• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

water to air intercooler

Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)
battery in line

another reason i wish electric start was an option on the M...screw the weight, these things rip:beer;

I found that electric start is an option on an M. Maybe not "offered" necessarily, but there are parts for it that can be ordered through any dealer. Kit contains everything from the switch to the wiring harness to the battery tray.

I was considering purchasing some of the parts for it to put on my 2005 M6/M7 to run my aux. fuel pump and other assorted goodies....

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I think using the return coolant from the tunnel would be more ideal. It may not be as cold as have a dedicated cooler, but anything would be a big help. It would be one less pump/ system. Plus it would expand coolant capacity to the system as a whole.

A dedicated system would be trick. Definetly would be possibly the most efficient. It seems sometimes less is more on a sled. But not always.

Garrett makes a core thats about 3"x4"x9" without tanks on it. Has the abilty to cool charge for 500hp according to garrett. For its size, it must be extremely efficent and have a very low pressure drop. If you were a welder or arranged it, you could have the end tanks/plenum made anyway you want.

I've never tested it, but i wouldn't be surprised to see return coolant from the tunnel in the 45-70 deg range. even if you can cool the intake charge from 150+ down to 80 F that would be a huge gain.

I dont think you would need to have the entire source plumbed through, Just Y or T it before the engine.

As long as its located below the fill/de-gas bottle you should be good to go. I doubt there would be much pressure drop in the cooling system. But it would be worth checking. It needs pressure on the coolant to help raise coolant boiling point.

I was kind of under the impression I was one of the few who pondered a Liquid to air cooler on sled. Glad i'm not the only one!
I kind of figured after watching TS8 the other nite that is what was on his 1200... Which ran absolutely stupid fast..... holy cow.... It looked faster than any of the 4 strokes.... :beer;

I love inovation.:D

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
Cooler

I agree with CBX in using coolant that's returning from the tunnel would be the easiest option, however would "Y'ing or T'ing" into the sleds cooling system allow for the flow that's required to absorb the heat from the cooler. Someone here has to have some flow dynamics background.
Unless the Water to Air Cooler is plumbed in series before the engine?

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I agree with CBX in using coolant that's returning from the tunnel would be the easiest option, however would "Y'ing or T'ing" into the sleds cooling system allow for the flow that's required to absorb the heat from the cooler. Someone here has to have some flow dynamics background.
Unless the Water to Air Cooler is plumbed in series before the engine?

I thought about that and agree. If you t or y the pipe what would happen when the t stat cycles . If i am not mistaken the t stat is the first stop for the cold coolant. In series would be best but that worried me about restriction.

I was planning on using the small line that goes to the compressor and running it to the cooler before it hits the turbo . But i think this is hot water out of the engine so it would be at 100 degrees before it gets to the cooler.

I worry about the fuel curve versus charge temp , i dont want to play with the box all day.

Good points one and all.:beer;

M

minecat

Nov 27, 2007
Winnemucca, Nevada
i think that it would have to be run in a series with the coolant system if it were T in the coolant is going to take the path of least resistance in which case the intercooler will not work properly or the engine will over heat one of the 2

S
Aug 20, 2008
North Idaho
C'mon guys, don't let this topic die out . . . I think this is by far the most efficient intercooler for a sled where there is little to no air flow. I like the idea of using the existing cooling system. when the snow strts to fly i would like to do some tests to see what kind of temps we can expect from coolant returning from the tunnel at different operating conditions. I am going to figure out how to make this work:beer;:beer;

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
I think there is a lot of r&d going on with this right now and lots of sealed lips i could not find any answers if it would work or not. I will post some pictures of my set up on a zx skidoo . Made a seperate cooler under the belly and water pump to a water to air intercooler from frozen boost. Just waiting for the turbo and then i will find a place for the intercooler. The water pump is a jabsco only draws 1.5 amps.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Had a chance to see Brad Story's M12T raffle sled that he rode in TS8 at the SLC expo. The water to air intercooler used a seperate dedicated heat exchanger. Pretty trick setup. Noticed the pure logic sticker on the CAC. I must say that Simmons, Story, and Pure logic build some amazing iron.

T
Shane Hart (HM turbo)been using the water/air intercooler for a few years, works awesome. I heard it was a 80-90 deg charge temp change. Will know for myself in a month.:beer; Search 'AK King Edition' for some good pics.

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
subman on here is running a a/w intercooler and shanes setup is sweet i like the seperate pump because there is an on off switch if you spring a leak your not stuck in the water by the way im buying my first turbo this weekend a used sled and im stoked about it

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
I too will be picking up a used TM-8 this week and am stoked aswell... Mine has the boondocker air to air I/C intercooler on it... I'm guessing the lagg is pretty noticable with these... I think the seperate coolant loop with a 50/50 water methanol mixture would work awesome... Someone at the start of this post had the idea of using the shaft that runs the water pump and oil injection to circulate the mixture... This sounds to me like a really good idea!!! I don't know exactly what the shaft looks like but I'm going to try to figure something out to make this happen!!:beer;

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
hm turbos is now offering the air/water cooler setups for sale now. depending on cost i would think the bullet style cooler listed earlier would work just as well

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
yeah its a nice kit but iam more of a do it yourselfer and $500 is better than $1300

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
from what i understand the parts are around 800 the rest is labor thats what i understood speaking with a few people on it

Premium Features