• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TM8 wont run..need HELP fellaz

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
haha alright that sounds like a deal to me snowhound!!! speaking with jeff this morning again he informed me that he has had 6-8 sleds this year with bad ecu's, and only one was a turbo, the rest were stockers!

Knzee: i dont have anymore time to spend on the machine for a few days, so the reeds and everything will be looked at on thursday.
Now we're on to something right? Look me up if your ever out this direction, tons on snow this year and it just keeps coming down. I've got over 140" right behind my house as of today @ 6000'. Great riding season in Western, MT, I wish I could spread or fortunes to everyone else who is lacking.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
you bet! I will for sure... a few of us are trying to get something planned for the 3rd weekend in march to come out west! so we'll see what we get accomplished. Ya i heard the snow is epic out there...im jealous!!!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I'm wondering if spraying the ECU housing on the back side with some silicon spray would be a good idea

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
I'm wondering if spraying the ECU housing on the back side with some silicon spray would be a good idea
On my new EFI controller I coated the entire top of it with clear silicon, just to eliminate an potientual of water getting inside. Also like everyone else says put tons of Die-Electric grease in all of the connection points.

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
If you wait and come out this direction the first week of April, their having a BBQ/Turkey Fry up in the Copper Bowls located in Lincon,MT. This is where the big hills of Western, MT are located. It's about 4.5hrs west of Billings, just an FYI, supposed to be tons on riders there showing off the big iron? Look up Copper Creek Bowls on Youtube and it'll give you an idea of the kind of riding. I think some of those hills go from 7K to over 9K in just one pull. It's a great time riding there!!!

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
If your plugs were black and soaking wet the first time this happened, this sounds like the ECU is sending false signals to the injectors "allowing to much fuel". My experience in the past is if moisture gets into any of the electrical components on a turbo'd system "which is already drawing a sh$t load more amps off the stator", it instantly begins to affect the ECU. Once they start to melt down on the inside you'll start having weired symtems like this. Not throwing a worst case senerio at you, but you may want to start looking at the ECU first. I just went through darn near the exact same thing about 6 weeks ago on my turbo'd sled, "Cause": water in the electrical and a fried ECU. Didn't you just buy that sled? I thought I remember seeing you looking for a used turbo a few weeks ago. Oh yeah, and when the ECU begins to go you'll loose your spark.

i too have seen this recently it was the ecu. check the stator if you know how and have a peek reading meter or dva for you multimeter. if the stator is kickin out the power you need, next back probe your ignition coils with everything connected except kill switches and if you got atleast 100v at the coil then the ecu is doin its job spark wise. power from the stator but no power to the coils leads you more towards the ecu

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
Ok so here is what happened. The person that i had purchased the sled from had lied to me, telling me that everything was installed by Jeff @ Dakota Performance. The turbo and such was installed there however later on the owner had the EBC installed by mild to wild motorsports in Mandan. He had wired the EBC, EGTS, Turbo Oil pump to the fuel pumps DC circuit. Ive never seen such a terrible wiring job in my life, connectors cut off and shoved the bare wires into stock connectors then wrapped with electrical tape! But anyways, long story short, all things hooked to the fuel pump circuit robbed too much amperage from pump to pump enough volume into the cylinders, EGT's never did pick up a lean spot because they were too slow, piston tops and everything looked good however we pulled the engine and found a cracked PTO side piston. After we did a complete rebuild, we rewired the whole machine and installed a larger CCU with three circuits to run all the extra gauges. Also pulled the egt's and put an AFR gauge in! Now it is all tuned in and absolutely rips. Thanks to Jeff and his crew for an impeccable job on helping me trouble shoot and fix the problem same day service!

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
haha i would love too logger....but i go back to work tomorrow for 9 days then headed to the big horns next weekend! you might as well cruise up and meet us in wyo next friday!!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
To me it sounds like there is to much fuel pressure or the injector is not spraying right or sticking open, whats your fuel pressure?

Caused by incorrect F/P. Good thing you went to Jeff, he knows his chit, I would feel a lot better about things after he went through it. Glad to hear you got it going.

When you go to the Big horns do you ever ride over here on the NW side.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
your exactly right Wyo. Yes he does, awesome guy to deal with. I feel great about the machine now and after he tuned it she runs sweet. Little bit fat but still rips and is nice and safe for around home riding! I worked right with him while he went through my sled, learned a sh*t load in no time! Ya sometimes we ride on the NW side. Im not sure where we are going next weekend for sure but i can keep ya posted if you'd possibly wanna meet up with us?

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
the post on what happened is on the top of the page! just read through your post and sounds pretty similar to what mine did!

Premium Features