• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooling system help!

R
Sep 22, 2011
2007 rmk 600 h.o. new 660 kit installed slp pipe

sled will not heat up past 80 degrees. brand new top end... gaskets... thermostat... sled will warm up into the 120's if i let it run in reverse... (not pushing coolant) as soon as i take it our of reverse the temps rapidly drop to 80 again...

heat exchange in tunnel is warm... coolant is somehow circulating free???

R
Sep 22, 2011
i just put a new thermostat in last night..... also temp sending unit warms up and measures temp fine... it came up to temp when the sled sat and idled in reverse....

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Sometimes, even new parts are defective. Try pulling the thermostat out, as was mentioned and see what it does. I wouldnt suggest running it like that permanently, however.

R
Sep 22, 2011
incorrect... it is def not set to C.... it shows F. also in reverse it showed it warmed up to 120's no problem...

new thermostat is working properly around 120 degrees.

tunnel changers are getting warm.... res bottle is warm... so there actual coolant temp must be getting above 120 to circulate completely

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Who's 660 kit are you running? Is this a carb'd 600?

Have you tried cracking the bleeder open on top of the thermostat housing?

Is it possible the t-stat is upside down?

Could you take some pics of your cooling system hoses? Some of the 07's had the front cooler and some kits removed it and re-routed the hoses.

R
Sep 22, 2011
Who's 660 kit are you running? Is this a carb'd 600?

Have you tried cracking the bleeder open on top of the thermostat housing?

Is it possible the t-stat is upside down?

Could you take some pics of your cooling system hoses? Some of the 07's had the front cooler and some kits removed it and re-routed the hoses.

660 is a hybrid... essentially its the carls kit. I have connections and just had the work done through the cyl people instead of using carls as a middle man.

it is a carbed 600 h.o. motor 2007 rmk. i didn't crack the bleeder... elevated the front... also figured if there was an air pocket there the sled would be overheating and the changers wouldn't get warm.

t-stat is spring side down... and also the bridge is turned the right direction. new gasket around t-stat as well.

I can take some pics of the hoses tonight.

R
Sep 22, 2011
Ding ding ding..... temp problem is in fact the temp sensor.... previous owner had the wrong temp sensor in with an extra washer because it was to long... when I reinstalled the sensor by the book with one washer it wrecked the tip of the sensor .... sled ran much bettter... back to rejetting it properly. . Still looks rich.. and havent ruled out burning of coolant.. but ran much better

Premium Features