• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 turbo

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Can anyone comment on a comparison between the Cutler M8 turbo system and the Boondocker. Any experiences would be appreciated.

IMHO, you can not beat BD for pump gas turbos. The reliability is second to none from what I have seen. They also pull really hard and run great on low boost. 6-7 lbs. It rips.

As for race gas, Cutlers looks like a really good designed and well built kit. Also they build great power.
It all comes down to what fuel you're looking to run, wether it be pump or race gas, you cant go wrong with either of these turbos.
my .02 cents!

Jay

T
Apr 16, 2009
Bozeman, MT
I have the boondocker kit on my m7 and i run pure premix race gas at 12.5lbs of boost. I'v never had a problem. It has amazing power and you can just turn the boost controller down and run pump gas or a 50/50 blend. The only thing different i did was put a smaller intercooler on because the one that comes with the kit is huge and heavy.

Last edited:
S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Is the lack of comments about the Cutler system because nobody runs them, and if not, why ?

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
the twisted turbo kits are too expensive, they are easily 1g us more than bd, and really whats different between the 2 or any turbo kit for that matter all components are basically the same with each using their own choice of electronics. i like the bd kits they are cheaper and have tries them on 4 different sled and they ran flawless. my .02

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
BD kits are less expensive because of lack of parts you have to buy afterwards.Twisted Kit includes clutching, all guages, and all side and hood venting. Go buy all this stuff afterward and you will more than find your 1000$.

Cutler turbo

I ran a Cutler race gas turbo on my M8 this year and loved it. The kit came with all the clutching and everything I needed. The support from Dale is worth it's weight in gold!! I had a question on where to put the attitude setting at 11K feet, after setting up the sled for riding mostly in the 8-9K. I had to leave a message for Dale, and I thought I would never hear from him and have to call back, but to my surprise he returned my call with in 20 minutes!! now that's service. The sled was super fun to ride, I would buy another one of his kits.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
BD kits are less expensive because of lack of parts you have to buy afterwards.Twisted Kit includes clutching, all guages, and all side and hood venting. Go buy all this stuff afterward and you will more than find your 1000$.

i dont have shares in bd but am giving my real world experience, and with all necessary pieces i guarantee its still cheaper, i dare people to go out and compare and post thir findings.

Yamaha24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
I ran a Cutler race gas turbo on my M8 this year and loved it. The kit came with all the clutching and everything I needed. The support from Dale is worth it's weight in gold!! I had a question on where to put the attitude setting at 11K feet, after setting up the sled for riding mostly in the 8-9K. I had to leave a message for Dale, and I thought I would never hear from him and have to call back, but to my surprise he returned my call with in 20 minutes!! now that's service. The sled was super fun to ride, I would buy another one of his kits.

what ^^^^ said own 2 culters kits and love them, I cannot speak for the BD never rode one.. Dale Cutlers customer service is second to none. Always there to answer questions.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
rode em all, got a BD, going to twisted this summer

IMO, you wont go wrong with twisted or Cutlers...but you will with BD, the kit they offers is less then optimal...i could list a few action items the BD folks need to offer before getting to the level of twisted or cutlets, but how really cares, ride what you ride......geezuz Krist these threads are getting old

Sidenote- Lighening800 is a pole smoker without a clue:beer;

W

wildchild

Jul 4, 2001
lumby
I never ran the cutlers but will give props to the twisted kit over the BD.

The BD comes with a entry level BOV ( turbosmart) the twisted kit is running the tial BOV. The turbosmart BOV leaks to much under boost compared to the tial.

The twisted turbo clutching they recommend is much more spot on then the BD kit.

I`m sure each kit is great and like the cutlers fresh air intake to lower the charge temps.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks this time next year. Not to knock any turbo company, but I think the days of the garage built turbo are going to be short lived. R&D for a couple of these company's is going to step the game up beyond what some of the competition can keep up with.

EDIT: Trust what you've seen in the field not the snowest hype you have heard. There is tons of good information on this site but there is an equal amount of bad information. I've tried a ton of different setups I've read about on here and only a couple have ever worked they way people claim they do. I was shopping for an airbox awhile back, everyone swore that a certain one was the best....well, 180 bones later I wish I had gone with my gut feeling b/c the airbox I bought was a complete POS. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I never ran the cutlers but will give props to the twisted kit over the BD.

The BD comes with a entry level BOV ( turbosmart) the twisted kit is running the tial BOV. The turbosmart BOV leaks to much under boost compared to the tial.

The twisted turbo clutching they recommend is much more spot on then the BD kit.

I`m sure each kit is great and like the cutlers fresh air intake to lower the charge temps.

If he is talking pump gas I don't think the Blow off Valve is an issue, The BD M8 pump gas kit doesn't have a BOV.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
The option of running straight pump gas at a bit less boost is what I'd prefer.

B
Aug 12, 2008
I compared the Cutler kit and the Boondocker kit before installing one on my 09 M8 last September. I ran the boondocker kit all year with only a broken reed pedal through the season of mountain riding.
The kit ran well all year. I ran from 6 lbs of boost to 11 pounds of boost when the conditions allowed. I stayed at a mix of 50% 114 pure purple all year to be safe.
I have to give Dale credit at Cutlers for the clutching help and his endless help while I was researching the kits. I do not think you can go wrong with either kit. Dale proves he provides service second to none.

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I think the next few years are going to be very good for force fed 2 strokes . I tend to support small business , since i am self employed and started with nothing . Mr Cutler has been in the Arctic Cat biz for a very long time . He was building bulkheads for ZRT's , back in the days of 136 mountian sleds .

I did not buy the BD kit because i dont like the idea of the intercooler . Why are they the only brand pushing that? I have never seen a CPC intercooler. I like simple and light weight . I guess i dont like to follow the crowd.:beer;

Premium Features