• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

water to air intercooler

Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)
M
Nov 26, 2007
Cranbrook B.C.
So with all the talks of intercoolers thought I'd ask if anyone has tried a water-air cooler.

everyone agrees that the air-air coolers work as long as you have air flow, well why not water-air then, you don't need air flow just a pump and small rad mounted at the back where it gets snow on it.

lets hear some thoughts.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
as stated above, the brad story auction sled has one on it....and i think Brad posted something about it will soon be offered in an OVS kit???

would love to know what he say for DP temps numbers acoss this thing....but lets all agree a 1200 turbo is not the most optimal boondocking sled....but should kick arse on a mean climb

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...d=220&osCsid=93416b1cd24ae654b2b90ff520fb2785 check that link to a bullet style water to air intercooler, its more like an intercooled charge tube as its the same diameter as your pipe. Pretty sweet, might work..

Great post:beer;

That thing is cute, and the 0.1 psi drop sounds like the ticket:beer;

MY thoughts,
- i guess most would simply hook it up to the sled cooling system
- why not run a tiny dirtbike 4 stoke cooler, just one side, not both sides as a stock dirtbike has and run this cooler just outside the hood??
- but how would you pump the coolent?...maybe the tiny BD turbo kit oil pump would work great?.....but im not sure of the current draw as i want my fuel pump to last longer then it has in the past :(

hummmmm

Last edited:
H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I think that an air to water would be sweet!! I also think water meth would do the job as well.

im guessing you are talking about methenal?.....that is a killer idea, most methenal wont freeze at lower temps and somewhat absorbs its surrounding temps more then water will. I use Methenal at work sometimes and this stuff you will make your burn your bare hands when the meth is in -20 weather for too long

Last edited:

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
M
Nov 26, 2007
Cranbrook B.C.
I've been throwing this idea around for awhile now just waiting to see if anyone else said anything. thought I'd share my idea and get some other input on this and see if I can make one that works. my big problem was finding a low power drawing pump. found a couple of very strong heat exchangers that could be used under the tunnel by the stock cooler, but I haven't found the right pump.

T
Dec 1, 2007
Lots of intercooler options in the high performance marine world, just a matter of finding one small enough but would be easy to adapt. What about a mechanical pump off the oil inj some how? Just a thought

K
Nov 26, 2007
Great post:beer;

That thing is cute, and the 0.1 psi drop sounds like the ticket:beer;

MY thoughts,
- i guess most would simply hook it up to the sled cooling system
- why not run a tiny dirtbike 4 stoke cooler, just one side, not both sides as a stock dirtbike has and run this cooler just outside the hood??
- but how would you pump the coolent?...maybe the tiny BD turbo kit oil pump would work great?.....but im not sure of the current draw as i want my fuel pump to last longer then it has in the past :(

hummmmm

Say a guy hooked this up to the sleds cooling system, would it cool the air enough to make it worth it. I would like to test it this winter.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Say a guy hooked this up to the sleds cooling system, would it cool the air enough to make it worth it. I would like to test it this winter.

Not sure….

Understand the coolant discharged from the turbo is very hot…so it would best to some how get the coolant from the discharge of the bumper area cooler….does not should like fun huh. You can get a small dirtbike cooler for cheap I think??…use the Boondocker oil pump if you still have it and are not using it???

K
Nov 26, 2007
so your saying run a small heat exchanger under the tunnel dedicated to the intercooler run off of the bd pump or any 12v pump. Ill try to mock one up and post pics.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
so your saying run a small heat exchanger under the tunnel dedicated to the intercooler run off of the bd pump or any 12v pump. Ill try to mock one up and post pics.

nope, im talking about a newer 4 sroke dirtbike cooler....just use one as these bikes come with two, i know acmtncat has a tiny cooler on his trials bike and im guessing its just a single cooler from a bike

this cooler is maybe 10" long, 4" wide, and 1" thick.....thats small and 90% of the unit is fins vs inlet and outlet chambers. Mount it anywhere outside the hood and it should get tons of cooling from the air temps and pow that hits it.....these are just my prelimanry thoughts, maybe someone else can lend an idea??

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
the biggest snag is finding a pump that the M series electrical system will run, finding a cooler and things like that is the easy part.

on this note,

anyone know how many 12VDC runs this M sled has? Or does it split the amp load? heck if i know....im saying this because i tend to think my pervious fuel pump failed early beacuase evrything was on the same 12V cicuit

I know some kits are seperating the fuel box/pump 12V supplies lines....this sould suggest the engine supplies more then 1 single 12V supply???

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Jabsco makes a good pump with low amp draw as well as Bosche lots of options out there the BD pump would not work at all because of the low flow as the GT turbo's don't need a large volume of oil to keep them happy.

Premium Features