• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track speed gearing and clutching debate.

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
stock gearing for a M8 with a 162 is 74mph
I geared my CPC to 104mph works excellent

The stock gears will top out around 90-100 mph if a guy could go that fast. The lower gear set will top out around 75-80 mph. Just looking for a better mechanical advantage to spin the 162 in the snow a little more efficiently and hopefuly get a few more MPH out of her in the process. At the very least it is easier on the belt and I can take a marker, draw a line on the sheaves and play with the tortional secondary to dial it back in on the mountain. In the spring time when the snow is set up, I will most likely go back to my stock gearing.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Track Speed is King

As far as I can tell the track speed determines how much snow the machine moves and the more snow that is moved the better for climbing, sidehilling, deep powder and all the rest.

Also observed is that most all stock machines do not have enough clearance between the tunnel and the track which slows down the track because the snow is not able to pass through the limited space.

The turbo motors should have plenty of power to generate huge track speeds but based on the reported track speeds it this thread the sleds will need to have more clearance between the tunnel and the track to achieve outstanding track speed in the neighborhood of 70 to 100 mph.

Just my $.02

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I'm glad that opinion is yours, it makes no sense. How is the track going to pick up more snow than the lugs can handle. Also the PC is design specifically to no pull the snow through but pack it under the track. This thread has nothing to do with how far we go or whos got the most track speed, its just talk and food for thought as there are way to many variables. If track speed was king my piped m1000 would rock the TM8, and the TM8 stomps the m1000.

Last edited:
T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Agreed. Everyone can understand more track speed is better than less but there are too many variables to really compare. I think all we were trying to do was put some numbers up there

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I agree. Too much track speed and not enough traction can result in less ground speed. Camo extreme time!

compound 1300

Premium Member
Mar 15, 2010
zortman montana
elevation 9000 (cooke city) 12 to 14 pounds of boost, 09 M-8 153 power claw, Cutler stage III burning 110 race fuel. track speed of 60 to 65 in dry pow, in wet heavy snow 50 to 55. i have found at times with a short track high track speed will work aginst you.

M

m8lovin

Aug 29, 2010
vernon bc
07 m8 stock 153 challenger. Twisted kit running 9.5# @ 6500' on 100ll. mellow hill in about 2.5' of pretty heavy powder i was seeing around 54-55 mph.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Did some playing today. Right on 6psi, tuned decent, new primary clutch due to spider rollers ****ting the bed, some rear suspension tweaks to work on the wheelie situation, was getting 48 most of the day, some spots 50. Pretty setup powder, but slow ground speed, letting it dig. Not sure what to attribute the mph gain, but I'm guessing a good working primary? Either way the sled was rippin today, sun was shining, and I was smiling!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
looked this weekend, forgot to check before turning it up a bit, but..

11psi,
10,500-11,500 feet
3 gal AVgas 7-8 gal 91.
CF800 with 141PC
cutler stage II

I looked twice on small pulls in rather loose snow, first time down lower was 68 second time was 65 about 1000 feet higher. I didn't get a long look, so I may not be seeing some fluctuation, but two speeds that are pretty close I guess are worth reporting.

I'll have it as 13-14 psi next weekend, we'll see how that compares.

Keep in mind, it's a 141, I would HOPE I'd have way more track speed... I need it to keep up with a longer sled!

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
I'm glad that opinion is yours, it makes no sense. How is the track going to pick up more snow than the lugs can handle. Also the PC is design specifically to no pull the snow through but pack it under the track. This thread has nothing to do with how far we go or whos got the most track speed, its just talk and food for thought as there are way to many variables. If track speed was king my piped m1000 would rock the TM8, and the TM8 stomps the m1000.

I respectfully disagree. While there are MANY variables such as weight, approach angle, track length, suspension etc., track speed does make a BIG difference. Take identical M8 153s. Put a turbo on one. What makes this sled climb higher or stay on top of the snow better???? Track speed. More track speed results in the displacement of snow in the opposite direction in which the sled will travel. The inertia caused by the said displacement of snow is what propells the sled. Same as a mud buggy in the mud pit.

Not to start an argument, and no bash intended, but track speed IS paramount in keeping a sled on top and up over.:face-icon-small-hap

Sam

Y

youd47

Nov 27, 2007
Stanford, MT
I respectfully disagree. While there are MANY variables such as weight, approach angle, track length, suspension etc., track speed does make a BIG difference. Take identical M8 153s. Put a turbo on one. What makes this sled climb higher or stay on top of the snow better???? Track speed. More track speed results in the displacement of snow in the opposite direction in which the sled will travel. The inertia caused by the said displacement of snow is what propells the sled. Same as a mud buggy in the mud pit.

Not to start an argument, and no bash intended, but track speed IS paramount in keeping a sled on top and up over.:face-icon-small-hap

Sam

I'd almost have to disagree with you. There seems to be something that doesn't make sense. I suppose it only common sense that your T1200 with 95 mph track speeed will beat something with 55 mph. But with the TM8 it doesn't make sense. More than once I've had someone agrue with me when they ask what the turbo makes for track speed. Mine pull 49-55 when working hard. I hear "my stock sled makes that". As everyone turboed knows, theres no comparison to a NA sled to the turbo.

