• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 goggles vs Oakley goggles?

jhubs

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
I have always had oakley goggles, love the optics. Not very good for my ski doo snowcross helmet. I am looking at the 509 goggles. Does anyone have them, they look great for the wind protection but how are the lenses? They have multiple lense options, looking for something for low light conditions and flat light, also a good one for sunny days. thanks guys

J

John Peck

Jan 9, 2008
Pierre
I would get ahold of 03rmking. He sells the goggles and can tell you what kinda options there are for lenses. Between me and the ol lady we have 4 sets and we have no complaints. My glasses dont fog up like they use to with the Oakleys. Just my .02

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
I have always had oakley goggles, love the optics. Not very good for my ski doo snowcross helmet. I am looking at the 509 goggles. Does anyone have them, they look great for the wind protection but how are the lenses? They have multiple lense options, looking for something for low light conditions and flat light, also a good one for sunny days. thanks guys

509's ROCK!! Lens options are endless but I would recommend spending the extra $$ and get the Polarized Lenses. Those work great in all conditions.

other wise...
Blue for sunny days
Yellow for low light days
Clear for night

We sell and use the 509's so give us a call or check out our website.

www.sledsolutions.com

or

586-215-6849

D
Nov 26, 2007
Prior Lake, MN
Not to take anything away from either company but I used to be in the same boat as you. Always had Oakley and wanted to try something new, finally after talking to a million people I settled on SPY. I think they are the most under rated goggles in the snow industry!!!! By far the best decision I ever made and I will never switch to anything else!!!!!!

Not to take anything away from either company but I used to be in the same boat as you. Always had Oakley and wanted to try something new, finally after talking to a million people I settled on SPY. I think they are the most under rated goggles in the snow industry!!!! By far the best decision I ever made and I will never switch to anything else!!!!!!

X2!!! for spy i use the omega model

I
Nov 26, 2007
I use 509s with the dark polarized lens for bright days, oakleys crowbars with the high intensity yellow for low light.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
The second generation 509's (new last season) are great. The 1st generation were a little small and your face got cold, the 2nd generation had larger foam and made a big difference. Lots of lens choices and the fit inside of your helmet is great now!

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I thought the oakleys fogged less, and like their persimmon lens for AK flat light.

x2... the persimmon lens is the best I've used yet and I have 3 pairs of 509's with every lense available, in flat light nothing has worked as well as the oakley lens. I prefer the 509 frames over the crowbar but not the lens.

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Never tried the 509's but my best friend wears them and he swears by them.

I wear Oakley and carry 4 pairs with me depending on light conditions. I've never had a problem with any pair of Oakleys and I have 3 different frames all with different colored lens.

I'll be getting a pair of 509's this year to try them out.

:beer;

S
Jan 15, 2008
PNW
i've had mine for a season, i wear them dirtbiking too.

they are brilliant goggles. with the extra layers of foam, i don't feel any outside wind hitting bare skin on my face. the lens are strong and durable. i have a clear lens for those low light days and night riding. also have a chrome/yellow lens for the sunny days. think i'll pick up a blue lens for this winter.

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I had Oakleys as well, bought 509's and ended up buying two more pairs as well as half of my group. They are incredibly nice and you should try the polarized lenses.:beer;:D

Premium Features