• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Got spanked by an alpine turbo today- suggestions??

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
2' of fresh about 90" total, running an 09 Twisted M8-162 with Kmod conversion, @10 psi on avgas with new Camo 9220M- 3" track.
here's the issue I had a 2010 Impulse Nytro at 16 psi on Avgas with a 174x 2.5" spank my azz so bad it was ridiculous, I set my Kmod on a 4- 90% coupled, least ski lift possible. rear float set at about 190psi, I was getting really good track speed, but when it got really steep the front end was still a good 2-3 feet in the air. i'm thinking I need a 174" but torqued because I just spent almost $1k on the new 3". what else can i do, may try to add another 10 psi on rear float, my gauge doesn't measure above 170 psi. another issue if I leave my Kmod set at a 4 it steers like a freight train.

Shoulda bought an OVS!!!!

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
174 is a huge difference

I've been running kmod for 3 years. I had a 162 on it before and held the skis down just the same. If you're sled is running out of speed up the hill because its underpowered then it's gonna trench in and wheelie right before you get stuck.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
You need a lot less air pressure in your rearshock, start at 150 and you will noticew a difference. the front rear shock, start at about 90#. I have ran that set up with timber rear on a nytro, and fabcraft on a Tm1ooo and have not had issues with ski left in the steep and deep.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
the shocks have been revalved from GSR

#3 valving to coincide with the KMOD skid. I now have 170 psi in the rear float and the idler straps sucked up 1 notch . sled is good to go now.

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Running 10lbs and the Kmod with hardly no wheelie in the deepest heaviest snow. Kevin set me up deadly, I'm on the lowest setting and can't even wheelie it. I DO have the 174x3" but the Pro RMK on a Timbersled cranked with a 174x2.5" was wheelying so mad I couldn't climb with that either. Setup is super critical to the point of calling a sled light or heavy even.

The biggest difference is that I'm running the Raptors front and back on my skid, what an amazing setup! I can pin this sled through the deepest whoops with ease. This new 3" track makes my M-Series a boondock monster like I added a 16" wide track! I only got stuck on the second day when I lost boost down to 5-6lbs.

The only way I could remotely get it to wheely anywhere impressive was by almost coming to a stand still and pinning it in someone elses trench or in the deepest snow mid climb. I can't wait to get my boost issue fixed and work up to +14lbs with this setup!

Kevin knows his skids better than anyone else (I hope so!!!), trust him. If that don't work, soften the front preload some and stiffen up the rear IMO. You have the rear jacked so soften the front, maybe unload the front shocks a tad to help with the steering too.

I have the rear bolts in the position closest to the tunnel. I think you'll need min 12-14lbs boost to play with that Yammi if it's setup right. 10-10lbs I wouldn't worry much. Rider has alot to do with it as does setup, alot of variables at play here...

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
well there u go

you have the Raptors , and a 174, that makes a huge difference as far as rider goes i've been riding since I was 12, I 've been known to have bigger balls than brains- that's not the issue. my sled still wheelie's all the time but now it is somewhat predictably and defiinitely controllable

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
read a bit closer...

If you read a bit more into my thread you'd also see a Pro RMK turbo had the 174x2.5" with Exit shocks and was wheelying way way more and was totally uncontrollable with a Timbersled setup. Day to day conditions and suspension setup were the same as the day you rode. One good, one ****ty.

On my end we both had 174's and in yours and everyone elses theory I should have been wheelying more just cause of the 3" track. Not the case, I'm setup right, he isn't.

Nothing about manufactures or anything like that. I couldn't tell you how many times people rode a sled and felt it was heavier due to lack of proper setup. Not much different in your case. Alot of people complained about stock setup wheelying bad on boost, maybe they had enough track? On my stock 162" power claw I would run out of track before I'd wheelie and it wasn't even trenching bad either until the end of the highmark.

Forums sometimes seem like wasted breath, some people you just can't explain nothing to unless they see it in person. I'm sure even if I showed you videos on youtube it wouldn't do enough justice and it still would be picked apart. Tell Kevin you think it's the shocks and see what he has to say. I say the skid ain't coupling right for wheely control, nothing to do with the track IMO.

Premium Features