconnect it at the tank outlet... and test for low

A faint hum... not so good... but do check the flow without the filter into a bucket... it should be moving some serious fuel.

At this point also... try connecting 12v DIRECTLY to the connection at the pump... to rule out faulty wiring/grounds.

Last edited:
K
Went back out and hooked a hose straight to the tank and couldn't get the pump to run off the regular connector. Tried going back to the prime and nothing there either. Hooked up the tester light to both the prime plug when wired to a battery and the red wire for the main connection and both were getting power. What are the odds the pump took a complete crap while I was screwing with it? I unbolted the tank to pull it off tomorrow and test the pump directly. If the fuel pump is crap is there an aftermarket one you can replace it with rather then the whole assembly?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The hoses to the pump could have split or deteriorated...

How much gas is in the tank?

At this point... YES... Pull the tank and carefully pull the fuel pump flange/hose/pickup assembly out. Test it directly.

Nothing that I've seen aftermarket... the 2005/2006 used an Airtex pump ... the later models used a Walbro pump.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
this can happen.

attachment.php

K
Plenty on EBAY... Make sure you ONLY buy a 2006 assembly... no mater what someone says...the 2006 is different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161649858032

I know the 06 runs a different psi. Will a fuel pump setup from an 06 switchback work?

When I completely pull the tank tonight, assuming all the hoses in the tank look good should I be testing with the two wires running straight off the fuel pump? The reason I ask is I swear looking down the filler neck that they are completely different colors then the power lines running to the harness.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yes, certainly test directly.... and then if it works at the pump... work backwards towards the harness to find the problem.

If the pump doesn't work with a direct connection... time to replace it.

Yes... the pump from a 2006 SB will work.

Also... after you have figured this out... Run the prime to clear the line... then the filter... then the return line... so that you clear out any "gunk" in the fuel lines.

If that sled has been sitting for years... IMO... send all four injectors in to Witchunter performance to have them cleaned and flow checked.... not worth burning down the engine or suffering through poor performance issues because the injectors are not working properly.

Last edited:
K
Got it running. The lines in the tank were all gunked up. Let it cycle for a minute off the sled, hooked everything back together and it fired right up. I'll have to put everything back together tomorrow then run it up on the stand to test it out. It's starting so that's a start. Every pun intended...

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Yes, certainly test directly.... and then if it works at the pump... work backwards towards the harness to find the problem.

If the pump doesn't work with a direct connection... time to replace it.

Yes... the pump from a 2006 SB will work.

Also... after you have figured this out... Run the prime to clear the line... then the filter... then the return line... so that you clear out any "gunk" in the fuel lines.

If that sled has been sitting for years... IMO... send all four injectors in to Witchunter performance to have them cleaned and flow checked.... not worth burning down the engine or suffering through poor performance issues because the injectors are not working properly.

Yeah I know all about the injectors clogging and leaning them out, check out the pic I just put on FB Eric LOL

K
Ok all put together and it runs good except it's flashing check engine 3x for an air intake issue. I didn't find any problem s with the wiring so I'm guessing the sensor took a crap. Is there a way to bypass that sensor? Also it went in to reverse when it first fired up but now won't switch. Are these two separate issues or will the check engine light restrict that?

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
I was wondering if you ran ethanol fuel through your 900 and that is what fowled up the fuel lines? I have been dealing with ethanol related problems on chainsaw, Seadoo and box trucks over the last couple of months.

Premium Features