• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any one buy a push turbo yet

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
Call Jeff at Dakota Performance he has some time on one and they have had a few on a Dyno in Belgrade MT. He is also a dealer for Push. 701-452-4212 I have personally seen a few installed and they look like a nice kit, there will be one on my sled sometime this winter also.. I was told 270hp at 13.8lbs at 5,000ft...

This was on an 09 M8 and I believe it had a prototype closed loop fuel controller as well.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think their kits look awesome but it would be pretty hard to choose it over the other kits that are tried and proven. Havn't heard of anyone that has run one. The website and pictures seem kind of disorganized to me. would love to hear from someone that has run them. The more kits in the mix the better off we are as consumers.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Ken has been in the game for a while, just not commercially selling kits. He has experimented with twin turbos and lots of other setups. His kit is solid. He is taking a different marketing approach than some of the dealers you see on here but I'm sure you will see more of his kits on the snow this year, he has gotten hooked up with some legit people in the business.

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
The push kit addresses all of the things I don't like about other manufacturers kits. I sat down and penciled out what I felt was the ideal turbo setup given my experiences with forced induction in the automotive world, and what I came up with is pretty damn close to what they build.

I wanted water/meth injection, a v band housing, and an external wastegate. Anything else is well...... less.

Cutler has nicer brackets, ovs has a nicer plenum, but their overall philosophy appears to be the most technically sound and I would be surprised to see the kit not work well.

That said, I'm still going to build my own because there are a few things that I still want to address ;)

G
Apr 23, 2008
Nicely thought out set up, looks like it will be another good option for those who wish to shop.

have any of you guys seen the ATP prefabed wastegate housing for the ineternally gated garretts ??

It sure does address allot of the big issue with internal gates.
I've got one coming for my 800 with the 2876 for hill drags and ice drags.

I will post the results I have with it as soon as we have ice here in NH.

Gus.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
What are the benifits of the external waste gate and how does it get more hp per lb then a internal gate. It sure does look a lot more complicated and heavier.

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I haven't had my hands on one yet, I was of the impression that it was a good step from an internal gate, but probably not as good as just going to a Tial V band externally gated housing. Simplicity is beautiful though :)

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
I haven't had my hands on one yet, I was of the impression that it was a good step from an internal gate, but probably not as good as just going to a Tial V band externally gated housing. Simplicity is beautiful though :)

I have rode with Ken and have ridden his turbo's.. VERY NICE and CLEAN set-up and they run very well..

The install is very simple and the over-all "clean-ness" of his kits is second to none..

Very nice kit and , yes, there will be much more of them around this season.

Kelsey

V

vinnie

Nov 26, 2007
Mitchell,SD
Jeff is puttin 1 on my 08 1000 this week. I believe he tested them last year. I trust what ever Jeff likes & he's says works great!

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
What are the benifits of the external waste gate and how does it get more hp per lb then a internal gate. It sure does look a lot more complicated and heavier.

External wastegates allow you to run more effecient turbine housings. Problem with internal gated housings is you have the exhaust released from the internal gate mixing with the final exhaust of the turbo. This causes turbulance and backpressure. With a external wastegate you should seperate the two, meaning the external gate should have it's own dump tube seperate from the turbo final exhaust. That's one of the things about the push kit that could be improved. And on that kit the external wastegate is routed in on one of the worst spots imo. It's routed comming directly down on the final exhaust and the final exhaust is going horizonal. That is causing some serious turbulance and back pressure. Other then that it looks like a real nice kit. Other benefits of external gates is at higher boost pressure internal gates can't hold shut and your limited to how much boost you can run because of the internal gate creeping open. With a good external gate sky is the limit on how much boost you can run, but in the snowmobile world that really isn't a concern. Plus the extra cost of a external wastegate and the extra exhaust routing makes most stay away from it in the snowmobile world.

PUSH TURBO

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2008
waste gate location

Hi, I'm Ken. I am the owner and designer of all of the Push Turbo kits. I am not much of a computer guy so I don't blog very much but you can call me for any questions or concerns that you might have. I will try now to explain some of the questions that you had on the design of this kit. There are many reasons to run an external waste gate which you can read on my web site...Pushturbo.com. Click on news and articles. I will give a quick explaination here. #1 An external waste gate has a positive seal, meaning a valve seat. An internal does not so it bleeds at all boost levels causing slower spool up and poor on off throttle response. It does allow you to run a much more efficient exhaust housing such as the Tial stainless steel one that I use which in turn builds boost much faster and creates more horse power per pound of boost. Regarding the concern of the dump of the waste gate in the exhaust system...The Tial exhaust system has a 3 inch outlet to eliminate any chance of back pressure on even the longest exhaust systems. Dumping the exhaust from the waste gate into the 3 inch discharge causes no back pressure or any turbine wash as long as it is 3 1/2 inches or more from the V band flange. Placement of my valve is 4 1/2 plus inches and in such a location that the exhaust from the turbo creates a draft on the waste gate circuit. A nice plus! Placement of the waste gate... I get a LOT of questions on this so I will try to explain this and help everyone understand the reason. There are 2 ways to install the valve. The first way and most common is to place the valve anywhere after the manifold and before the turbo at a 90 degree angle to the pipe. In this position it only relieves pressure and causes some turbulance. The reason for installing the valve in this manner is because of space constraints and it's very simple. The second and the preferred way is to place it in a high pressure path and direct flow of the exhaust (it dosen't sound right on the surface does it) So I will explain. The waste gate controls the desired boost level. The valve is closed until you reach that pressure. When you reach that pressure the valve opens into itself allowing pressure and a large amount of exhaust to flow through the valve housing. When the valve opens it actually relieves turbulance in the pipe by eliminating the high pressure point in the exhaust system. Positioning the valve in this manner also allows me to run a smaller exhaust housing because not all of the exhaust is going through the turbo housing at wide open throttle promoting even faster turbo spooling. Placing the waste gate in this position is not an easy task. Along with having the dump from it go into the down pipe and meet the distance requirements and have some flexibility in the design so you don't have alignment issuses or stress points which will break welds and or pipe. I hope I answered your concerns or questions as I try to make sense of everything for all of you. Push Turbo only uses the best products that you can buy and impliments good sound engineering and practical design. I appreciate all of you talking about my products and design. This is how people learn and come to understand new products. If anyone has a concern or an idea to better my products please feel free to contact me at 651-303-3867. Also...Please feel free to post your questions and answers that you receive from me as this helps me get the information out to others so that they may understand my product better.
P.S. Next question: Charge tube size and injector location???

Thanks,
Ken PushTurbo

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
very nice kit with the tial turbine houseing, bov, and external gate. Every thing looks great.

Question? You said:
Positioning the valve in this manner also allows me to run a smaller exhaust housing because not all of the exhaust is going through the turbo housing at wide open throttle promoting even faster turbo spooling.

so are you useing the .64 ar turbine houseing instead of the .86ar turbine housing.

thank you
jeremy

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
I don't know what a/r he uses, but the tial is a t3 flanged and offers a .63 a/r and .82 a/r which is different then the t2 flanged turbine housings most people are used to with sleds. I would assume he uses the .63. A .63 t3 is larger then a .86 t2 flanged turbine housing.

Last edited:
Premium Features