• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine changes

ACTM7

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2008
What is different on the new 800 engine all new or just updates ?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
160 H.P. +

New cases
New crank
New oil pump (now electric)
New exhaust valves ( now electric)
New cylinders (I think-- because of new VES valves)
New bypass thermostat (think its a new head/ head cover b/c of this)

In addition to^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

New style V-Force reeds from the factory

Exhaust valves are (3) stage

Crank shaft is 2 1/2 pounds lighter

Electric oil pump controlled by E.C.U. pushes additional oil during break-in for first 10 +/- hours of run time

AND...........a real 160+ H.P. AFTER break-in on DYNOTECH Jim's dyno

(the same dyno that dyno'd the previous 800's in the mid 140's)

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
AND...........a real 160+ H.P. AFTER break-in on DYNOTECH Jim's dyno

(the same dyno that dyno'd the previous 800 in the mid 140's)

V-Force reeds
exhaust valves are (3) stage

Correct.

Most important, don't ride the new motor unless you are willing to lighten your wallet.... It is substantially stronger than the current 800CFI.

I made the mistake of riding the new AXYS ProRMK....it is that good.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Pistons too.

I'm Actually running the axys pistons in my motor.

With indydans tmx updates for this year I'm swinging 2 grams more clutch wieght per arm than last year with the rest of the clutching the same.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If there was a benefit to having a little more oil at start up until the motor got warm, would an aftermarket fuel controller be able to manage the electric oil pump to provide it?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
This has been posted like 5 times but here it is again.....

"Trail guys are complaining about excessive oil usage"

Sounds great to me. :)

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
In addition to the above;

The new throttle bodies are Siamese'd (cast as one piece) saves another pound or so off the total engine weight.

Reason for the new cases are the engine mount straps are now part of the lower case half, which saves the fastener weight of attaching the straps and allows the engine to sit about 2" lower than it does the PRO which coincidentally puts the effective weight (Center of Gravity) at the same spot as it is on the PRO as the AXYS RMK is essentially lifted 2" with the stretched spindles and the dropped out rear suspension.

The air flow in and out of the engine has been straightened to allow it to flow better, smoother, faster.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Correct.

Most important, don't ride the new motor unless you are willing to lighten your wallet.... It is substantially stronger than the current 800CFI.

I made the mistake of riding the new AXYS ProRMK....it is that good.

I don't understand the comments about how strong the new motor is. I just read some posts on HCS about the old CFI outrunning the new Axys on more than one occasion. Makes ya wonder....

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
This has been posted like 5 times but here it is again.....

"Trail guys are complaining about excessive oil usage"

Sounds great to me. :)

Best news I've heard all day

I don't understand the comments about how strong the new motor is. I just read some posts on HCS about the old CFI outrunning the new Axys on more than one occasion. Makes ya wonder....

First I've heard about this. Have any links to read?

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership

I can only comment on my experience of riding the new 2016 AXYS ProRMK.

I currently have three Indy Specialties LR motors in a 2011 163, 2012 163, 2011 155

The 163s are geared 19-46 and run TRS clutching stock track
The 155 is 19-45 running TRS clutching. Powerclaw track

When I rode the Axys with the new 2.6" 155 track and 7 tooth drivers (gear reduction over 2015), I was surprised at how snappy the motor felt. The 2.5 pound lighter crankshaft lets this motor rev--right now. It accelerates so fast that you can lift the skis on the trail by hammering the throttle. The other place I noticed the power was in North facing drainages where the snow was a little deeper, you could roll off the throttle and get back into it and the rpm would snap right to 8200 and lift the skis out of the snow as the skid jumped on top of the snow. The sled felt stronger than my Pros.-- I did not have my sleds there to do a back to back comparison. There was a stock 2015 Pro 155 there and it felt stronger than that sled also.

I never drag raced the 2015 on a trail. I did not measure its oil consumption.

I just rode it and was impressed.

I want one, actually, I want two. The first one will go to Val-- she'll really like how much easier the Axys Pro RMK changes direction.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
The Axys forum on HCS is 24/7 complaining about how the sleds aren't pulling RPM, getting beat by other brands, getting beat by Pro Ride chassis sleds unfortunately.

http://http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/929-axys-platform/

I see the axys going up and losing to 800 cfi's that have clutching work or other gearing modifications done.

After hearing the reviews of those who rode the axys rmk, not ONE didn't say it was extremely responsive on the low end and "snappier" than the 800 cfi. This is what matters to me. I couldn't give a **** less who wins in a drag race. My .02

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I see the axys going up and losing to 800 cfi's that have clutching work or other gearing modifications done.

After hearing the reviews of those who rode the axys rmk, not ONE didn't say it was extremely responsive on the low end and "snappier" than the 800 cfi. This is what matters to me. I couldn't give a **** less who wins in a drag race. My .02

I agree completely. Just pointing out what's been said about the existing 800 HO motors that are out there. Unfortunately the group of riders that have them now have little input that matters to the RMK group.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I agree completely. Just pointing out what's been said about the existing 800 HO motors that are out there. Unfortunately the group of riders that have them now have little input that matters to the RMK group.

Exactly. It's hard to tell from a drag race what really is going on. Sleds can be tinkered with and setup differently, different riders, slightly different snow conditions (One guy hits a hard patch of snow in the first 40 feet and that makes a huge difference). Responsiveness and ride reports is what matters to me :eyebrows:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
If there was a benefit to having a little more oil at start up until the motor got warm, would an aftermarket fuel controller be able to manage the electric oil pump to provide it?

The stock calibration already does this...

The calibration engineers aren't kindergarteners

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Sounds like a hit but I wonder about the 15 mile trail to deep snow , can you keep the skies on the trail coming out of corners and such?

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Sounds like a hit but I wonder about the 15 mile trail to deep snow , can you keep the skies on the trail coming out of corners and such?

Your comment is infuriating. Every year, every brand, there's this die hard contingent of so-called mountain riders wringing their hands over trail handling. IT'S A MOUNTAIN SLED. Bitching about the lack of trail manners on a mountain sled is like complaining that you can't haul sheets of plywood in the back of your Corvette. Given that the current state of technology renders superior trail performance essentially impossible on a machine PURPOSE BUILT for superior off-trail, deep snow performance, it's an absolutely nonsensical argument.

If you have 15 miles of trail to run on your way the mountains? Put scratchers on and run that trail as fast as you feel you can go. If that amount of fast isn't as fast as you could go on a trail sled, and that's important to you? Then turn your back to the hills, get yourself a sled that corners like a motherf***er, and go bang ditches.

I ride a mountain sled. Because it's a mountain sled it's set up to perform in deep snow. Period. Deep snow handling--that's my priority. Now, with the long track and suspension set up to excel where it was designed to, it's a death trap at high speed in the twisties. Know what I do? I slow down in all but the widest, smoothest turns.

Because it's a mountain sled.

And trail handling isn't even on my list of concerns.

/end rant

Premium Features