• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Garrett 3071 vs 3076

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
I am running a 3071 external gate .64 housing on an 800. I have the tial wastegate on the center section per Gus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Project Update

Progress, I have about 10 hours into this so far. Starting to get to the little stuff and things that I am not to sure about so it will go much slower for the last 20 hours. :)

Thanks to Shain for his phone help and craftsmanship in the parts.

Thunder

DSC03264.jpg DSC03266.jpg DSC03285.jpg DSC03295.jpg DSC03260.jpg DSC03251.jpg DSC03291.jpg

G
Apr 23, 2008
Dude,, your engine is in backwards..

OOOPS.. its a CAT,, their all backwards..lol

Nice stuff Arctic Thunder. Clean welds too Stanger.

Have fun , take your time and you wont have any regrets.

Gus

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
One thing I am going to try and do is a simple line diagram for the lube system, water, electrical, fuel, and controls.

that is by far the most confusing part of the project so far. I have 20 feet of hose and not to sure where it all goes. (I have a couple kits installed in the area that I can look at but) something Shain might want as part of his install instructions when I am done.

Thunder

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
This is one mod IMO that is must do, tunnel dump.

Why is this a "must do"? Understood it is quieter I am sure. But from a performance stand point is it different. I know people have more ice build up issues with the tunnel dump exhaust. So until I hear a solid reason that proves it is better I have one opinion that says it isn't. So....

Thunder

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Why is this a "must do"? Understood it is quieter I am sure. But from a performance stand point is it different. I know people have more ice build up issues with the tunnel dump exhaust. So until I hear a solid reason that proves it is better I have one opinion that says it isn't. So....

Thunder

They dont clog or pack shut. I think most designs have minimal anyways but on that 4' day is makes a big difference. With the exception of hard pack, it makes a TM8 sound like less then a stock sled

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Mine was a full 3" so not like others, if anything it spooled to easy going down the trail. But when you go to make those slow moving down hill sidehill attempts and lay it on the side panel, no go. That is the hole reason I changed mine. I don't like bogs.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
More Pictures

Couple things on this kit.

1. the location of the oil supply line going to the pump will not work. It is WAY to tight and close to the recoil cover. I had to cut out the bracket that I had and then I just split a piece of hose and put it over the supply line to keep it from rubbing a hole in it.

2. Having a tough time finding the right tubing and clamps for the boost controller. the controller has pretty small nipples and the fitting on the Waste Gate controller is much bigger, and then the fitting on the blow off valve is a bit smaller. None of them are the same size. It is also the Rboost controller so you have to turn the fitting inside the tubing to make an adjustment. So I guess the tubing has to fit pretty good on the little controller to keep from sliding off or I will have to loosen the clamps every time I want to adjust it.

3. I will suggest to Shain that he add in his instructions to prime the fuel pump with a 12v battery. Much easier than pulling your guts out, and wearing out the recoil starter.

4. Very nice kit. Again well thought out. A few more details would be cool, but if the sled is sitting in front of you it comes together pretty easy.

5. how are you supposed to hold the turbo onto the oil reservoir? I would think hopping down a trail it could jump out of the reservoir housing. Should it have a spring to on the bottom of the turbo to the reservoir/mount?

Anyone using the insulated cover for the turbo and pipe?

Got the sled started tonight. Still need to ensure the oil pump is primed and ready. (I have the turbo locked down so it won't spin)

Other than a few little things I am getting close.

Thunder

DSC03293.jpg DSC03300.jpg DSC03303.jpg DSC03301.jpg DSC03305.jpg DSC03309.jpg DSC03312.jpg

W
Sep 23, 2008
Morgan, Utah
I spring the turbo down to the bulk head...Keeps oil from finding its way out between the nipple and the oil tank.... It helps hold everything in place a little better. I link two springs together and use the bottom bolt on the exhaust with a spring tab and go to one of the existing holes in the bulk head.... Works nice.....

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I spring the turbo down to the bulk head...Keeps oil from finding its way out between the nipple and the oil tank.... It helps hold everything in place a little better. I link two springs together and use the bottom bolt on the exhaust with a spring tab and go to one of the existing holes in the bulk head.... Works nice.....

Yep, I did that tonight. worked out real nice. Thanks

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
You know one thing that surprised me is the "very small" amount of oil that comes out of the oil pump to feed the turbo. Like one drop every second or so at idle. hmmmm doesn't sound like much to me. But that is what all of these kits rely on and I haven't heard of any bearing failures. So....

Pin it to win it I guess.

Thunder

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Who makes the turbo cover ?

Shain Stanger had a guy close to him build it.

I asked Shain when I purchased the kit "what is ONE thing that you would do in addition to your kit" His answer, "get this insulated turbo/exhaust cover" He said it will improve the trail/deep powder/climbing tuning. It will hold the heat in the exhaust better and keep it running more consistant. Will see?

I like it because it will eliminate the need for six more miles of heat tape.

Thunder

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
So I am upgrading from a 3071 to 3076 full size garrett with a 1.06 tial housing..
My question is: is the 1.06 too big for a m1000 with linderman ported cylinders? Should I order a .82 tial housing?

Last edited:
Premium Features