• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the '16 really better than the '15?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Every year I read the gushing reports of how much better this years sled is than last years. The pro is/was supposed to be the ultimate mtn. sled, now I'm reading "wow, one ride on the '16 and you'll never want to get back on an old pos '15 again." Really? Is it really THAT much better? I don't have the ability to ride a '16 so I have to go on info I get here. Is this the year a guy should actually go snowcheck a new sled? or is this just the usual talk of people trying to convince their wifes they need the newest and shiniest? Not trying to stir the pot folks, if it really is a "game changer" how?

T

TheJett29

Dec 6, 2007
Western ND
Take a stock 13-15 pro, put all the skinz goodies on it, boards and front ends, and then see how much better is makes the pro.

Well, the 16 is pretty much coming that way, they tweaked the skinz stuff just enough to say they didn't copy anything.

Until you have ridden a 15 all tricked out with this geometry it is hard to explain. The 16s will be the best out of box sled for boondocking. Proof is in the 15 skinz sled, it just flat out works.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The '15 Pro was the best. But it won't always be the best. Change is inevitable. Make your changes or your competition will. I guess Ski-Doo is learning that now. As far as I'm concerned AC and Yammi should be selling their sleds at 1/2 the cost of Poo and Doo. That should piss someone off.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i rode one last night.it was sweet.lifted and pulled like a turbo.had victoria secrit models with me..then i woke up.LOL

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Depends on your local dealer...

The '15 Pro was the best. But it won't always be the best. Change is inevitable. Make your changes or your competition will. I guess Ski-Doo is learning that now. As far as I'm concerned AC and Yammi should be selling their sleds at 1/2 the cost of Poo and Doo. That should piss someone off.
Have a PRO and 2 Proclimbs, have ridden Doo, but don't own one. Your local dealer and your personal riding preference will determine what's "best" for you. The PRO works very well out of the box, but it isn't perfect. Same can be said for the Cat's I have. Dealer setup and support is key to making any sled "work" in the mountains.
To be honest, it all boils down to the rider. Any of the new sleds are capable, some may require more rider effort or "tweaking" to make them work for you. I know guys that can jump on old iron and embarass decent riders on current sleds, simply because they know how to ride. If you feel the need to have the latest shiny toy, rush out and buy it - you have the right to do so if funds allow.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
00-05 800s broke cranks
05-06 900s broke cranks
08-10 800s broke cylinders/scuffed pistons
11-15 800s broke cylinders/scuffed pistons

I'm sure the '16 800 will be excellent.

Polaris knows how to build a chassis that's for sure.

:)

sled_guy

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Take a stock 13-15 pro, put all the skinz goodies on it, boards and front ends, and then see how much better is makes the pro.

Well, the 16 is pretty much coming that way, they tweaked the skinz stuff just enough to say they didn't copy anything.

Until you have ridden a 15 all tricked out with this geometry it is hard to explain. The 16s will be the best out of box sled for boondocking. Proof is in the 15 skinz sled, it just flat out works.

They definitely didn't copy skinz since they had multiple production-esque prototypes built in 2012. They've been working on this chassis for a while and finally have what they like. 4 seasons on the snow testing with a team of intelligent people working full time to build a sled to outperform the pro RMK.

I guarantee its going to be strides better. That has me pretty jazzed! Well done Polaris!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
00-05 800s broke cranks
05-06 900s broke cranks
11-15 800s broke cylinders/scuffed pistons

sled_guy

Good point, because Ski-Doo and AC have never had issues right? Nothing like rings, engine fires, belts blowing, motors lost, diamond drive failures, etc. You got me convinced.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
00-05 800s broke cranks
05-06 900s broke cranks
11-12 800s broke cylinders/scuffed pistons
13-15 800s as reliable as the other 2smokes.

sled_guy

Fixed it for ya:face-icon-small-win

New chassis is better. Motor is unknown imo.

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
The 2016 rmk is basically a mod sled directly from the manufacturer with warranty. Isn't this what we asked for 5 years ago? 160hp, 408lbs (heard the can is HUGE). I cannot wait to try this thing out in deep snow!

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Every year I read the gushing reports of how much better this years sled is than last years. The pro is/was supposed to be the ultimate mtn. sled, now I'm reading "wow, one ride on the '16 and you'll never want to get back on an old pos '15 again." Really? Is it really THAT much better? I don't have the ability to ride a '16 so I have to go on info I get here. Is this the year a guy should actually go snowcheck a new sled? or is this just the usual talk of people trying to convince their wifes they need the newest and shiniest? Not trying to stir the pot folks, if it really is a "game changer" how?

