• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to afr gauge- need #'s for twisted Extreme

J

jensen

Feb 27, 2008
Casper, Wyoming
av8er, I will post my numbers tomorrow. I run the exact same kit, and the exact same sled. I run a little higher elevation, but that will only be a 1/2
to 1 point on fuel. and absolutely for sure the red is off,which is .5

I can tell you for sure that your G/B is too high. What is your A/F reading at wide open throttle?

I am a thousand miles from my sled at the present moment.

If his fuel pressure is too low then that will not be too high. And if he runs too long at wfo then he will burn down

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
My old turbo had EGT's this one only has AFR

I haven't touched fuel pressure, running straight avgas at 8.5-9 lbs of boost, not sure gauge is hard to read, and I'm usually trying not to run into anything under that kind of boost, with blue green sled ran ok, was showing about 12.2-3 at WOT, but was running poor coming down the hill, I did not turn off sled and let Box recalibrate which Shain recommended yesterday on the phone, Do not want to burn this thing down. on the trail going up the Mtn . I saw 16, 17 and all dashed lines which is bad, very bad

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
is your red off, or where is it set Kneez says his is 1.5, Stainger told me to turn red off[/QUOTE

Dude I never told you to turn the red to my settings, you asked where my numbers are set to and I told you. I also told you in a pm if shane told you to leave it off then I would leave it off. Tuning is not real hard, no ones #'s are a sure bet. Best is to run it with shanes recommended base settings, the start adding more fuel to the problem area, if it gets worse, take fuel away. Could be bad reeds, bad sensor, etc. When you see those high numbers check your plugs and piston wash through the power valves.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Knzee- dude, I wasn't bashing you Bro

i was surprised to see your 1.5 red, but yes indeed you sent me a pm explaining your setup , and I thank u for that very much!!!!

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
Av8er,
My numbers are.
G-1.5
Y-1.5
R-.5
G/B-4.5 @ 9lbs 10,500 to 12,500'
R/B-7.5

At your altitude I would run 9lbs max on 100ll
This info is based on the fact that you already know for sure your sled is
set at 8.5 to 9 lbs of boost. When you are done tuning this weekend it will either be 8.5 OR 9lbs.

So, you are going to tune your sled to the existing boost setting by
finding a hill that you can make a 5 second pull on with no distractions,
such as trees and rocks.

1. Make sure fuel pressure is set at EXACTLY 40 psi at idle.
2. Make a short pull to make sure fuel pressure is rising as sled is
coming up on boost. Should be 1 to 1.
40 psi at idle 9lbs boost. 40psi plus 9lbs=49 psi at full boost.
3. Make a wot pull looking at A/F gauge only. Tune sled from
11.8 to 12.2 A/F reading. My box gives .04 to .05 up or down, on the A/F gauge per 1/2 point of fuel added or taken away.
4. Make a WOT pull looking at boost gauge, making sure you are going to full boost. Remember we only tune to WOT, and full boost on G/B.

Make small adjustments. If you are raising or lowering boost do so at 1/4
turn at a time on controller so you are not guessing on fuel. All of the cats
seem to have the hot spot a mid to 3/4 throttle. make sure you vary throttle
thru this range on trail. honestly the only time I ever pay attention to my A/F
gauge is when I am boosting, and the occasional look down to make sure it is still working.

Once you have the G/B number for the area you are riding it should not change as long as fuel pressure doesn't change.

I would start with the G/B at 4.5 to be safe. 4.5 should be rich. Technically you should be in the 3.5-4 range. The numbers do not vary that much.
Mine are:
G/B-10,500 to 12,500=4.5
G/B-9,750 to 10,500=4.0
G/B-9,000 to 9,750=3.5

So, 1 point of fuel in 3500' feet of elevation. These numbers have never
changed since day one.

Take your time, small moves, and you wil get it figured out. If I missed something give a shout out. Been a 18 hour day.

Hope this helps;
John

once you get your sled tuned to the boost you are set at now, it is super simple to move boost around.
Get this method figured out and we will move to tuning with boost controller.
One more Thing, You are tuning with G/B only. If this method does not work I
would get sled back home safely and start looking for other issues.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
FYI, I tried other setting in the Y setting and 1.5 was the only setting in the Y that seemed to work, if I raise it to 2 it bogged bad, down to 1 it wasn't bad but not as good.

It will never run great down the trail unless wot, If it start running rich let completely off the throttle, what happens is it builds boost and starts running off the boost fuel and runs rich, you can look at your box and see if the G/B is on and that will tell you. I had to let off the throttle completely (almost push it shut) to get it out of the G/B and it would clear up instantly.

Running 100% av gas is to much and going to screw with the sensor, I was running 4gal or less a tank with 91 @ 8-10lbs, and it ran way better (more snap) If by chance its not enough octane the det sensor will let you know ( it will feel like it bogs in the mid range) if it does you just turn it down a touch.

BTW, huge gains with MDS weight and this turbo kit.

and massive control with a kmod.

Do you ever ride down this way.

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
Yes, mine does. Right or wrong I only pay attention to my A/F at full boost
only. My sled gets run very hard and absolutely zero issues. That is how shain has the box set up and that is how I run it no changes.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
fuel pressure is set at 41 at idle

at lunch set at 1.5 green, 1.5 yellow, g/b at 5, red/blue at 7.5 and will adjust accordingly, may turn boost down to about 8.5 for lower elevation. hopefully will run good .

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
I hope it goes well for ya.

One more thing. I have never ran anything in my sled but Boost Juice at 3oz.
per gallon of non ethanol 91. I personally love the stuff. Was going to try 112
, but got screwed on purchase.

Last edited:

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
on my twisted m1 attitude box it has a yellow or amber color with blue setting, I now understand the rest of the settings but not this one? Whats your guys' info on this?

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
The yellow/blue mode controls how fast the yellow mode kicks in. We
do not have that mode on our m8 sleds. To go any further you should call shain.

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I didn't get a chance to go ride it this weekend

I'll have to wait until next weekend to test her out, thank You for the help!

Premium Features