• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tire chains for the truck - Which style?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm in the market for a set of tire chains in 295/65/20 and appear to have a few choices as to the style of chain. They will be on my 15 F350 CCLB with sleds and a deck, sometimes a trailer in tow.

I have no experience with tire chains and am unsure which one I should be looking at. I'd be surprised if I'll use them twice a year and only for getting into/out of areas to sled. It's unlikely I will use them on the highway, but you never know.

Which set should I be looking at? I'm not interested in the cables.

Capture.JPG

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
I picked up a couple sets of these for my BFG AT ko2 LT275/65R18 on aftermarket wheels. They fit perfect for those. Have yet to need them just installed to check fit. If I remember correctly the Peerless website showed me actually needing the next size up. I cross referenced a lot of similar size tires and decided to go with the smaller chain set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQ466G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I could be wrong, but only really seen people use the v-bar for winter in a truck. We have used them on little Toyota's for hunting and they are amazing (compared to no chains). You would be very, very limited on speed for any type of on-road use

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I prefer the Diamond Back style chain you show in your diagram. There is a 2300 series and a 2500 series. The 2500 is a heavier duty version but works the same. They go on and off from the outside of the tire so you don't have to crawl under the dirty drippy truck.

I also run chain snuggers on these to keep them firm to the tire so they don't sling when you get up to speed. I have had to chain up on the highway before and they ride reasonably smooth and offer nice lateral traction to keep from skidding sideways and also allowing to turn.

I have run my share of ladder style chains which have more "pull" but for general use the newer style are easier and smoother.

http://lacledechain.com/product/alpine-sport-truck-suv-chains/

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
my experience is that when conditions are so poor that i need chains, i need the best traction i can get. i have had several types over the years and have found the v-type work best for me..:face-icon-small-hap

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Vbar

Another vote for vbar, take a beating and serious bite.
Also prefer the cam lock to put a real squeeze on the tire, protects fenders and rims better. Keeps the wife happy when I need to chain her duraburb up...
We haul 8 sleds with it, so weight can shred a weak chain pretty quick.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
Definitely the v-bar in my opinion. I would also add that with the F-350 I would get a chain that is as heavy duty as you can get. With the added weight of what is being pulled or hauled plus the weight of the diesel engine you can eat up standard duty chains really easily. Just my observations of 40 some odd years of being too stupid to know when to turn around. LOL
Good Luck in your choice.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Mine are made out of old lid truck chains. Not much clearance on mud flaps on my 16 Ford. I hear people brag about the square chains on the skid steers.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My source for chains is saying 3" of clearance is a good rule of thumb. I'm at 2" on the rears near the mudflaps. I'm already using Husky kickback flaps.

What are you guys running for clearance?

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
my experience is that when conditions are so poor that i need chains, i need the best traction i can get. i have had several types over the years and have found the v-type work best for me..:face-icon-small-hap
Completely agree. If I "need Chains" then I want the best traction possible.
I also carry a set that are easy on and off as stated above just to appease the DOT when they are required.

BigT

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
It's a 35" tire on a 20" wheel, I wouldn't consider it a low profile.

https://www.tirechain.com/295-65-20.htm

I see that low aspect ratio and id lean to saying its a low profile tire but you do still have 7 1/2" sidewall give or take

I got a set of cheaper chains at the local fleet farm that just run straight across, pulls our 20ft v nose without issue just chaining the rears, but if moneys not an issue by all means get the best, mine probably get used once or twice a year and I don't live in an area that you would need chains hardly ever

my dad actually wore out a set of those cable chains they survived surprisingly well and saw quite a few highway miles, but he definitely opted for real chains the next time

Premium Features