Jay,

I was lucky enough to ride the 2016 Axys ProRMK.

It is a significant improvement over the Pro. Engine is snappier and more fun to pull the trigger on. Chassis changes direction even better than a Pro. 2.6" track hooks up really well. Polaris brought along a 2015 Pro that we were asked to ride to make a back to back comparison.

The Axys is a substantial jump forward-- to put my opinion in perspective (so I don't sound like the Poo version of snowmobiler) I skipped the 13-15 Pros and improved my existing Pros. Having ridden the latest version of the Pro, I don't feel that I was giving up any performance to the 2013-15 models. I did not feel the need to spend the money.

I installed Indy Specialties TMX3LR motors in my 2011-12's. Geared them to 19-46, TRS clutching, Burandt boards. Warranty support is nearly non existent in the Lake Tahoe area and I'd rather build what I had versus buying the latest and greatest (2013-15) just because.

I want to add an Axys Pro to the fleet. It really is that much better. I don't think any Pro rider will regret buying one.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Is that why all there sponsored riders have been using skinz for the last couple years? Take off your polaris underwear.

People have been modifying sleds to run better in deep snow since they came out.

Before Skinz was born farmers were adding blocks of wood over the leaf springs and installing smaller drivers and taller rear suspension mounts to allow room for the 1" angle iron bolted to the track.

Not really different engineering wise. Mostly just a different decade really so I don't see the argument of which was first in this decade as too important.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
They definitely didn't copy skinz since they had multiple production-esque prototypes built in 2012. They've been working on this chassis for a while and finally have what they like. 4 seasons on the snow testing with a team of intelligent people working full time to build a sled to outperform the pro RMK.

I guarantee its going to be strides better. That has me pretty jazzed! Well done Polaris!

I for one do not drink the Skinz-laid (just the name "Skinz" brings to mind the Aryan Nation, while they may or may not be affiliated, it was a really poor choice of names to choose in my opinion), but since they are a protected advertiser in Harris Publishing's eyes and most of the Administrators and Moderators blindly buy and endorse their products, this post or the whole thread will likely disappear now.

Of course I don't drink the Burandt-laid either, I'll never run the Fox pogo sticks regardless of "who's" valving is in them.

I have my own ideas and I put them into my sleds, I don't need a company that throws out over priced, under engineered, dangerous crap to consumers (the bulk of which is now built overseas). With little to no service or support to the average Joe, the only ones that get catered to are their professional advertisers and other high profile people in the industry, they really couldn't give a sh!t about the little guy that buys their crap.

The AXYS RMK does not emulate any of the Skinz products IMO. Thank God!

Last edited:
T

TheJett29

Dec 6, 2007
Western ND
Well, this has gotten off topic in a hurry.

The question was is the 16 a big improvement over the 15. Answer. YES

Another fact: raised running boards like skinz airlocs, different front end geometry like skinz, that is the skinz ideas that influenced the new pros. You may not agree but when polaris buys parts secretly from skinz to test with on there pros, and then two years later there new chassis has same features, a little more than ironic.

Fact of the matter consumer wins. Companies using other people's designs to test ideas is what keeps pushing the limit is why this sport keeps breaking barriers every couple years.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Well, this has gotten off topic in a hurry.

The question was is the 16 a big improvement over the 15. Answer. YES

Another fact: raised running boards like skinz airlocs, different front end geometry like skinz, that is the skinz ideas that influenced the new pros. You may not agree but when polaris buys parts secretly from skinz to test with on there pros, and then two years later there new chassis has same features, a little more than ironic.

Fact of the matter consumer wins. Companies using other people's designs to test ideas is what keeps pushing the limit is why this sport keeps breaking barriers every couple years.

My point (and you obviously disagree) is that the AXYS does not have Skinz front end geometry. As for the running boards, I call BS on that also. All the changes that have been shown on the AXYS RMK where in the patent filings / drawings submitted in late 2012- early 2013. Long before any of the Skinz products you're claiming were inspirational in the design / development were even thought of.

Back to topic, yes the '16 AXYS RMK will be another huge step forward in technical mountain riding capabilities and will take us to places that could / can not be reached by any other sled / snow bike manufactured to date regardless of brand.

Premium Features