I wish someone could explain why a stock M1000 with 50 mph track speed will get blown out by a TM8 with 50 mph track speed.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Maybe you should re read the thread, My piped m1000 makes more track speed (47mph) but my T-HCR (42mph) stomps the piss out of it. If the snow is shoved out to fast you will have nothing left get traction on, the design of the power claw is to pack the snow under the track and grab traction. Now if a track hooks up harder than another track it will also drop track speed. The only way you can judge track speed is to use the same sled, same day, everything the same and change something and get a different result, then you have something to speak of, But even if someone had a sled setup identical to mine you still could not say it was a perfect judge, maybe close but not comparable, there are just to many variable.

Now one more time, This thread is not about performance, or comparison, or what ever, its just out of curiosity to maybe understand different aspects of how these turbo'd sleds work. Don't argue with it just listen and think (don't over think it either).

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
No overthinking. It's physics gents. What do you think is the force that propels the sled?? Now obviously this does not apply to a sled on hard pack. Only deep snow. The velocity of the snow that is "moved" in one direction, ie track speed, results in higher momentum the other direction. I have 2 M8s. Only difference, one has an OVS tial turbo. The other is NA. What causes the turboed sled with higher track speed to attain a high mark, or enable it to go much farther on a DEEP day? Track speed. The inertia created by snow that is propelled by the track is much higher, in turn creating a forward speed that is greater. This allows the sled to get on top of the snow instead of plowing through it. I HAVE done these comparisons. Same day. Same results. More track speed equates to a more effecient end result, HIGH MARK.:face-icon-small-hap

BTW, comparing the M1000 and the M8 is like comparing apples and oranges. I see your point, and I believe we may just be looking at things from a different perspective, possibly just arguing semantics. But bottom line, track speed IS very relevant when discussing a sleds performance ability.

Sam

Last edited:
J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
No overthinking. It's physics gents. What do you think is the force that propels the sled?? Now obviously this does not apply to a sled on hard pack. Only deep snow. The velocity of the snow that is "moved" in one direction, ie track speed, results in higher momentum the other direction. I have 2 M8s. Only difference, one has an OVS tial turbo. The other is NA. What causes the turboed sled with higher track speed to attain a high mark, or enable it to go much farther on a DEEP day? Track speed. The inertia created by snow that is propelled by the track is much higher, in turn creating a forward speed that is greater. This allows the sled to get on top of the snow instead of plowing through it. I HAVE done these comparisons. Same day. Same results. More track speed equates to a more effecient end result, HIGH MARK.:face-icon-small-hap

BTW, comparing the M1000 and the M8 is like comparing apples and oranges. I see your point, and I believe we may just be looking at things from a different perspective, possibly just argunig semantics. But bottom line, track speed IS very relevant when discussing a sleds performance ability.

Sam

This is true given you are using the same length, height and design of tracks. Give me a 1" paddle and I will show you more track speed than you can shake a fist at but, it is not going to get me far.

As for my track speeds.

TM1000
9lbs boost on Av at 9000' in bottomless pow this weekend was turning low 60's.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Lower gears in a cvt system is a fallacy, The whole purpose of the clutching is to go from 0 gear ratio to 1:1, and these I think go to a 8:1 after that in the last 1/4" of the sheave. The only positive effect you "might" have is getting the belt closer to a 1:1 ratio. It has far more to do with geometry and the physics of the clutching then it does the gearing. The key is to apply as much upshift as possible as fast as possible, then once it gets to the final shift for the power, you want the clutching in a stage to keep it there, ie the weights, springs and helix pulling it as hard as possible in that gear.
If you ever got to a 1:1 once you go past its a loss in a hurry, and anywhere up to a 1:1 the only factor is to keep the belt from slipping and if you can do that there is no point for lower gears. But lower gears will most likely help maintain speeds because there is less shift to be made while higher gear will see the higher track speeds but could bounce around more. Or maybe I have no idea. Back to topic

A lot of this is true however if gearing was a fallacy we would be running no chain case or diamond drives.
The clutching you are referring to is in the clutching but, there are many more aspects to making those clutches even work. Mainly GEARING!
For fun pick the weakest sled you can find and stick the tallest gearing in it and see how it runs. Now change just the gearing one tooth lower and see how it runs. Keep trying and you will find what everyone that has ever tried really tuning clutches has found.....gearing has a huge impact on clutches. Wither it be by a gear reduction system(chain case, diamond drive, etc..) or size of drivers(7,8,9,10 tooth), they all have an impact on clutches.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Do you have a turbo sled or just arguing to learn something. The only reason for a gear case on big power sleds is to get the clutching off the ground. any sled running 1:1 gears you could eliminate the Gear case and attach it straight to the drive shaft (wouldn't that be cool, drop a bunch of weight and less rotating mass) that is If the drive shaft was high enough. I have seen people drop gears on m1000 and they think its the chit, but then I pull right with them or farther, but there belts might last longer. Your not going to pull overdrive gears in a M5 though, but trying to hit the perfect gear can only be done with perfect clutching and clutching has a far greater effect than gearing in these sleds. If you notice the AC sleds are all geared to hit the same speeds, the higher rpm sleds have lower gears and visa versa. To add the DD setup works on a load base performance, if you free it up with low gears to much it wont respond the same and you can loose performance of the shift.

Premium Features